MG4 Restricted speed - weird

@bowfer I admire your persistence. (y) But how much longer are you going to put up with a car that cannot maintain a core function such as the ability to go at the national speed limit? There appears to be no real support from MG to resolve this and they seem to just be stringing you along. It is not your job to fault find the issue nor to identify the cause or linkage with other factors. The garage needs to take the car back and resolve the issue whilst providing you with a suitable replacement in the interim.
The problem appears to be a very rare one (as opposed to the more common oil leak or undertray) and of greater immediate pain, so I suggest that your car is a one off lemon.
Personally if I were you I'd reject it. You have sufficient evidence to do so.

@bowfer I admire your persistence. (y) But how much longer are you going to put up with a car that cannot maintain a core function such as the ability to go at the national speed limit? There appears to be no real support from MG to resolve this and they seem to just be stringing you along. It is not your job to fault find the issue nor to identify the cause or linkage with other factors. The garage needs to take the car back and resolve the issue whilst providing you with a suitable replacement in the interim.
The problem appears to be a very rare one (as opposed to the more common oil leak or undertray) and of greater immediate pain, so I suggest that your car is a one off lemon.
Personally if I were you I'd reject it. You have sufficient evidence to do so.
Some of bowfer's problem is that for some reason he seems reluctant to take it back to the dealer but instead to try and cause more damage to whatever is causing his restricted speed.
If he does cause more damage by knowingly continuing to drive the car he might find any warranties/guarantees are invalid and be stuck with a costly repair bill.

Some of bowfer's problem is that for some reason he seems reluctant to take it back to the dealer but instead to try and cause more damage to whatever is causing his restricted speed.
If he does cause more damage by knowingly continuing to drive the car he might find any warranties/guarantees are invalid and be stuck with a costly repair bill.

I’m not reluctant at all.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, they cannot take it in until 5/1.
So I’m just gathering data/videos until then, in case they come back with ‘we couldn’t replicate the problem’

The fact that he has reported it and wasn't told to bring it in or do not drive it is on the dealer, it's a bit like the oil leak, told "safe to drive" that oil is in there for a reason the potential for damage to be caused by reduced to no oil being in there is on the dealer/MG

The fact that he has reported it and wasn't told to bring it in or do not drive it is on the dealer, it's a bit like the oil leak, told "safe to drive" that oil is in there for a reason the potential for damage to be caused by reduced to no oil being in there is on the dealer/MG

Yup, it’s all on email too.

I’m not reluctant at all.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, they cannot take it in until 5/1.
So I’m just gathering data/videos until then, in case they come back with ‘we couldn’t replicate the problem’
Fair enough. I missed that post. Good luck when you do finally get the dealer to look at it.

Yup, it’s all on email too.
I had a response back in regards to loss of power issue.there was a technical bulletin released to dealers 2 weeks ago for this issue.I was told a software update again.I don’t have access to this bulletin for what it consists of or what the issue is being caused by.has anybody else had any feedback from there dealer for loss power issue

I had a response back in regards to loss of power issue.there was a technical bulletin released to dealers 2 weeks ago for this issue.I was told a software update again.I don’t have access to this bulletin for what it consists of or what the issue is being caused by.has anybody else had any feedback from there dealer for loss power issue
It’s kind of crazy, that they couldn’t somehow work in OTA to resolve these things.

Even then a device being broken during an update is poor coding. Your pc, mobile, etc all have fail safe to rollback if it doesn’t work
I agree to a point though in many cases the rollback fails so I can understand in these early days the desire to have updates done at the dealership.
I actually prefer the backup this provides at this stage.

I agree to a point though in many cases the rollback fails so I can understand in these early days the desire to have updates done at the dealership.
I actually prefer the backup this provides at this stage.
If I was given the choice of regular OTA updates but you might just find your car bricked on the driveway and have to make other transport arrangements or take car to dealer every couple of weeks, take time off work to get there within their opening hours, get an MG3 to drive, question my life choices, more time off work to return the MG3, find out the update didn’t fix the problem, repeat, repeat, repeat then I would take OTA. I know it’s all hypothetical but my car has been back 5 times now and back again this week, I’m getting bored of this already 😩

I have flexibility to be able to visit my dealer, that's only 10 mins away so I'm lucky I guess.
I'm also waiting for a few key updates to be available before I bother to get them applied rather than going back for individual items.

The amount of times people's cars have been back in a short period of ownership is beyond inconvenient now, it's ridiculous.
Unless your lucky like Oberoi who is close by and has the option of walking home instead of getting lumbered with an MG3 (walk in the rain still preferable)
The time people are wasting must be adding up, added to time cars a left at dealers

I have flexibility to be able to visit my dealer, that's only 10 mins away so I'm lucky I guess.
I'm also waiting for a few key updates to be available before I bother to get them applied rather than going back for individual items.
I'm also lucky in that my dealer is only a 10min walk from my work .
I'm also going to wait until a load of updates are available rather than keep popping backwards and forwards every time new one is available.

I’m in turmoil as to what to do next TBH.
I’ve had a plethora of problems and really don’t know if this issue should be the one that rejects the car or not.
I can’t help fearing that if I give them a chance to fix it, and the issue comes back in a month/2 months/3 months, then any rejection is going to exponentially harder.
Should I just reject now…??

BTW have another video of the problem from last night.
Max 63mph, max 37% power, 33% battery.
Don’t forget on top of the speed restriction I’m getting abysmal range (more or less 1 mile per KW).

I’ve had a plethora of problems and really don’t know if this issue should be the one that rejects the car or not.
I can’t help fearing that if I give them a chance to fix it, and the issue comes back in a month/2 months/3 months, then any rejection is going to exponentially harder.

Don’t forget on top of the speed restriction I’m getting abysmal range (more or less 1 mile per KW).
I have definitely been close to rejecting mine but held off. I think if I were in your shoes, unless the problem could be fixed, definitely and permanently, within the next 7 days I'd have no choice. You've waited long enough. The car isn't safe like it is.

You have more issues than I'd put up with, I'd be interested to hear what the dealer says on the 5th, I'd let him talk then spring all your videos on him.
If it was me and I can't speak for your circumstances, it would be gone, your car is a shambles and it has nothing to do with how your driving it! Ridiculous that was even suggested.

My dealer has refused my rejection on all the issues I have had oil leak locked in loss power handbreak fault all have been software updates is this there get out.finance company are helping but awaiting there response back for rejection

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back