MG4 Rumbling and vibration

Well, car collected and the rumbling/vibration…………..seems almost completely gone….
Being picky, as I am, I’m still getting a touch at around 77mph but it’s a huge improvement.
I couldn’t get details of how much the wheels balances were out as the service people aren’t in, just sales guys.

HOWEVER, now I have s new problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In start up the car is displaying tyre pressures fine, after a few minutes it’s losing them all and a TPMS system fault warning.
I’m getting really hacked off now, I can’t keep driving 40mins back to the dealer all the time.
(Away to search the forum for this problem or start a new thread)
This forum is a godsend for troubleshooting and advice. Hopefully you just need to pump up the tyres a bit.

This forum is a godsend for troubleshooting and advice. Hopefully you just need to pump up the tyres a bit.

Seems to be the opposite, the readings Im getting on the app and in the car are 2.8 bar on three tyres and 2.7 on one.
The tyres are all equal at 2.5 bar.
The TPMS system just doesn’t seem to be updating (tried the infotainment reset)
I’m getting all season fitted next Sat so I think I’ll notify the dealer of the issue prior to that (I have screenshots of the app warning messages from today) and then see if it miraculously cures itself after the all season are fitted.

Seems to be the opposite, the readings Im getting on the app and in the car are 2.8 bar on three tyres and 2.7 on one.
The tyres are all equal at 2.5 bar.
The TPMS system just doesn’t seem to be updating (tried the infotainment reset)
I’m getting all season fitted next Sat so I think I’ll notify the dealer of the issue prior to that (I have screenshots of the app warning messages from today) and then see if it miraculously cures itself after the all season are fitted.
Not sure if this helps but I adjusted my pressures up from 35 psi to 37 psi today, initially the system showed 2.5/2.4 bar on screen but as I drove for a bit they adjusted and now all show 2.7

I had always intended to get an Mg5 when they released the facelift, but have been distracted/tempted by the Mg4. Having read this thread, I now sincerely doubt that I will be buying one. I was willing to overlook the poor boot space, & even the lack of rear wiper. I really want a rear camera, but limits me to the trophy, & I detest that awful spoiler! Now all these other issues have put me off methinks.
I‘ve been wondering about that spoiler; it has a dramatic detrimental effect on the range, and the effect of a spoiler doesn’t come in at normal road speeds, so is it really just for show? If so, it is unlikely to have been properly developed in a wind tunnel. A spoiler’s purpose is to disrupt the airflow over the car, thus reducing the wing effect which would lift the car at speed, but this disruption equates to considerable turbulence, and affects the flow of air over the entire body of the car. This causes weird noises to occur all over the car which will increase with wind speed. I’m just wondering if this may be contributing to the mystery rumble? I saw on one review (Carwow?) the tester mocking the spoiler which appeared to be flimsy & poorly attached.….
Just a thought.

I had always intended to get an Mg5 when they released the facelift, but have been distracted/tempted by the Mg4. Having read this thread, I now sincerely doubt that I will be buying one. I was willing to overlook the poor boot space, & even the lack of rear wiper. I really want a rear camera, but limits me to the trophy, & I detest that awful spoiler! Now all these other issues have put me off methinks.
I‘ve been wondering about that spoiler; it has a dramatic detrimental effect on the range, and the effect of a spoiler doesn’t come in at normal road speeds, so is it really just for show? If so, it is unlikely to have been properly developed in a wind tunnel. A spoiler’s purpose is to disrupt the airflow over the car, thus reducing the wing effect which would lift the car at speed, but this disruption equates to considerable turbulence, and affects the flow of air over the entire body of the car. This causes weird noises to occur all over the car which will increase with wind speed. I’m just wondering if this may be contributing to the mystery rumble? I saw on one review (Carwow?) the tester mocking the spoiler which appeared to be flimsy & poorly attached.….
Just a thought.
Not the spoiler, SE cars are experiencing it as well. Looking to be bad tyre quailty and balancing.

Just a thought.
Go drive one. I was due to replace my current 5 with the facelift version and could have had it by the end of this month. However, I couldn’t get past how much more expensive it was than my current 5 for no fundamental changes to the car.

So we started to look at the MG4. Yes the boots a bit smaller than we’d like but we can probably manage. The extra range is a huge positive and it drives so much better than the MG5. I love my 5 but it always felt a little bit like you were sat on it rather than in it and it wallows a little too much around corners. The MG4 is a huge step forward to me in terms of how it feels when driving. Deposit transferred over from the MG5 and hopefully the 4 will arrive in the next 16 weeks.

So has the rumble/ vibration gone?

TPMS sensors often don't update until after you've been driving for around 5mins or so

Yes the rumble/vibration has 99% gone.
Still a wee vibration at 77mph, so the balancing isn’t spot on but it’s almost there.

I’m aware TPMS sensors need time to update, this isn’t a normal scenario I’ve got though.
I’m getting (incorrect) pressures for the first 20 mins of a drive, then the system seems to realise it’s not getting any info from the tyres after all and they all go blank (accompanied by warning on dash and the app buzzing my phone with an alarm)

I took mine off to get winter tyres fitted on Saturday, when I came to put them back on my first thought was the clips went onto the spokes, the scratches already on the spokes also being an indication (I thought).
Then a bit of head scratching when it was obvious the clips don’t go wide enough to go over the spokes.
Then a mid spoke epiphany.
Off subject, how are the all season tyres doing. Has the vibration/rumble gone?

UPDATE: My dealer agreed to change my tyres as they found flat areas on tyres (see earlier posts on this thread) MG China said not a warranty item so would not pay for exchange. Dealer has agreed to make a Good Will contribution as I wanted CrossClimat2 all seasons to be fitted if they were changing them. Took car in this morning to have tyres changed and what a difference!! Vibration and rumble noise gone!.
Lead tech guy showed me the Continentals taken off and from the inside it was obvious to see two ridges about 10 inches apart running left to right acrros the tyre where the tyre had deformed.
We both agreed probably caused in transit from China.
Vic Youngs have been excellent in resolving this issue and customer service is top class.
So I can put the Vibration/Rumble to bed and concentrate on the Infotainment issues (I have a new Screen (hardware) on order but dont expect to get until next year?).

UPDATE: My dealer agreed to change my tyres as they found flat areas on tyres (see earlier posts on this thread) MG China said not a warranty item so would not pay for exchange. Dealer has agreed to make a Good Will contribution as I wanted CrossClimat2 all seasons to be fitted if they were changing them. Took car in this morning to have tyres changed and what a difference!! Vibration and rumble noise gone!.
Lead tech guy showed me the Continentals taken off and from the inside it was obvious to see two ridges about 10 inches apart running left to right acrros the tyre where the tyre had deformed.
We both agreed probably caused in transit from China.
Vic Youngs have been excellent in resolving this issue and customer service is top class.
So I can put the Vibration/Rumble to bed and concentrate on the Infotainment issues (I have a new Screen (hardware) on order but dont expect to get until next year?).
I have had the chance to drive faster recently, before the freeze and today after it, at what speed was the vibration on your car? Mine is happening at motorway speeds only. Had all wheels rebalanced but it’s still there.

And? :)

When I'm doing 70 I can feel a very slight vibration at the steering wheel, but it's not at all intrusive.

And it’s intrusive and I want it sorted.
It sounds like a semi-permanent flat spot caused by the car sitting for several weeks at the docks and on the ship. If that is the case you might need new tyres which is a conversation you need with your dealer.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 536 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back