MG4 Reviews from various online publications

I guess my 'problem' is that I haven't yet achieved a mindset that tells me 'thou shall not even consider that such evils as non bev vehicles exist' and I still look at a car as part of the actual existing marketplace and consider whether any proposition is actually worth the money being asked.

Against that backdrop it it doesn't matter to me whether an ID3 (which I have been in, my son's got one which luckily his employers paid for) or any other similar car has a particular feature, I judge any offering against the values which are in my own mind, just as others will make their own decisions based on their own individual thoughts.

Some of the logic applied to my decision making preferences, and that of others, don't always bear close examination but so what?

In my case I've been driving for 7 years, since new, a quite well specced Mitsubishi Outlander phev which has been faultless but (albeit after the £5,000 Govm't grant) cost about the same as an MG4 Trophy now and whilst mine hasn't got all of the traffic counter measure features it does have a sun roof, huge amount of space in the back and boot, roof bar capability, tow bar, front and rear sensors, reversing and 360 degree camera, selectable awd and so on, and I've loved every minute of driving it, including playing with the regen paddles to try to do better than the car's firmware would achieve if I didn't keep interfering with it.

90 -95% of my trips (but not my mileage) have been pure electric and over the measly 22,000 miles I've done the average fuel consumption has been 103 mpg.

I hate it when the petrol engine starts but with 25 miles ev range it's better than coasting to a stop. I love the ev experience but value and practicality issues fortunately ensure I'm not an evangelist.

All of this waffle is not to start an argument but just to attempt to explain the base from which I'm assessing current offerings - and finding it very difficult to see real value in most.

I would be a spoilsport, however, if I didn't mention a forthcoming car which has defaulted on to my rather large and varied shortlist, namely the forthcoming hybrid version of the Dacia Jogger, with bigger powerplant and Renault hybrid tech.

Many video reviews of the ic only current version available

I've got my popcorn ready🙂

I guess my 'problem' is that I haven't yet achieved a mindset that tells me 'thou shall not even consider that such evils as non bev vehicles exist' and I still look at a car as part of the actual existing marketplace and consider whether any proposition is actually worth the money being asked.

Against that backdrop it it doesn't matter to me whether an ID3 (which I have been in, my son's got one which luckily his employers paid for) or any other similar car has a particular feature, I judge any offering against the values which are in my own mind, just as others will make their own decisions based on their own individual thoughts.

Some of the logic applied to my decision making preferences, and that of others, don't always bear close examination but so what?

In my case I've been driving for 7 years, since new, a quite well specced Mitsubishi Outlander phev which has been faultless but (albeit after the £5,000 Govm't grant) cost about the same as an MG4 Trophy now and whilst mine hasn't got all of the traffic counter measure features it does have a sun roof, huge amount of space in the back and boot, roof bar capability, tow bar, front and rear sensors, reversing and 360 degree camera, selectable awd and so on, and I've loved every minute of driving it, including playing with the regen paddles to try to do better than the car's firmware would achieve if I didn't keep interfering with it.

90 -95% of my trips (but not my mileage) have been pure electric and over the measly 22,000 miles I've done the average fuel consumption has been 103 mpg.

I hate it when the petrol engine starts but with 25 miles ev range it's better than coasting to a stop. I love the ev experience but value and practicality issues fortunately ensure I'm not an evangelist.

All of this waffle is not to start an argument but just to attempt to explain the base from which I'm assessing current offerings - and finding it very difficult to see real value in most.

I would be a spoilsport, however, if I didn't mention a forthcoming car which has defaulted on to my rather large and varied shortlist, namely the forthcoming hybrid version of the Dacia Jogger, with bigger powerplant and Renault hybrid tech.

I wish I was half as pragmatic as you are, it may have been the solution for all the purchases I have made with my heart in the past.

If you're doing 3,000 miles a year, I'm not sure why you're even bothering to change the car other than wanting something new/different (which definitely affects everyone - I'm usually bored within about 6 months).

If your mileage will stay that low, particular on short trips, another PHEV would surely be a better bet. I also wouldn't bother buying new - something a year old would still be well with warranty, you'd average the mileage out if it was a bit high after the first year and you would have a lot of choice for the same £31k budget. Full EVs are still at a premium and will be for a few more years, but with your mileage, you'll never make that back and would be reliant on a higher resale value.

Our mileage is fairly low (c8k with only one car) so the only reason I am considering electric is the BIK by purchasing through my company compared to personal ownership. If I was paying with my own money, it'd be a 2-3 year old car, possibly some form of hybrid, but even then the cost difference would be need to be low compared to basic petrol due to the mileage we do

😂 - Spot on D1no, it's the difference between needing and wanting and me wanting more toys to play with.

It gets worse - if we bought a 4 we'd trade in my wife's Skoda Citigo which is 9 years old with 12,500 miles on the clock currently still valued at more than half the £10,000 we paid for it (including some extras).

Lovely newish set of Michelin cross climates on it too and lovely to drive, when I remember to use my left foot occasionally.

As wife admits to not knowing how to use some of the electronics under the tv one wonders how successful her endeavours might be trying to find settings buried in a screen in the middle of the car's facia.

😂 - Spot on D1no, it's the difference between needing and wanting and me wanting more toys to play with.

It gets worse - if we bought a 4 we'd trade in my wife's Skoda Citigo which is 9 years old with 12,500 miles on the clock currently still valued at more than half the £10,000 we paid for it (including some extras).

Lovely newish set of Michelin cross climates on it too and lovely to drive, when I remember to use my left foot occasionally.

As wife admits to not knowing how to use some of the electronics under the tv one wonders how successful her endeavours might be trying to find settings buried in a screen in the middle of the car's facia.
You set it up, she drives it, no need to mess about, just make sure it is on the radio you like :p

How often do you do trips over 200 miles? Clearly not that often otherwise you'd have done more than 3,000 miles/year. Why doesn't a BEV work for you? PHEV will get less and less relevant whilst remaining expensive to maintain.

He says that MG have "never gone into the UK" at 0:48 and later insinuates that British make poor quality cars.
The first bit is wrong but the second part is pretty correct - I still have nightmares about my Dad's Austin Montego!!

How often do you do trips over 200 miles? Clearly not that often otherwise you'd have done more than 3,000 miles/year. Why doesn't a BEV work for you? PHEV will get less and less relevant whilst remaining expensive to maintain.
Who said a BEV doesn't work for me? If the spec and cost suit my aspirations it will.

I have no intention of buying another PHEV although I'm not convinced that it will get less and less relevant - relevant to what btw?

My current one is not expensive to maintain and enjoys £0.00 road fund licence, as does my wife's Citigo which costs peanuts to maintain.

The PHEV works so well for me that if we buy a BEV we'll lose the Citigo and keep the Outlander.

How often I do trips over 200 miles (100 miles each way wouldn't even get me to the coast and back) is neither here nor there if my thoughts are that if I buy a BEV I want to be able to do trips over 200 miles (preferably 300 actually) without having to plug in, should I decide to do that.

As I've said elsewhere, I love the ev driving experience but I'm not evangelistic about it and there is a limit to how much money I think it's worth.

We don't actually need to buy anything at all at the present but waited years, like many others, waiting for the ID Buzz, which if it had been launched with a range and spec close to all of the promos over the years I would probably have blown the kids's inheritance on one. There have been others too.

Even the MG4 has been touted with specs exceeding what is now actually on offer (I don't have to explain to anyone why the panoramic glass roof held so much appeal) but suddenly it no longer exists. Don't bother telling me it might appear on the awd mental performance model, I'm not interested.

Let me assure you that I won't have any problem making a decision if and when the right car (according to my personal considerations) appears.
There is little point in folks with different personal thoughts and considerations trying to analyse those of others.

I only expressed some of mine a while back to try to explain the rationale behind my own comments.

I'm not sure what the point of your observations was, I've allowed total boredom whilst sitting in front of recording of Ridley to let me ramble on again.

Mine bought a purple Allegro.
I'm much more sensible, and will be taking delivery in a week or two of bright Orange car 😂
I hope it's just a coincidence that the steering wheel was a similar shape to that of the MG4 'cos after about the 3 years my old man was paddling his along the road through the rusted floor like Fred Flintstone.

😰

I'd agree, the seat squab is quite low which gives good headroom (and a flatter load area when folded) but at the expense of a high knees seating position with no support for the thighs. But there's good legroom behind a tall driver (better than my MG5 which also has a similar lack of rear thigh support), so it would be a very pleasant place for shorter people if it weren't so dark.

At 192cm he looks very comfortable in the back. On a lot of cars he wouldn't even get his legs in, certainly the knees would be pressed against the seat in front on something like a model 3.
I agree. If the front seat is all the way back and all the way down, as I would expect it to be for somebody that tall, it is an incredible amount of space.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 485 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back