MG4 Reviews from various online publications

The "energy management" seems to be missing on the trophy unless of course it is on the main home screen.

Found another difference in the software between the SE and Trophy.

This is the secondary menu screen (after you swipe left from the main menu screen):

On Trophy
View attachment 10699

On SE
View attachment 10700
Presume there will be some differences e.g.heated seats, but differences there are probably due to different versions of the software

differences there are probably due to different versions of the software
Why do you believe that? Surely MG wouldn't provide one or more cars at the launch without the latest software? I wouldn't put it past MG to have different software for ambitions for the different models.

Last edited:
There is a difference in what options you can choose for the left custom button on the steering wheel in the SE and Trophy.

Screenshot of Trophy from Which EV:
View attachment 10655

Screenshot of SE from The Late Brake Show:

View attachment 10656

The options for the right custom button are the same.
I am almost certain that Johnny had an old version of the software. Left side of also completely different.

I'd also suggest that hiding it in a sub-menu is dangerous.
Indeed, but without seeing what's behind that menu option it's hard to know what it does!

The SOS system is designed to be used automatically in any case - hopefully none of us will ever need to use it!

Why do you believe that? Surely MG wouldn't provide one or more cars at the launch without the latest software? I wouldn't put it past MG to have different software for ambitions for the different models.
The electroheads review mentioned that MG had said the review versions weren't production ready when talking about the touchscreen. They may be different versions of pre-production software that will be slightly different to what appears on customer cars that were shipped later

The Trophy is £3k more than the SE LR, but I think the extra options fitted to the car is worth it, although obviously it’s not a deal breaker if it doesn’t have it.

Extras for the Trophy:

Partial leather seats
Elect driver seat
One touch up/down window allround
Door open warning
Heated seats and steering wheel
Map pockets on front seats back
6 speaker HD sound(I really do wished they have 11 speakers set up like my current Model 3, sounds amazing!)
Rear cross traffic alert
Lane change assist(what does it do? Do you indicate and it changes lane for you?)
360 camera
Dimming rear view mirror
Blind spot monitor
Auto fold door mirrors( a quick glance at a distance confirm the car is locked)
Wireless charging
Sat Nav( although I’d use Waze myself)

I think £3k seems quite reasonable price to ask for, and it’s still cheaper than the base Cupra Born/ID3!

The Trophy is £3k more than the SE LR, but I think the extra options fitted to the car is worth it, although obviously it’s not a deal breaker if it doesn’t have it.

Extras for the Trophy:

Partial leather seats
Elect driver seat
One touch up/down window allround
Door open warning
Heated seats and steering wheel
Map pockets on front seats back
6 speaker HD sound(I really do wished they have 11 speakers set up like my current Model 3, sounds amazing!)
Rear cross traffic alert
Lane change assist(what does it do? Do you indicate and it changes lane for you?)
360 camera
Dimming rear view mirror
Blind spot monitor
Auto fold door mirrors( a quick glance at a distance confirm the car is locked)
Wireless charging
Sat Nav( although I’d use Waze myself)

I think £3k seems quite reasonable price to ask for, and it’s still cheaper than the base Cupra Born/ID3!
Additionally the Trophy has:
Bluetooth key
Live Services
Two tone roof
Better headlights (apparently matrix headlights according to Chinese reviews)
Better looking front indicators (subjective ofcourse)
Rear LED light bar
More options for the star button on left side of steering wheel
More options in the software eg options for unlock using keys and others in sub menu.
Adjustable boot floor height for easy loading

Additionally the Trophy has:
Bluetooth key
Live Services
Two tone roof
Better headlights (apparently matrix headlights according to Chinese reviews)
Better looking front indicators (subjective ofcourse)
Rear LED light bar
More options for the star button on left side of steering wheel
More options in the software eg options for unlock using keys and others in sub menu.
Adjustable boot floor height for easy loading
I knew I’ve left something out!
Johnny did say something about adaptive headlights being standard across the range?
I look forward to try the lights out at night.
Yes external differences as well compared to the SE models

The electroheads review mentioned that MG had said the review versions weren't production ready when talking about the touchscreen.

I missed that. But in itself that's a red flag - if they can't manage to have the correct version in four launch cars I'm very worried about how rigourously tested and consistently applied it'll be for the first customer cars. It sounds similar to the normal "they hadn't finished tuning the suspension for UK roads" excuse that reviewers use to mean it rides and handles poorly. Similar "features" were present on ID.3 cars at launch and history records how long it is still taking VW to resolve all of them. I just hope that I am wrong.

Another positive review, this time from Electroheads (there a couple of errors in it...)

I don't think I've seen a review of theirs where they don't fluff something (and sometimes you need a translator), but she did raise a good point about the seat bolsters. This isn't the first time we've seen them look a bit tired on the MG4, so I have to wonder how well they'd actually hold up over time.

What does that button actually do?
Apparently, it automatically phones 999 & gives your location

Apparently, it automatically phones 999 & gives your location
It also rings the emergency services if the airbags in the car go off, the emergency services have the ability to talk to the occupants of the car to see if they are okay.

The system is 2G based and uses a number of frequencies that were used to support the former Nation Radio Network that was used on the rail network!

I heard that if you dial 999 on your mobile phone, it will automatically pick the strongest signal regardless of mobile network.

The 12V battery seems to be in a difficult to reach recess, behind the transverse support bar.

MG4-Review-Launch-Event-WhichEV-IMG_1140.jpg

MG4-Review-Launch-Event-WhichEV-IMG_1139.jpg

Hmmm, and the connections appear to be towards the back as well, the whole under bonnet area looks very compacted to me, but with what with I am not sure seeing as how the motor and inverter are in the rear, we will find out when we get to see one for real I suppose, it looks like there might be a storage place for a type 2 cable on top of that black cover that slopes backwards right in the middle.wont be long now until somebody gets there hands on one, I’m convinced from some of the video reviews that’s been posted here, there’s at least a couple of dozen members on these forums that could have done a better job, because we know what it’s like to own and drive on MG Ev and some of there issues.
Like for example when there’s a problem and the breakdown services attended, the first they appear to go for is the 12 volt disconnect, might find this one a little bit more awkward with that battery positioning.
Les

Looks to me like the battery is on its side with a simple to remove cover over its terminals. That is both good in that it is probably a decent quality battery and, given the short bonnet, reasonably accessible.

Edit - wrong!

Attachments

• IMG_20220905_053725.jpg
    IMG_20220905_053725.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Looks to me like the battery is on its side with a simple to remove cover over its terminals. That is both good in that it is probably a decent quality battery and, given the short bonnet, reasonably accessible.

View attachment 10728

To me it looks like the battery is on the left side (of the car). I can just make out the "+" in the photo.

Screenshot_20220905-054351_ES File Explorer Pro.jpg

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel