MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

These are the main parts for the conversion. Might get them for a fiver with a bulk order, cheaper than a new driveway :LOL:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Nice job Macadoodle, I'm tempted to try something similar myself.

I think running a little less oil than the 900ml of oil stated in the manual is probably OK, I do still wonder if it would be covered by the warranty if the reduction gear or diff were to fail in the future!

I'm still scratching my head trying to work out why they signed this off with the breather in seemingly the worst position possible :unsure:
Looking at the outside of the casing, he original breather position is pretty much directly above where the motor cog and the intermediate shaft cog mesh. As the motor cog reaches thousands of RPM, I can imagine it flinging a strong spray upwards towards the breather, be cool to get an endoscope in there for a snoop.
With the breather side mounted, it dodges the direct spray from any of the gears I guess, simple when you think about it.

I'm still scratching my head trying to work out why they signed this off with the breather in seemingly the worst position possible :unsure:
Looking at the outside of the casing, he original breather position is pretty much directly above where the motor cog and the intermediate shaft cog mesh. As the motor cog reaches thousands of RPM, I can imagine it flinging a strong spray upwards towards the breather, be cool to get an endoscope in there for a snoop.
With the breather side mounted, it dodges the direct spray from any of the gears I guess, simple when you think about it.

Maybe the car was rushed to market so some research was cut short? SAIC did say that the MG4 was going to be a game changer car for them.

Its from an ICE automatic transmission, but MG probably has forgotten something like '210'
20230314_085731-COLLAGE.jpg

Its from an ICE automatic transmission, but MG probably has forgotten something like '210'
That could possibly be the problem I agree, but to correct that would mean a major strip down and modification of the unit, something I don’t see MG motors doing.
So the best bet I see at the moment is what macadoodle has fitted in affect a easy and cheap work around the issue, appears to be doing that so far and if it continues to, MG have got to sit up and take notice because if they don’t it will destroy their reputation and with lots of new products coming to market quite soon now people will turn away from MG vehicles.
Les.

Has anyone else been charged an inspection fee - prior to doing any warranty work on the regen leak ? - If I carry on with the inspection I have a fee to pay !
No - tell them to "do one" and find anther MG dealer. (You don't have to use the selling dealer, even for warranty work).

Has anyone else been charged an inspection fee - prior to doing any warranty work on the regen leak ? - If I carry on with the inspection I have a fee to pay !
No fee to pay if it is a warranty issue, if they try to charge tell them to contact MG for the money.

I think the inspection fee is in play, as it might or might not be leaking (visibly) if its not then no claim and hence I have to pay..

I suppose if I pay and they say my car has already had a mod fitted (which It could have) & there is no leak then when I have the leak I have that as a come back ? - You said no leak etc etc - Although I can just see the reply - AH sir that was on the day when we inspected.... Hmmm Blahhh

This isnt the selling dealer - This is my local ..

Lunchtime I'm going picture taking - Suns out - & its dry here - So its under the back - looking at the passenger side rear (inside for motor) and up ??

Incidentally - They are doing the following:

RC008 MG4 Locking S/W Update
&
MG4 Campaign SC47 EH32 S/W update

Which I hope will adjust the lane awareness and the hand on steering wheel alerts (even though both hands are on at that time of alert)

We shall see ...

Tuesday update:

I have had a few phone calls today, 2 with the sales department and 1 with the service department.

1, Phoned the sales department before lunch, a lady answered the call, requesting to speak to the sales manager. but he isn't around.

so went through the problems with her.
For sure she is fully aware of the popular oil leaking issue, and fully understands that 3 attempts to fix the same issue is unacceptable for a new car. But she can only pass information to the service department and the sales manager.

I told her that I simply want what I paid for:

- a new MG4 without oil leaking

- I need formal written formal statement from the dealer for what they have done regarding the oil leaking fix

- I need the dealer to provide a formal written solution if the car is leaking again after the third attempt.

- I will not accept the car back without the above 2 formal statements from the dealer.

She promised that she will find out the progress with the service department and inform both the service and sales managers of my request.

