MG4 Restricted speed - weird

It’s not relevant and it’s not due to it.
The fact others are suffering the same thing under different driving scenarios proves it.
I am sorry if you think I was criticising your driving style - I am not, you are free to drive how you like. I was just pointing out it is unusual, which it is.

You have reported more serious problems than most and this MAY be a factor that explains why. It may not be relevant but I don’t see how you can rule it out without a fix and full explanation for the problems you’ve seen.

I am sorry if you think I was criticising your driving style - I am not, you are free to drive how you like. I was just pointing out it is unusual, which it is.

You have reported more serious problems than most and this MAY be a factor that explains why. It may not be relevant but I don’t see how you can rule it out without a fix and full explanation for the problems you’ve seen.

Give me an example of me “reporting more serious problems than most”?
The other problems I’ve had are endemic to the car:

TPMS - common as hell
Oil leak - say no more
Rumbling/vibration - common enough

And these problems were there from word go, so impossible to be attributed to driving style.

Give me an example of me “reporting more serious problems than most”?
The other problems I’ve had are endemic to the car:

TPMS - common as hell
Oil leak - say no more
Rumbling/vibration - common enough

And these problems were there from word go, so impossible to be attributed to driving style.
I am talking about the power loss only - your reported problems seem worse.

Anyway, it is clear that you are not hearing me and it is christmas, so I am going to bow out here and wish you a good one and hope your problems are resolved soon.

I am talking about the power loss only - your reported problems seem worse.

Anyway, it is clear that you are not hearing me and it is christmas, so I am going to bow out here and wish you a good one and hope your problems are resolved soon.

I am “hearing you”, I just don’t agree with you.
Different things.

Nobody should need full throttle for any normal journey in anything except an ultra-slow EV (which the MG is not)
Respectfully disagree with this statement, I am an advanced driver and I use full throttle from time to time in my MG4, no issue with it at all. I needed to reach speed to safely join a motorway yesterday and used full throttle perfectly safely and appropriately.

Respectfully disagree with this statement, I am an advanced driver and I use full throttle from time to time in my MG4, no issue with it at all. I needed to reach speed to safely join a motorway yesterday and used full throttle perfectly safely and appropriately.

Agreed - my company car is a fire engine and I use full throttle 90% of the time in that 😂 and down most slip roads in my MG4 to get up to speed properly, the amount of people who dawdle and fart about on a slip road is staggering!

Yeah, Ive been thrashing my SE SR since I rolled off the dealers forecourt, it's slightly less punchy at a low SOC but never goes into the type of limp mode bowfer describes.
I remember a particularly fun b road blast last week, about 20 miles in sport mode, many full throttle applications, handled it without complaint, just used a chunk of charge ;)

Try not full throttling until the bit where you get restricted.

Perhaps something is getting hot or a sensor is tripping too soon.

Or buy an audi S3 which would suit your style better

Try not full throttling until the bit where you get restricted.

Perhaps something is getting hot or a sensor is tripping too soon.

Or buy an audi S3 which would suit your style better

Or just get an EV that works properly?
Fingers half crossed they can’t fix it….
An S3…oh yeah, a real driver’s car that 😂

Last edited:
Longer run today, of course the car gave 100% power at all times, just when the roads are quiet and I was hoping I’d get a daylight video.
It was at 100% down to 70%
It’s drinking juice though, the wee screen won’t shift from 2KW, at all, and the GOM says I’m barely getting 1mile per KW (currently at 69% and 73 miles)

Last edited:
Sounds like a BMS issue to me. I don’t buy speculation of what the SR was or wasn’t meant to be compared to the LR. If it were it should be in the manual. I’ve had similar issues to bowfer but it looks like a couple balance charges and an increase in temp have solved it. Get your video and take it back to get a working car or replacemt. It doesn’t matter if it’s the cheap model or indeed a cheap EV it’s should work as advertised

Last edited:
Longer run today, of course the car gave 100% power at all times, just when the roads are quiet and I was hoping I’d get a daylight video.
It was at 100% down to 70%
It’s drinking juice though, the wee screen won’t shift from 2KW, at all, and the GOM says I’m barely getting 1mile per KW (currently at 69% and 73 miles)
I was getting exactly the same symptoms as this a ticket was opened with mg 2 weeks ago.I am in process rejection which dealer has refused.see what happens but all my symptoms were exactly as you have put plus poor kWh recover battery draining like mad

