MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Ok so if we believe your side of the argument, the oil leak fix and recall for being locked in has come about through a handful of people on here.
Which seems more likely?
Going back to the dealer and reporting to MG is what got the oil leak on their radar, this was confirmed months ago by Miles from MG Chorley, it had been escalated to the highest level internally. He confirmed that MG don't read forums, and only dealer reports are the route to escalation. I don't know what has happened since or why it is taking so long to get a proper fix for some.

The lock-in fix and recall happened very quickly, the fix was available within a week from MG (taken a lot longer to get dealers to book people in for it). It is unknown if DVSA pressure led to that or if MG was already working to fix it.

It is helpful if people take their cars back to the dealer and approach DVSA for anything they consider to be a serious issue.

It is helpful for people to share their direct experiences, experiments and suggestions here. Just as you did on your speed-limit thread.

It is not helpful to speculate on motivations, throw hands up in the air or otherwise create noise. However, I am sure people will continue to do so.

All I have ever tried to do is understand the context and extent of these issues accurately. For example the oil leak poll (which I created BTW) indicated that only 50% of those responding experienced the oil leak issue. MG themselves say it is a minority.

50% of those responding is quite a high minority 😉plus I treat anything that comes out of MG official channels with a large dose of cynicism. Evidence for me is the treatment I and others had from MG customer care, also my MG dealer head of service is fantastic. He hasn’t yet seen a 4 that didn’t leak

If I get problems I WILL report them here, rest assured you'll get entirely more detail than you probably want!

I look forward to it! Oh wait, no I don’t, I’m trying to be nice 😬

So its official - my local MG dealership has confirmed I do have the Leak, modification parts have I understand been or are being ordered...
Not sure how much oil they topped up with - But the tech chap was very helpful with his description in the Video walk around - So I'm happy with where I'm at :)

Remains to be seen re the s/w updates that Ive had ..

Ok so if we believe your side of the argument, the oil leak fix and recall for being locked in has come about through a handful of people on here.
Which seems more likely?
One person reporting the locking in issue to the DVSA would instigate an issues appraisal by the DVSA who if they deemed it sufficient would contact the manufacturer to investigate and provide a fix.

So one report could instigate the lock in recall.

One person reporting the locking in issue to the DVSA would instigate an issues appraisal by the DVSA who if they deemed it sufficient would contact the manufacturer to investigate and provide a fix.

So one report could instigate the lock in recall.
For reference - I did mention I think yesterday my 4 was going in today and one of the 'Campaign's' that I fell under was - RC008 MG4 Locking Functionality software update - I had not reported ANY locking issues prior - So the dealer was doing this c/o MG pushing the campaign

Yeah - that's the code on my "invoice" (zero cost) from when I got the update. That makes me think RC means Recall Campaign ... but I don't think there have been 7 previous recalls! (Unless the sequence number applies regardless of model, which suggests that MG have initiated 7 previous recalls across their various models).

Yeah - that's the code on my "invoice" (zero cost) from when I got the update. That makes me think RC means Recall Campaign ... but I don't think there have been 7 previous recalls! (Unless the sequence number applies regardless of model, which suggests that MG have initiated 7 previous recalls across their various models).
invoice?
my dealer supplied nothing for the 2 oil leaking fixing and the S/W recall.
I have asked for record when the fist time that they claimed they have fixed the oil leaking, but they told me they will invoice MG not me. So no paperwork to give me.

I got paperwork (hence "invoice" in quotes) from my dealer that (briefly) detailed the work they carried out. (That'll be what they use as proof to invoice MG for the warranty work I presume).

Come home from work and log onto my phone for the first time in ages and it's all going on! I'm not even involved or to blame in any way😇

Sorry to hear that Dionny. What has your dealer said about it?
Will be looked at later this month, but mine is surely one of the lemons:

• Oil leak
  • Whistling / screaming sound from rear spoiler
  • Severe vibrations / rumbling
  • Wind noise from passengerdoor or quarterwindow.
  • Infotainment version R24 vs. R33 (who knows?)
  • and uhh.. no mats at all in the car.