2. 1 hour later, I received a phone call from the service manager. Guess what? The lady in sales said nothing to the service manager.

Nothing new, just told me that he ordered a new pipe and should arrive today or Wednesday. And they will also look into the issues on both front doors. which they claimed in February both have been fixed.

3, As I don't have faith with the dealer, I emailed the service manager, basically the same as the conversion with the lady from the sales department.

I also told them that I'm fully aware of the legal part of this game, this must be resolved sooner rather than later and I'll not let this pass the 6 month timeline.
*I also attached the link of this topic in the same email

4, The sales manager phoned me about 1 hour after the email. From the email chain, I can see the service manager forward my email to the sales manager just about 5 minutes before the the phone call.

- The sales manager claims that he knows nothing about the car being dropped back to the service department 3 times. I don't believe it is true.

- Again, he claimesthat only a few early cars had the oil leaking issue. I asked him how many, and he said only 4-5 cars. Based on the daily conversions that I have had with the service manager, this can't be true. The service manager has no confident that he can fix the issue, basiclly he only can do what MG UK told him.

- he said that he will chase up the progress for the oil leaking issue and find out why the door issues were not addressed. Later email just said that the service manager will call me "to discuss next actions and timescales"

- I told him what we need as per the email again, he confirmed that they will provide a solution if it leaks again after the 3rd fixing attempt. Later email he confirmed as below:

"As per our conversation, I would hope that the current repair will fix the oil leaking issue. However, should this not be the case then we will need to look at next steps regarding a solution.
Of course, the keyless entry issue will need to be rectified along with the issue with the passenger door and these too will be looked at
."

Now wait and see.

Tuesday update:

I have had a few phone calls today, 2 with the sales department and 1 with the service department.

1, Phoned the sales department before lunch, a lady answered the call, requesting to speak to the sales manager. but he isn't around.

so went through the problems with her.
For sure she is fully aware of the popular oil leaking issue, and fully understands that 3 attempts to fix the same issue is unacceptable for a new car. But she can only pass information to the service department and the sales manager.

I told her that I simply want what I paid for:

- a new MG4 without oil leaking

- I need formal written formal statement from the dealer for what they have done regarding the oil leaking fix

- I need the dealer to provide a formal written solution if the car is leaking again after the third attempt.

- I will not accept the car back without the above 2 formal statements from the dealer.

She promised that she will find out the progress with the service department and inform both the service and sales managers of my request.

2. 1 hour later, I received a phone call from the service manager. Guess what? The lady in sales said nothing to the service manager.

Nothing new, just told me that he ordered a new pipe and should arrive today or Wednesday. And they will also look into the issues on both front doors. which they claimed in February both have been fixed.

3, As I don't have faith with the dealer, I emailed the service manager, basically the same as the conversion with the lady from the sales department.

I also told them that I'm fully aware of the legal part of this game, this must be resolved sooner rather than later and I'll not let this pass the 6 month timeline.
*I also attached the link of this topic in the same email

4, The sales manager phoned me about 1 hour after the email. From the email chain, I can see the service manager forward my email to the sales manager just about 5 minutes before the the phone call.

- The sales manager claims that he knows nothing about the car being dropped back to the service department 3 times. I don't believe it is true.

- Again, he claimesthat only a few early cars had the oil leaking issue. I asked him how many, and he said only 4-5 cars. Based on the daily conversions that I have had with the service manager, this can't be true. The service manager has no confident that he can fix the issue, basiclly he only can do what MG UK told him.

- he said that he will chase up the progress for the oil leaking issue and find out why the door issues were not addressed. Later email just said that the service manager will call me "to discuss next actions and timescales"

- I told him what we need as per the email again, he confirmed that they will provide a solution if it leaks again after the 3rd fixing attempt. Later email he confirmed as below:

"As per our conversation, I would hope that the current repair will fix the oil leaking issue. However, should this not be the case then we will need to look at next steps regarding a solution.
Of course, the keyless entry issue will need to be rectified along with the issue with the passenger door and these too will be looked at
."

Now wait and see.
They sound like they haven't a clue.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video