I agree about the main dealers. For the past 20 years I've used the local small garage and received excellent service but as he isn't approved or computer literate I have bought a 3 year MG service plan to maintain the warranty and the AA breakdown cover.

It might also be a problem for the independent garage to fill in the on-line electronic service record.

What happens if you don’t pay for any service plan at all?

How much would the service cost every year if you paid for it not in a service plan?

AA or similar is cheap or even free with credit card and things these days

What happens if you don’t pay for any service plan at all?

How much would the service cost every year if you paid for it not in a service plan?

AA or similar is cheap or even free with credit card and things these days
Nothing as long as you get your ev serviced at prescribed intervals by an approved garage to keep up warranty. It doesn't have to be a MG dealer. We get one year full AA breakdown with new car and as you said after that it is quite cheap as a bolt on breakdown cover to an insurance policy and other products etc. My dealer quoted me £300/year for servicing which I did not accept.

My dealer quoted £472.54 for 3 years :mad::eek::sick:
How much does a service cost each year the first few years?

Some say it’s only a case of changing the pollen filter that should cost around £30

These electric cars really should be very cheap maintenance and service costs compared to ICE cars

In the end we decided to go with the service plan but just pay up front so we still get the AA membership etc but don't have to pay the 1.25 management fee for each month (its essentially a loan)
We were told "We don't do more than 2 year plans as most people switch their cars after 3 years so don't need the 3rd service" We did get a reduced 2nd year as we are only planning to do 10K/year

You get AA cover for free anyway for first year when you buy the car

If you shop around approved MG places you should be able to get a service much cheaper than the service plan.

And you still have the seven year warranty

How much does a service cost each year the first few years?

Some say it’s only a case of changing the pollen filter that should cost around £30

These electric cars really should be very cheap maintenance and service costs compared to ICE cars
Cabin filter change on the 4 is 2 min job a child could do. I think they want you to change the brake fluid at 2 years ? Utter nonsense and a complete waste of resources.
The max coolant temp I've measured in the motor/ inverter circuit is 48 degrees so far, will be higher mid summer no doubt but much less stressed than ICE coolant, probably good for the life of the car.
Battery coolant circuit has not powered up to date, but I don't DC charge, doubt it would be very hot if I did.
A proper old school strip down and cleaning of the brakes and change of the reduction gear oil once in a while would be the genuinely useful things to have done.
It's all about maintaining dwindling revenue from 'servicing' I'm afraid, not really based on reality.

Cabin filter change on the 4 is 2 min job a child could do. I think they want you to change the brake fluid at 2 years ? Utter nonsense and a complete waste of resources.
The max coolant temp I've measured in the motor/ inverter circuit is 48 degrees so far, will be higher mid summer no doubt but much less stressed than ICE coolant, probably good for the life of the car.
Battery coolant circuit has not powered up to date, but I don't DC charge, doubt it would be very hot if I did.
A proper old school strip down and cleaning of the brakes and change of the reduction gear oil once in a while would be the genuinely useful things to have done.
It's all about maintaining dwindling revenue from 'servicing' I'm afraid, not really based on reality.
It sounds like it’s not worth paying upwards of £100 year for prepaid for servicing

Just pay for the service if when you need it

Question does it really invalidate the 7 year warranty if you don’t get a service every year?

Question does it really invalidate the 7 year warranty if you don’t get a service every year?
MG will be looking for any excuse so I would guess that would be the perfect one I'm afraid.
You can use any VAT reg garage for 'servicing' of course, as long as they use genuine non - existent MG parts for that imaginary servicing :rolleyes:

I'm not entirely sure of the value of the 'Seven year warranty'. Many things are excluded and are on a much shorter time period. Also, it only covers material and manufacturing defects that were there as new. Ask yourselves to what extent such things can this be proven.
Regarding the paint, it does seem to be VERY thin. It is wearing off the sharp trailing edge of the door handle where there should be no wear and I've only had the car a week.

I’ve received a quote from my dealer for a service plan for three annual services and the first MOT for the cost of £471.39. What does everybody think, it’s sounds expensive to me because I thought ev sevicng would be cheaper because no oil change, filters etc
I think it’s expensive had my ev5 serviced £80 and Thant an hours labour

Can someone confirm do you get free AA for a year with a brand new MG4 even if you don’t go for a service plan?

Yes. After 12 months if you take out a service plan your cover will continue. I did not take out a service plan as my dealer wanted £300/year.

I picked up my new MG4 this week and paid £285 for a 3 year low mileage (6k a year) service plan including MOT and AA cover, which I thought was a good deal. I paid that amount for just one service on my previous Volvo V40.
That's a good deal. Certainly beats my £900 quote for three years servicing from Arnold Clark.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back