MG4 Reviews from various online publications

These two have really grown on me. When I first saw one of their Reviews, I thought they were proper spanner’s. How wrong was I !!! Great pair and the road trips are great fun and informative.
I have to admit the same to a degree, but I've come to really enjoy Ben :D. He especially cracks me up with his 'spirited' driving whilst talking about economy. Now he's in my must watch list when it comes to reviews, and it's nice to see regular people giving their opinion.

I have to admit the same to a degree, but I've come to really enjoy Ben :D. He especially cracks me up with his 'spirited' driving whilst talking about economy. Now he's in my must watch list when it comes to reviews, and it's nice to see regular people giving their opinion.
I think what you miss on an initial watch, is that’s he so ‘Matter of Fact’…..no doubt about it though, they are very honest (with a slight love of the MG Brand, it must be said).

I have driven both types (front and rear wheel drive), and I find that I am much more in control of the steering in the rear wheel drive, than in the front wheel drive.
I haven’t driven a RWD EV. However, I have driven a RWD ICE in the snow and it was terrible until I put a bag of soil in the back.

I also recall in the 80’s watching an Opel Manta (RWD) struggle to make it down our road in the snow, whilst a FWD Vauxhall Cavalier make it no problem. But as I said, FWD EV’s won’t have an engine over the front wheels.

I can appreciate that skilled people can put opposite lock on a RWD, but unfortunately most drivers don’t have that skill.

In any event. I’m still waiting for the 4wd version - although I'm sure in normal weather the RWD handling will but a smile on peoples faces.

Last edited:
I haven’t driven a RWD EV. However, I have driven a RWD ICE in the snow and it was terrible until I put a bag of soil in the back.

I also recall in the 80’s watching an Opel Manta (RWD) struggle to make it down our road in the snow, whilst a FWD Vauxhall Cavalier make it no problem. But as I said, FWD EV’s won’t have an engine over the front wheels.

I can appreciate that skilled people can put opposite lock on a RWD, but unfortunately most drivers don’t have that skill.

In any event. I’m still waiting for the 4wd version.
Apparently an electric RWD would have a better traction than an ICE due to the way it delivers its power to the wheels and the MG4 also has a snow mode, so I’m assuming you should be ok unless you’re driving uphill in deep snow? An alternative is to fit snow tyres , it probably offers better traction than AWD with summer tyres, I had a set fitted to my C Class all those years ago, it was unbelievable!
But I totally get why you would want a 4WD, it would be my choice too.

About the lack of the rear wiper..🤣
Joking aside, it’s really annoying without the wiper, I usually apply plenty of RainX on the rear screen, it does help a bit and I also keep a squeegee in the boot and give it a good wipe when it’s covered with rain and dirt.

(goes live at 13:30 today)

This is the menu screen seen when you swipe left from the home screen:
Screenshot_20220828-045516_YouTube.jpg

Questions:
1. Does the "User" button allow multiple drivers to have their own settings?
2. What does the "Video" button do? Can you watch movies from an USB stick?
3. Is there a dedicated MG rescue helpline as there is a "Rescue Call" button?
4. What is "MG Touchpoint"?

View attachment 10553
Questions:
The video button may simply turn on the camera for rearward vision when driving, similar to EV6/Ioniq5.

View attachment 10553
Questions:
2) Assume it just lets you see the 360 view when parking and not just when reversing
3) that'll be the emergency call system that all new cars have to have. Most have had it as a separate button somewhere but considering the lack of buttons, makes sense to put it on the screen

I’ve been told that I am MG4 trophy should be here within two weeks I should be the first private hire to have one that’s good news but the sad news is that I can’t get the orange I would I have to wait so instead I’m going to get the ceramic red which I do like

In any event. I’m still waiting for the 4wd version - although I'm sure in normal weather the RWD handling will but a smile on peoples faces.
I’m guessing the ‘snow’ drive setting will feature some kind of traction control, that will send power to the wheel with the best grip. Just a guess though. I’m trading in a Peugeot 3008 hybrid4, which has electric on the rear and diesel (yes, you read that right), on the front, so can go into full 4WD mode. Is a great car, but 10 years old now and fossil fuels have become too expensive, hence ordering the MG4. I’m also a HUGE fan of the modern driver assistance tech, which it missed out of. I would love to wait for the 4WD version of the MG4, but I think it will cost too much for me. I read somewhere they are estimating £45k.

Is there any videos of the car being driven not parked 🙏😉🙂
Quite a few. Have a look in the review thread for links to them

Edit which I've now realised is this thread, but have a look. Irish one and Brown Car Guy both had extensive driving bits

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel