MG4 recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew of the locking in software update as my dealer told me of it the other day, but if there's an actual recall I'd like to hear when the first owner gets the call. Or is it like the oil leak and they'll apply the update to the as yet uncollected cars, but wait for owners to complain before retro installing it?
I would hope that as the DVSA are involved that it will be a proper recall.
It will be a proper recall it was me who contacted the dvsa.

Yes I am doing exactly the same tonight I have had the new software for the recall and I can tell you now it does not work.went to car this morning couldn’t put it into drive or anything screen errors this is the final straw it’s a complete death trap car
Sorry, but the recall has nothing to do with the problems you are experiencing with your car. The discussed recall is with regard to the instances of people being locked into their cars when the key loses communication with the car.
By the sound of it, your car has a different fault, and should definitely be a return to dealer as you are intending.

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed your post where in fact it was yourself who contacted DVSA!

Sorry, but the recall has nothing to do with the problems you are experiencing with your car. The discussed recall is with regard to the instances of people being locked into their cars when the key loses communication with the car.
By the sound of it, your car has a different fault, and should definitely be a return to dealer as you are intending.

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed your post where in fact it was yourself who contacted DVSA!
Yes it was myself who had the locking in the car fault they applied update otherday had car back 1 day go to use this morning wouldn’t start the dial in centre wasn’t illuminated couldn’t select to drive etc just got home now the car has now started up it’s going back to dealership tonight if I can get there with it aa/mg assist were called awaiting them arriving

Out of curiosity did you use the i smart app first to put heating on etc as all my issue seem to come from using the heating on phone beforehand.the software is so unstable
No, I was at a football match and came back to cold car. I assumed it was from my haste to get it started as was so cold and probably pressed the brake too soon during start up.

No, I was at a football match and came back to cold car. I assumed it was from my haste to get it started as was so cold and probably pressed the brake too soon during start up.
I set my car to warm up with app got in as normal and the screen flashed on and off again and dial had no lights I got out locked it got back in still no lights so used my other car to get to work.come home and got in as usual and it started up this software is crap. It’s going back to dealer I took a video of the screens when fault was present as proof

Received mine today and dealer said they 'had' to apply a software update to prevent the lock in... They've been told not to let any out without the update, so my money is on this being it too

My local dealer had an orange Trophy sitting in the showroom which I noticed today was sitting around in their workshop. I wondered if someone had bought it but maybe it was getting an update applied?

I wonder if its why they took so long to sort mine, they were informed of the recall software and waited. Time will tell I guess.

I have been told by my dealer, that I can't get my mg4. Before they have updated the DMS (driver monitoring system), don't ask me what it is. Only other information I got, was that it was a safety system. That mg had told them not to deliver the car until it was fixed. They couldn't give me a timetable, for when it would be resolved. I hope it's only a software problem.

I have been told by my dealer, that I can't get my mg4. Before they have updated the DMS (driver monitoring system), don't ask me what it is. Only other information I got, was that it was a safety system. That mg had told them not to deliver the car until it was fixed. They couldn't give me a timetable, for when it would be resolved. I hope it's only a software problem.
That sounds like the Driver Awareness software fix. It stops the system "bonging" at you every time you glance away, blink, wear glasses or just look at it wrong. It shouldn't take long for the dealer to apply the update.
If it's the software fix to stop you getting locked in the car if the key battery fails, then that most definitely is safety critical, but again, shouldn't take long to install - 1 day perhaps?

MG really should have over adopted over the air updates by now

Last edited:
MG really should have over adopted the air updates by now
I think the problem is with iffy internet connections and not enough RAM memory in the car. There also has been a couple of occasions where the car has been bricked at the dealers during a software update.

Yes. Wi-Fi is the way to go. Wi-Fi enabled cars can connect to a suitable source when available and download updates.

Does it need WiFi when it has a built in esim data connection? Just thinking of people who park nowhere near a connection source at home or only for short periods away from home. Yes the esim is only as good as the local network but you could argue the same with wifi. My current car has the capability but whether its a lack of confidence or design/capacity restrictions, only infotainment updates OTA at the moment via the esim.

I think the problem is with iffy internet connections and not enough RAM memory in the car. There also has been a couple of occasions where the car has been bricked at the dealers during a software update.
Yeah, that would be my worry. I’d much rather the car was bricked at the dealership than on my driveway. At least then I’d have a courtesy car to get about in.

No, many operate ok with just a sim and use background partial downloads where signal/speed allows.
Having a wifi module adds another option. I use my wifi at home when parked on the drive, but I appreciate others may not be able to and would rely on mobile hotspots.
OTA should really be standard now on modern new EV’s.

It’s no different to other computers that you may have In my opinion. You wouldn’t take your laptop or iPad back to Microsoft or Apple every time it had an update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums