MG4 Roof rack

MG4 is good for 60kg roof load.
I ordered mine with both roof rack and tow bar but I havent desided what type of ski-box I am going to put on top.. cannot find one in orange color :D
Can you tell us how the roof rack works out when you get your car? There could be a design issue with the Trophy model due to the spoilers. When you open the boot, the spoilers go straight up, and would hit a roof rack positioned in the usual place. Tricky . . .

Can you tell us how the roof rack works out when you get your car? There could be a design issue with the Trophy model due to the spoilers. When you open the boot, the spoilers go straight up, and would hit a roof rack positioned in the usual place. Tricky . . .
I will :) but havent heard anything from the seller since I ordered the car in september.. hope its on the way soon..

This is the main reason we went with the MG5 instead of the MG4, we just needed that extra flexibility with roof bars. Pity really, I would have purchased an MG4 on the spot had it come with roof bars.

Anyone having some more information on roof bars on the Mg4?

As the roof is able to carry some load, I do expect after market solutions to be available?

It may be able to carry some load, but it's not specified to carry any load (as yet)? So fitting a roof rack would be a breach of the Customs & Use regulations, and possibly void your insurance? (In the UK anyway).

Attachments

• Bekreftelse 60kg taklast MG4.pdf
    322.9 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Did this ever get resolved - at the end of the day the MG4 is approved to be rolled over (at active load, rather than passive) - so it will take the cars weight on its roof ~ 1600kg - so surely there must be an MG/aftermarket solution to take 60kg or so on roof bars in the UK?

also see something similar on the MG5 : 7 months after going on sale, MG can finally say whether owners of its electric estate car can use the roof rails - Which? News
I don't think it has changed. It isn't whether or not the car can do it - we know it can from other markets - it is the UK homologation. It is up to MG to do the necessary paperwork (same thing happened with the MG5) and they may or may not do it. Until then it is an insurance problem if not an actual risk.

I have seen those inflatable roof rack bars and a soft roof box that can be folded up when not in use.

I’m thinking of getting one and will take some pics

Last edited:
The Spanish MG press officer in a YouTube video with "Roll in electric" has confirmed they are going to supply a compliant roof rack and roof box and tow attachment for the MG4 - I had assumed it wasn't possible but the video 'charla con #mg' can attest to this.

Here in Australia, RoofRacksGalore say their Cruz roof rack bars and Optiplus fitting clamp system are listed and tested for the MG4, but car owners should check with their dealer. Maybe there are other acceptable systems in the market as well?

It's mentioned in the specifications and reviews that the MG4 does not support a roof rack, but I don't fully understand why this is the case. Clearly from the photos, there aren't roof rails for this, but there are other systems for attaching a roof rack that don't require rails. I can't see the added weight being an issue, as the weight of the roof rack is distributed over the side pillars of the car which should be able to take that load (if not, then is the car crushed into a pancake if turned over under its own weight during an accident, as an example???).

Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.
There are roof bars available but the car is as far as I know not certified to carry abouve certain load on the roof.
Basically if you were to fit roof bars and that load contributed to an accident you are in a world of pain unless your insurance had ok'd it

Last edited by a moderator:
Copied my post from this thread:

Thule have two roofbar mounting kits for the MG4, and at least 2 bar systems that fit (Wingbar Evo and Wingbar Edge) as far as I can find on Thule homepage here in Norway.

It seem this is the same kit for the rest of the world where Thule is sold to.

• Thule Wingbar Evo 127 cm roofbar 2-pack black | 711320
  • Thule Clamp Evo foot to vehicle 4-pack black | 710500
  • Kit 145342

• Thule Wingbar Evo 127 cm roofbar 2-pack aluminium | 711300
  • Thule Clamp Evo foot to vehicle 4-pack black | 710500
  • Kit 145342

• Thule WingBar Edge 104 cm roofbar 1-pack black | 721520
  • Thule WingBar Edge 95 cm roofbar 1-pack black | 721420
  • Thule Clamp Edge foot to vehicle 4-pack black | 720500
  • Kit 145342

• Thule WingBar Edge 104 cm roofbar 1-pack black aluminium | 721500
  • Thule WingBar Edge 95 cm roofbar 1-pack aluminium | 721400