MG4 recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s no different to other computers that you may have In my opinion. You wouldn’t take your laptop or iPad back to Microsoft or Apple every time it had an update.
But you wouldn't rely on your laptop or ipad to transport you to a gatesville/genius if it bricked 🚗 😱....😁

But you wouldn't rely on your laptop or ipad to transport you to a gatesville/genius if it bricked 🚗 😱....😁
Yes, good point. The issue with MG updates and their current unreliability (I have no info on how unreliable or how much bricking is happening) should not prevent progress and OTA is definitely the future. Tesla have had OTA from day 1, so it can be done.

Yes, good point. The issue with MG updates and their current unreliability (I have no info on how unreliable or how much bricking is happening) should not prevent progress and OTA is definitely the future. Tesla have had OTA from day 1, so it can be done.
Don’t get me wrong, were OTA updates reliable I’d gladly do it this way.

I'm glad they aren't updating the car OTA to be honest. The car is currently working with no problems for us and I'd like to keep it that way.

I do want the locking in fix though once it's confirmed as working.

Yes I am doing exactly the same tonight I have had the new software for the recall and I can tell you now it does not work.went to car this morning couldn’t put it into drive or anything screen errors this is the final straw it’s a complete death trap car
All this is not good, regret going for the 4 now, I was more than happy with my old mg5 excite, hindsight is a great thing suppose, seriously contemplating going back to an ice, just don’t have confidence anymore.

All this is not good, regret going for the 4 now, I was more than happy with my old mg5 excite, hindsight is a great thing suppose, seriously contemplating going back to an ice, just don’t have confidence anymore.
That’s such a shame. Any new models can have issues. Stick with it if you can and it will come good.

Proper testing and robust back-ups should provide an OTA update system that doesn't lead to bricked cars. As others have said, Tesla manage it. As do Google, Microsoft and Apple essentially.
Of course, ideally they'd allow customers to opt in for more rapid updates or stick with dealer-delivered updates.
Whether wi-fi, esim or by customers downloading a package into a pendrive and plugging it in is less of an issue in my view.

"Proper testing and robust back-ups should provide an OTA update system that doesn't lead to bricked cars"

Put that in context with MG testing standards at the moment....Tesla are far better now and do have less "bricking" but when it occurs they have rangers to come out to the owner and resolve it. Perhaps moving forward manufacturers/dealers need a different support model

This is an interesting read

That sounds like the Driver Awareness software fix. It stops the system "bonging" at you every time you glance away, blink, wear glasses or just look at it wrong. It shouldn't take long for the dealer to apply the update.
If it's the software fix to stop you getting locked in the car if the key battery fails, then that most definitely is safety critical, but again, shouldn't take long to install - 1 day perhaps?
Been waiting for over a week to get the fix done. So guessing there isn't one at the moment, for what ever the problem is. So my car is standing nicely in the showroom, with my winter tyres. Can at least go and have a look at it.

Driven mine today after a bit of a top up yesterday. Steadfastly refuses to go past 60mph .
Will factory restore later; charge overnight and see what it's like in the morning.
Fortunately Glyn Hopkins East London is just round the corner from my workplace so if it misbehaves I may be able to drop it in for them to have a look at .

Driven mine today after a bit of a top up yesterday. Steadfastly refuses to go past 60mph .
Will factory restore later; charge overnight and see what it's like in the morning.
Fortunately Glyn Hopkins East London is just round the corner from my workplace so if it misbehaves I may be able to drop it in for them to have a look at .
Just restored and notice the main battery display has turned orange again.
Does anyone have any idea what that mean. I know it was mentioned in another thread.

Just restored and notice the main battery display has turned orange again.
Does anyone have any idea what that mean. I know it was mentioned in another thread.
The only reply I've seen in a thread, from MG UK, is that it's a gremlin rather than having a specific meaning.

Hi, I was picking up my MG tomorrow. Got a call from the dealer today telling me this won't be happening. MG have recalled the MG4 for an oil leak from the differential?. Anyone else had the same phone call...

Hi, I was picking up my MG tomorrow. Got a call from the dealer today telling me this won't be happening. MG have recalled the MG4 for an oil leak from the differential?. Anyone else had the same phone call...

no we are collecting our trophy tomorrow maybe they spotted it during the PDI

Mine's waiting for the new breather to arrive at the dealer, but that was me reporting the leak and the dealer making arrangements rather than MG issuing a recall.

Oh my gosh! Presumably yours didn’t come from the first batch, at least it’s been identified prior to collection though.

Any chance you can add your post to the ‘restricted speed’ thread?
Cheers

I've just collected mine today. It's the rare one, you know, the one with the new breather fitted proactively by the dealer and a flat rear tray. Collector's item 😂
Do you know if the dealer saw the oil leak, or signs of the oil leak, which prompted them to have the new breather fitted?

Oh my gosh! Presumably yours didn’t come from the first batch, at least it’s been identified prior to collection though.

All cars delivered to date in the UK were built before the first were delivered. So any improvements are likely issues identified at the factory that should never have been delivered (such as the Trophy driver awareness camera) or improvements in the PDI process rectifying issues. True improvements in factory production from experience of the first UK deliveries will not arrive until the New Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums