MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Nothing obvious there from your photos. How does the debris on the rear undertray "feel"? Does it feel oily?

Picked up my Trophy on 29 December. I was assured that all software updates had been done (including locking in) and that breather issue had been sorted before delivery. Pigs were clearly flying high that day as:

I have the oil leak (parts ordered today)
My car did not have the locked in update (updated today)
My car infotainment system was R30 not R33 (updated today)

MG were NOT proactive about the locked in update ( I found out myself it was needed)

i check my block paving weekly for signs of dripped oil and have never seen any, but dealer showed me a video of oil streaks on the undertray, so leak is either very recent or small

i have done 1400 miles of mixed motoring.

Picked up my Trophy on 29 December. I was assured that all software updates had been done (including locking in) and that breather issue had been sorted before delivery. Pigs were clearly flying high that day as:

I have the oil leak (parts ordered today)
My car did not have the locked in update (updated today)
My car infotainment system was R30 not R33 (updated today)

MG were NOT proactive about the locked in update ( I found out myself it was needed)

i check my block paving weekly for signs of dripped oil and have never seen any, but dealer showed me a video of oil streaks on the undertray, so leak is either very recent or small

i have done 1400 miles of mixed motoring.
Again another ridiculous example of being caught telling blatant lies.

Thank you. I've been out and had a feel around and it doesn't feel oily. Fingers crossed that I'm ok then. (Famous last words!)
This is my Trophy when I had the leak after just 40 miles.

Photo taken from rear of car. Look for splash and dripping on left side

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230317_213125_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230317_213125_Gallery.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 125
  • Screenshot_20230317_213248_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230317_213248_Gallery.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 134
My case, photo taken on the second day, only added about 20 miles to the clock.

IMG_20221201_171127.jpgIMG_20221202_112231.jpg

Photo taken on 21st Feb, just before second time drop to dealer for the oil leaking issue.
And the driveway has nothing before MG4 arrived. So all the oil marks are from mg4.

IMG_20230221_074200.jpgIMG_20230221_074205.jpg

Nothing yet from our Trophy, has done 500 miles.

Photo taken on 21st Feb, just before second time drop to dealer for the oil leaking issue.
And the driveway has nothing before MG4 arrived. So all the oil marks are from mg4.
What's the manufacture date of yours? Trying to see if they made any production changes to find out why some cars leak almost immediately and others don't. Mine was made end of November '22.

What's the manufacture date of yours? Trying to see if they made any production changes to find out why some cars leak almost immediately and others don't. Mine was made end of November '22.
Is the manufacture date derived from the VINcode? I can't find on the internet how the MG4 VINcode is build up. I am quite sure that MG changed something inside the transmission box starting from date X. It seems to me this is the only way to find this date by comparing manufacture dates and y/n oil leak? So good idea Tjedge!

I check my car every Saturday as I do a motorway journey every Friday. I am now at nearly 2000 miles have a Trophy I collected on 4th February and it has the modified breather fitted. As yet no oil leak. I do not have a build date as it was not in the car when I collected. If anyone now's how to work out the build date from the vin then please let me know. I am off to Cornwall for the week on Monday so that will be a big test to see if it will leak with sustained motorway use. Fingers crossed 🤞. Hope it has oil in it. 😄

Is the manufacture date derived from the VINcode? I can't find on the internet how the MG4 VINcode is build up. I am quite sure that MG changed something inside the transmission box starting from date X. It seems to me this is the only way to find this date by comparing manufacture dates and y/n oil leak? So good idea Tjedge!
Look in the plastic wallet in the glovebox ... that should have the certificate of conformity, and the build date is on that. :)

I picked up my car on Wednesday. The tech reckoned that there 'may' be a recall for this but they were not permitted to do anything unless a fault (leak) is identified on the individual car and work is authorised by MGUK.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back