MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Looks like things are moving in the right direction:

Screenshot_20230330-090934.png

Good work! That should hopefully press them into action…and hopefully not the sort of action that means running the cars with no oil in the gearbox :LOL:
When the DVSA contacted me for "evidence" I sent photos from my own car and a link to this forum thread so hopefully MG can't play it down

When the DVSA contacted me for "evidence" I sent photos from my own car and a link to this forum thread so hopefully MG can't play it down
Well they can’t really say they have no evidence in that case, as there are plenty of comments in this thread, and photos of the problem. Glad to see they’ve taken some action, it’s certainly a positive start

Yep, will be interesting to see how MG / SAIC respond. I really think that it's a tranny out job to fix this issue properly, so I can see them fighting this to the bitter end.
Unless customer's gearboxes start seizing in the outside lane of the motorway, it's too easy for them to brush it off as a minor issue I'm afraid.

Yep, will be interesting to see how MG / SAIC respond. I really think that it's a tranny out job to fix this issue properly, so I can see them fighting this to the bitter end.
Unless customer's gearboxes start seizing in the outside lane of the motorway, it's too easy for them to brush it off as a minor issue I'm afraid.
I'd hazard they'll borrow your current design and change the filler to a breather and vice versa, to remove it from the path of the crown gear

Fast approaching 7 months since the first report on here, incredible that it's still not fixed!

The cynic in me thinks that gearboxes are all running with low levels of oil in them.
It may be fixed on newer cars, mine shows no sign of leaking yet and some others have said the same.

I completely agree that a recall to retrofit a permanent fix for all cars at risk of a leak should happen asap.

It may be fixed on newer cars, mine shows no sign of leaking yet and some others have said the same.

I completely agree that a recall to retrofit a permanent fix for all cars at risk of a leak should happen asap.
I genuinely hope they have fixed it, it would however be really interesting to see how much oil is in the newer cars.

My car is in right now for the latest breather fix - whatever that may be. (Perhaps the new breather has a tube that projects into the void, maybe with a baffle/deflector, so as to minimise the chance of oil fling going into the breather pipe).

I also got that same email this morning. :)

If you ever had any doubts about how MG UK would treat you in the event that you had issues and needed support this thread should make it more than clear.
How customers can be treated in this way is horrendous.
All you get in the motoring press is praise for the MG4 (it’s a nice car). I would love to see a journalist take up the appalling customer service angle and expose this side of things - MG deserve to be exposed.

If you ever had any doubts about how MG UK would treat you in the event that you had issues and needed support this thread should make it more than clear.
How customers can be treated in this way is horrendous.
All you get in the motoring press is praise for the MG4 (it’s a nice car). I would love to see a journalist take up the appalling customer service angle and expose this side of things - MG deserve to be exposed.
You are so negative you don't even have an mg4😉

May as well have a 10 year warranty for all the good it gives!
Yes, I store my MG warranty in the same drawer as my title deeds to the Brooklyn bridge 🤠

Got my car back today ... items carried out today listed below.

View attachment 16425

I took a photo of the new breather - this is what it looks like (with the adapter removed and also partially inserted - looks like a push fit arrangement):

View attachment 16426View attachment 16427

Yah... been there done that MG. Just move it to the side and be done with it already.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back