MG4 Rumbling and vibration

Just been out in mine again and same rumble/vibration above 50mph.
Now the main screen has gone loopy. Bouncing between main screen and settings screen when swiped left. Wont stay stable still even after several resets. No radio again as last time but this time after reset it just bounces between screens.
Awaiting call back from Dealer sent email with all my faults listed

My car now has the following faults:

• Oil Leak from transmission gearbox – new breather assembly required
  • Bulge in undertray to rectify
  • Drowsiness Alert system in fault mode.
  • Vibration/Rumble from car above speeds of 50 MPH (Felt through whole car and steering wheel.
  • Rattle in way of glove box area and footwell.
  • Infotainment screen not stable and unuseable
  • Climate control has to be up to 26 to get any warmth into car. If set to normal temps 22 Deg C. it’s COLD.

OK Update on this Rumble/Vibration. As above my car infotainment system went crazy and would not respond to touch even after several hard resets. Dealer been great and car booked in tomorrow for them to sort and courtesy car arranged.
Well just taken wife to work as the car actually drives fine, just no way to adjust drive modes, radio etc.
So we had to go through a flooded road due to heavy rain. I was a bit concerned initially but with traffic behind me I had to go through it (Around 30cm deep?)
Car passed through no problem at very low speed and within seconds my infotainment screen came to life and screen back to normal. Radio kicked in and everything back to normal????
What the hell is going on. !!!
My car also has bulge in undertray and my thoughts before ploughing through the flood was its going to scoop a lot of water!! Checked undertray and looks same as before so no further damage I can see.
However when I was able to speed up again I noticed my vibration/rumble was a lot less than prior to going through flood? Even at speeds in iexcess of 70MPH its was hardly noticable, still very slight but no way as bad.
Again what the hell is going on under there!!
I will pass this all on to the dealer, see if they can work out how.
Problem is at the moment car has no problems with display and vibration a lot less obtrusive.
All other faults still need sorting like oil leak, undertray, AC, Drowsiness.
Funny car this one!!

OK Update on this Rumble/Vibration. As above my car infotainment system went crazy and would not respond to touch even after several hard resets. Dealer been great and car booked in tomorrow for them to sort and courtesy car arranged.
Well just taken wife to work as the car actually drives fine, just no way to adjust drive modes, radio etc.
So we had to go through a flooded road due to heavy rain. I was a bit concerned initially but with traffic behind me I had to go through it (Around 30cm deep?)
Car passed through no problem at very low speed and within seconds my infotainment screen came to life and screen back to normal. Radio kicked in and everything back to normal????
What the hell is going on. !!!
My car also has bulge in undertray and my thoughts before ploughing through the flood was its going to scoop a lot of water!! Checked undertray and looks same as before so no further damage I can see.
However when I was able to speed up again I noticed my vibration/rumble was a lot less than prior to going through flood? Even at speeds in iexcess of 70MPH its was hardly noticable, still very slight but no way as bad.
Again what the hell is going on under there!!
I will pass this all on to the dealer, see if they can work out how.
Problem is at the moment car has no problems with display and vibration a lot less obtrusive.
All other faults still need sorting like oil leak, undertray, AC, Drowsiness.
Funny car this one!!
It's a bit like tooth ache. It disappears when you make a dentist appointment.

Update, I’ve calmed down a bit since this morning when rejection was on my mind and had a chat with the very nice manager of the dealership.
We’ve agreed that they’re going to take the car back next week, keep it a few days and he’ll drive around in it himself with a view to identifying the vibration (and sorting the leak at the same time)
I’m happy to give them this opportunity, without affecting my statutory rights blablabla

Update, I’ve calmed down a bit since this morning when rejection was on my mind and had a chat with the very nice manager of the dealership.
We’ve agreed that they’re going to take the car back next week, keep it a few days and he’ll drive around in it himself with a view to identifying the vibration (and sorting the leak at the same time)
I’m happy to give them this opportunity, without affecting my statutory rights blablabla
I am in same corner, car going in tomorrow for a few days to give them chance to sort everything.
Hopefully they can confince me its just teething problems and some bad assembly that can be sorted by tech's.

Car at dealers now, spoke to tech guy and still nothing from MG for Undertray fix and Driver awarness fault.
Regarding rumble/vibration they will check tyre balance and he mentioned checking wheel bearings for play. (I think someone else on here said their dealer mentioned wheel bearing?)

They said they would try driving with bulge undertray removed in case that was setting up a vibration.

My new breather is in and that will be getting done.

They also reckon display problem probably a bad earth connection somewhere so checking all connections. (todays fault is that Autohold wont turn ON, the screen showing it is in light grey as not recognised and toggle wont switch)
So plenty for them to sort.

Car at dealers now, spoke to tech guy and still nothing from MG for Undertray fix and Driver awarness fault.
Regarding rumble/vibration they will check tyre balance and he mentioned checking wheel bearings for play. (I think someone else on here said their dealer mentioned wheel bearing?)

They said they would try driving with bulge undertray removed in case that was setting up a vibration.

My new breather is in and that will be getting done.

They also reckon display problem probably a bad earth connection somewhere so checking all connections. (todays fault is that Autohold wont turn ON, the screen showing it is in light grey as not recognised and toggle wont switch)
So plenty for them to sort.

I applaud your dealer for being thorough, their efforts may well help others up and down the country

I applaud your dealer for being thorough, their efforts may well help others up and down the country
Just had curtesy call from Dealer. They keeping car in over weekend for more investigating into rumble/vibration. Lead tech guy said he can also hear/feel the problem and they want to keep car to find the issue.
Happy they called me and also not just passing back to me saying its fine.

Hopefully they can isolate it so others will benefit if they find the culprit!!
Said they would update me on Monday.

Just had curtesy call from Dealer. They keeping car in over weekend for more investigating into rumble/vibration. Lead tech guy said he can also hear/feel the problem and they want to keep car to find the issue.

Tell them there are other owners hanging on their every word and we will owe them BIG time!

Thank you for sharing this, will help others and much appreciated.

The more I drive the car the more I think there’s a tracking issue.
The car feels very nervous and on the edge of grip all the time, and there’s no feel at all.
Like it’s tippy toeing around without the full tyre planted.
Either that or the continentals are just rubbish….

The more I drive the car the more I think there’s a tracking issue.
The car feels very nervous and on the edge of grip all the time, and there’s no feel at all.
Like it’s tippy toeing around without the full tyre planted.
Either that or the continentals are just rubbish….
I was thinking the same, I hear some have changed to all weather/winter tyres and say they feel the difference in traction is so much better. Maybe these tyres are just badly made in China copies?
Hopefully get some news at end of day from garage as they spending all day trying to locate the rumble/vibration issue.

I was thinking the same, I hear some have changed to all weather/winter tyres and say they feel the difference in traction is so much better. Maybe these tyres are just badly made in China copies?
Hopefully get some news at end of day from garage as they spending all day trying to locate the rumble/vibration issue.
They are not the same as european tyres, they are a Chinese equivalent which will be a cheaper design to make, so they won’t be as good.

The question is when is the right time to replace a new car’s tyres and which ones to go for? I haven’t seen anyone post on this forum that they have done it yet, be good to have some recommendations.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back