I was getting exactly the same symptoms as this a ticket was opened with mg 2 weeks ago.I am in process rejection which dealer has refused.see what happens but all my symptoms were exactly as you have put plus poor kWh recover battery draining like mad

How long have you had the car?
On what grounds are they refusing rejection, on the grounds that they want to try and fix it first?
TBH I’m 70/30 hoping they can’t fix it and I will have a really good case for rejection (a whole list of issues since I collected it)
I can’t afford to sell it, used values for 4’s are abysmal.
Being offered £3k less for a nearly new 4 than I was a year old Leaf (and a base model one too)
The evidence is the trade knows it’s a flawed car and don’t want one on their forecourt.

Being offered £3k less for a nearly new 4 than I was a year old Leaf (and a base model one too)
The evidence is the trade knows it’s a flawed car and don’t want one on their forecourt.

The Trade In Prices Online etc are low because there is NO DATA, and the algorithms always hate cars less than 6 months old, they figure anyone selling in the first 6 months has problems with the car or is desperate. Its the same with any new car put it in the WBAC or Motorway or any other online system and you will get at least 30%/40% off the OTR Price

We have watched all our previous cars on these sites, and after they are 6 months old the prices rise dramatically compared to the almost new prices.

Trying a EV Specific dealer may get a better deal but again they will be suspicious on why the car is being dumped so quickly.

How long have you had the car?
On what grounds are they refusing rejection, on the grounds that they want to try and fix it first?
TBH I’m 70/30 hoping they can’t fix it and I will have a really good case for rejection (a whole list of issues since I collected it)
I can’t afford to sell it, used values for 4’s are abysmal.
I had my car 2 months with a whole long list of issues oil leak locked in car loss speed infotainment unit flickering auto hold hand break fault etc. it’s still at garage been there 2 weeks now last time they had it also was 2 weeks so I’m total k have had it in use for just over a month.dealer have refused as they want to inspect it again.notified finance company they are working on the case for rejection I’m awaiting a feedback from them end of this week.

I had my car 2 months with a whole long list of issues oil leak locked in car loss speed infotainment unit flickering auto hold hand break fault etc. it’s still at garage been there 2 weeks now last time they had it also was 2 weeks so I’m total k have had it in use for just over a month.dealer have refused as they want to inspect it again.notified finance company they are working on the case for rejection I’m awaiting a feedback from them end of this week.
Totally takes the thrill out of having a new car, 2 months old and already 1 month and counting in the garage, I would say that's all the evidence you need right there for rejection, it's not fit for purpose.

Totally takes the thrill out of having a new car, 2 months old and already 1 month and counting in the garage, I would say that's all the evidence you need right there for rejection, it's not fit for purpose.
Yes my wife will no longer drive the car from being locked inside and loss power nearly resulting in rear ending.have to see what finance company says as not had much communication with them over Christmas period.all I got from dealership is a ticket had been raised in regarding restricted speed but it was a red severe action.just gonna leave it with them hopefully it will be rejected if not it will be at the next issue that arises I am sure there will be many more to come

I’m around 7 days in the dealer already, without it having been in for the restricted speed yet.
That’s roughly 20% of my ownership.
Also, with the dealer being 40 miles away, it’s around 240-300 miles of the 1100 it’s done in total just going back/Fore to the dealer and test drives by them etc

I’m around 7 days in the dealer already, without it having been in for the restricted speed yet.
That’s roughly 20% of my ownership.
Also, with the dealer being 40 miles away, it’s around 240-300 miles of the 1100 it’s done in total just going back/Fore to the dealer and test drives by them etc
I had driven 350 miles been to dealer 3 times they had to take it to another dealer adding 160 miles onto vehicle.probably drive the car for around 10 hours been in dealer a lot more than I have used it nearing 4 weeks now from 10weeks or so owning it’s not good when still paying for it monthly also costing me petrol costs in other vehicle

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back