Will be looked at later this month, but mine is surely one of the lemons:

• Oil leak
  • Whistling / screaming sound from rear spoiler
  • Severe vibrations / rumbling
  • Wind noise from passengerdoor or quarterwindow.
  • Infotainment version R24 vs. R33 (who knows?)
  • and uhh.. no mats at all in the car.
Fingers crossed, your dealer can get it all sorted sooner rather than later. 🤞

About the mats, had you discussed getting them before picking up the car? Mine should have them when I go to pick it up on Saturday, but I won’t know for sure until I’m there.

Tuesday update:

I have had a few phone calls today, 2 with the sales department and 1 with the service department.

1, Phoned the sales department before lunch, a lady answered the call, requesting to speak to the sales manager. but he isn't around.

so went through the problems with her.
For sure she is fully aware of the popular oil leaking issue, and fully understands that 3 attempts to fix the same issue is unacceptable for a new car. But she can only pass information to the service department and the sales manager.

I told her that I simply want what I paid for:

- a new MG4 without oil leaking

- I need formal written formal statement from the dealer for what they have done regarding the oil leaking fix

- I need the dealer to provide a formal written solution if the car is leaking again after the third attempt.

- I will not accept the car back without the above 2 formal statements from the dealer.

She promised that she will find out the progress with the service department and inform both the service and sales managers of my request.

2. 1 hour later, I received a phone call from the service manager. Guess what? The lady in sales said nothing to the service manager.

Nothing new, just told me that he ordered a new pipe and should arrive today or Wednesday. And they will also look into the issues on both front doors. which they claimed in February both have been fixed.

3, As I don't have faith with the dealer, I emailed the service manager, basically the same as the conversion with the lady from the sales department.

I also told them that I'm fully aware of the legal part of this game, this must be resolved sooner rather than later and I'll not let this pass the 6 month timeline.
*I also attached the link of this topic in the same email

4, The sales manager phoned me about 1 hour after the email. From the email chain, I can see the service manager forward my email to the sales manager just about 5 minutes before the the phone call.

- The sales manager claims that he knows nothing about the car being dropped back to the service department 3 times. I don't believe it is true.

- Again, he claimesthat only a few early cars had the oil leaking issue. I asked him how many, and he said only 4-5 cars. Based on the daily conversions that I have had with the service manager, this can't be true. The service manager has no confident that he can fix the issue, basiclly he only can do what MG UK told him.

- he said that he will chase up the progress for the oil leaking issue and find out why the door issues were not addressed. Later email just said that the service manager will call me "to discuss next actions and timescales"

- I told him what we need as per the email again, he confirmed that they will provide a solution if it leaks again after the 3rd fixing attempt. Later email he confirmed as below:

"As per our conversation, I would hope that the current repair will fix the oil leaking issue. However, should this not be the case then we will need to look at next steps regarding a solution.
Of course, the keyless entry issue will need to be rectified along with the issue with the passenger door and these too will be looked at."

Now wait and see.

Wednesday update:
no phone calls received from the dealer on Wednesday, so I called them.

The service manager said the second pipe fitted successfully, ordered a new driver side door handle to fix the locking button issue (but on back order, it will be a long wait), they will look into the passenger door on Thursday (should be just alignment adjustment, but who knows).
Let's see how they can prove the 3rd attempt can fix the leaking what kind written words they are going to supply this time.

I assume changing the oil on the reduction gears isn't a service item?

If it is, it would be interesting to see how much oil is drained from cars which don't have the leak.
It would not surprise me if it became a service item to change the oil and was added to a chargeable item at service.

The oil is enclosed within the reduction gearbox which is attached to the motor assembly to the rear of the vehicle above the rear undertray as such without draining it down you don't know how much is left inside the unit
Semi-enclosed….

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel