Does anyone know what the actual service requirements are? I suspect the dealers are putting a brake change in there to make more money out of the 2nd year but normally brake fluid change is an optional part and not part of the official service requirements. (and given that EVs put brakes under way less stress I suspect its even less critical now)

Does anyone know what the actual service requirements are? I suspect the dealers are putting a brake change in there to make more money out of the 2nd year but normally brake fluid change is an optional part and not part of the official service requirements. (and given that EVs put brakes under way less stress I suspect its even less critical now)
Have a look at this thread

For those looking at alternatives, have a look at the HEVRA website HEVRA- Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Repair Alliance

It should show local garages that are more capable of dealing with EVs, and could well save yourself some money too.
First garage on the list local to us , their website didn’t recognise the existence of EV’s wanted to know the CC and quoted for oil and filter change. May be better on the phone 🤣LOL

I've been looking again at the MG Service Plan (with free AA cover extension). My dealer originally quoted £472.53 for 3 years but it's available directly from MG for £358.16 for 3 years on the basis of driving less than 10,000 miles per year. I know many will say "But what do they need to do?" and I don't know, but the first and third are costed at 1 hour labour and £1 materials each. I guess its just a little lubrication and inspection of various items. The second is 1.5 hours labour and £28.57 parts. Labour rate is £97/hour, which may seem a lot but it's less than I've been paying the Audi dealership these last years. Year 4 is more expensive, if you want it; 1.5hours still but £49.11 parts. You can include any required MOTs at extra charge, I believe. I'm minded to take out a plan.

I've been looking again at the MG Service Plan (with free AA cover extension). My dealer originally quoted £472.53 for 3 years but it's available directly from MG for £358.16 for 3 years on the basis of driving less than 10,000 miles per year. I know many will say "But what do they need to do?" and I don't know, but the first and third are costed at 1 hour labour and £1 materials each. I guess its just a little lubrication and inspection of various items. The second is 1.5 hours labour and £28.57 parts. Labour rate is £97/hour, which may seem a lot but it's less than I've been paying the Audi dealership these last years. Year 4 is more expensive, if you want it; 1.5hours still but £49.11 parts. You can include any required MOTs at extra charge, I believe. I'm minded to take out a plan.
The £28.57 in parts is likely for a new cabin air filter. That's about all that needs changing annually on an EV.

It's only alternate years that seem to include a cost for parts. There's probably an inspection check list somewhere and I think it's worth someone knowledgeable having a look around for any deterioration.

It's only alternate years that seem to include a cost for parts. There's probably an inspection check list somewhere and I think it's worth someone knowledgeable having a look around for any deterioration.
ISTR the checklist for my 2020 Zoe included such gems as "Check dust caps fitted to tyre valves"

I turned down the offer of a service plan from my dealer, as I'd really prefer to let my local garage do the checks and so on. But I'm concerned about the whole issue of software updates. Yesterday the dealer's HQ rang me out of the blue offering me another chance to take the service plan.

Still undecided.

As I've mentioned previously, I took out the dealer service plan - £399 for 3 years servicing including first MOT. As an MOT is (officially) £54.85 (currently) then that makes the servicing £344.15, or ~£114.72 per year. Given that each service renews MG Assist for the following year (probably retail value of ~£85) then that makes the actual service cost about £30 per year ... not a lot to maintain a warranty and ensure software updates. :)

Thanks for making me aware of this. My dealer, Arnold Clark wanted 300 quid a year for servicing which I obviously declined. Now it transpires if I get a quote direct from the MG website and if I want to pay in full I then contact Arnold Clark myself quoting the quote ref and effectively get three years worth of dealer servicing for almost one third of Arnold Clarks initial quote. Bordering on fraud I think.

Thanks for making me aware of this. My dealer, Arnold Clark wanted 300 quid a year for servicing which I obviously declined. Now it transpires if I get a quote direct from the MG website and if I want to pay in full I then contact Arnold Clark myself quoting the quote ref and effectively get three years worth of dealer servicing for almost one third of Arnold Clarks initial quote. Bordering on fraud I think.
AC have always been dodgy... :-( thats how/why he died a billionair...

FWIW it's an AC service plan I bought - paid for at the time I picked up the car. That was the price they offered; none of the "let's try to fleece the customer for servicing" malarky.

I've been quoted £626.67 which seems excessive to me. This is on 12,000 miles a year though, when I said that 8,000 was more realistic. I just don't know what option I have. £18.99 a month. I don't think it's worth it, but how else to keep in touch with software updates?

I didn't specify anything regarding mileage - that plan was based on the standard intervals (12 months, 15k miles I think - not that I'll get anywhere near that).

I've been quoted £626.67 which seems excessive to me. This is on 12,000 miles a year though, when I said that 8,000 was more realistic. I just don't know what option I have. £18.99 a month. I don't think it's worth it, but how else to keep in touch with software updates?

Software updates should be free under warranty.
Which means you’re free to get servicing done by whomever you want
Many people use Cleevely who will service at your door (and have just done one of their ‘tours of Scotland’ servicing/fixing EVs)

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel