MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

I was wondering if anyone who'd raised a case with DVSA had heard anything more (after responding to the questionnaire sent by DVSA)? I haven't.

Update:
It has been 10 days that's dealer accept the rejection and confirm that they will locate another car for me.
Only offered me a black one last week.
And still no idea when we can have what we have paid for.

Update:
It has been 10 days that's dealer accept the rejection and confirm that they will locate another car for me.
28th March update:
Things complete dirty now.
Emailed dealer yesterday to chase the replacement car.
Phoned them today, guess what?
The sales manager told me that he can not locate car for me. Therefore the original car has been fixed. The he said he can guarantee no more leaking. He said he also willing to put in writing to confirm that they will still take the car back after 6 months legal period if the car still leaks from same area.
I questioned that why the first 2 leaking attempts didn't work and why the third one is working and no explaination or detail supplied what has happened. Also told me the both doors have been fixed which of course didn't.
Then he said that wasn't him, it was someone else and he knows nothing about what their service department told me for the previous oil leaking fix and door fix.
He said nothing he can do, all he can do is report the case to his boss. He asked me to email him and he will pass to his boss.
I told him I need talk to his boss and asked his to boss to call me.
I also told me that we must have a solution before next Friday or we will take formal legal action.
The latest commitment is he will pass my previous complaint email to his boss and ask his boss to give a call today or tomorrow.
I feel this case will be end up the same as HQW's case - legal battle.
Glad I kept the evidence that I let them have chance to fix the issue but they didn't fix it.

The dealer is MG Newbury, part of the Waylands group.

Probably hardly any oil in it now, that will be the fix!!

I'd be rejecting it, bag of nails

Update:
Was it very difficult to get the rejection approved?

What if you decided instead of another car you wanted a full refund instead?

Was it very difficult to get the rejection approved?

What if you decided instead of another car you wanted a full refund instead?
first, today is the first time they told us that MG UK refuse the rejection. but doesn't matter for me as I signed the contract with Waylands, not MG UK. that's their issue. I have evidence that Waylands tried more than once to fix same issues but the car still has the same issue.
second, that's what we are thinking now.

Would they really risk serious damage to the gearbox which they would have to replace under warranty?
Who know what they are going to do? I mean the dealers, MG UK or SAIC.
  • Many MG dealers just ignored the leaking issue in other EU countries.
  • MG told some of their customer to keep using the car until no more leaking in China.
  • In the UK, there is a dealer even denies leaking is a issue. HQW ended with formal legal battle to reject car. Clearly MG UK's support doesn't exist. You can find more detail in his post at below link: [Car finally rejected] Recalcitrant Dealer
  • The longer that we kept the car the more money that the dealer can take from the reduction as per The Consumer Rights Act 2015. God knows how they are going to calculate, but I can 100% guarantee you that the dealers have far more experience than us the users for such case and the dealers will do their best math to make the reduction as large as possible.
Even the leak discovered and reported to the dealer on the second day of the ownership, the car was sitting in the dealer's workshop between the 8th - 23rd Dec, that's more than 2 weeks of the first 30 days.
The result is I lost the chance to reject the faulty car and get full refund.
If the first repair job can be done sooner rather than over 2 weeks, for sure I will discover the fix didn't work and I'll reject the car to get full refund.

As a guide, any reduction should be based on the number of miles x a typical pence per mile excess mileage charge used for PCP etc. deals. So an example might be:

1000 miles
20p per mile
Charge = £200

It really should be a minimal charge - I don't think they're allowed to factor in "drive away from the dealer, lose 20%" depreciation as part of the calculation in such circumstances.

That’s for pcp or other types of hire purchasing
What about if you paid in lump sum for the car?

Could you get it all back if you have faults with the car within 30 days?

Within 30 days and exercising Short Term/Initial Right To Reject - yes. After 30 days and exercising the Final Right To Reject then a mileage reduction would apply ... my example was just to give an idea of the scale of the reduction. These apply regardless of how the purchase was financed.

As a guide, any reduction should be based on the number of miles x a typical pence per mile excess mileage charge used for PCP etc. deals. So an example might be:

1000 miles
20p per mile
Charge = £200

It really should be a minimal charge - I don't think they're allowed to factor in "drive away from the dealer, lose 20%" depreciation as part of the calculation in such circumstances.
For someone changed tongue rapidly from "I'll locate another car for you" to "no, I can't find a car to locate to you".
I believe they will do everything they can to increase that 20p/mile to very high number.
Why we as customer who been given a faulty car take the cost? Who is paying the cost to clean my driveway and the time that we spend to sort out the faulty car?
They have already sold the car that we traded in, and the dealer surely not going to share the profit with us.

We didn't ask for anything stupid.
Our request is very simple, we want a brand new MG4 without issue as per the contract and PDI that we signed.

I have had a hour long conversation with someone higher than the sales manager yesterday and eceived email from him today.
Same story, Waylands claimed the car has been fixed just the same as what they said to us back to 23rd Dec 2022 and 1st March 2023.
Still pushing us to take the original faulty car.

For someone changed tongue rapidly from "I'll locate another car for you" to "no, I can't find a car to locate to you".
I believe they will do everything they can to increase that 20p/mile to very high number.
Why we as customer who been given a faulty car take the cost? Who is paying the cost to clean my driveway and the time that we spend to sort out the faulty car?
They have already sold the car that we traded in, and the dealer surely not going to share the profit with us.

Our request is very simple, we want a brand new MG4 without issue as per the contract and PDI that we signed.

I have had a hour long conversation with someone higher than the sales manager yesterday and eceived email from him today.
Same story, Waylands claimed the car has been fixed just the same as what they said to us back to 23rd Dec 2022 and 1st March 2023.
It's a joke, really shabby treatment

Do not take the faulty car back under any circumstances insist on a non faulty replacement

You should also be given a courtesy car while you wait

It’s also going to cost and be hassle to swap the insurance over when you get the new car

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 471 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.7%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back