I have a garage within walking distance who always serviced my Golf, right from the start, and managed to prove to VW's satisfaction that he'd done it right when my engine blew up after just under 3 years and 35,000 miles. They gave me a new engine free. He says he can do routine stuff on EVs, and indeed someone was driving out in a Leaf as we were having the conversation. I'd far rather let him do it, but I feel I'm somewhat over a barrel.

I have a garage within walking distance who always serviced my Golf, right from the start, and managed to prove to VW's satisfaction that he'd done it right when my engine blew up after just under 3 years and 35,000 miles. They gave me a new engine free. He says he can do routine stuff on EVs, and indeed someone was driving out in a Leaf as we were having the conversation. I'd far rather let him do it, but I feel I'm somewhat over a barrel.

Laws were put in place precisely to stop people being “over a barrel” when it comes to servicing cars.

Software updates should be free under warranty.
Which means you’re free to get servicing done by whomever you want
Many people use Cleevely who will service at your door (and have just done one of their ‘tours of Scotland’ servicing/fixing EVs)
Have you used them before? if so how do the costs compare to a MG service plan?

Have you used them before? if so how do the costs compare to a MG service plan?

I enquired once, but couldn’t get dates to work.
I’d love to use them, their reputation is impressive.
Maybe more scope for you to use them in terms of location.
One example last week was a Zoe that the owner was told needed thousands of pounds of work to get charging again, they fixed it for £160.

I knew those was too good to be true!!!
So I just got a quote from MG website for 374 for 3 years including MOT. As I wanted to pay in full, the quote told me to contact my chosen dealer and pay direct to them on the given number which turned out to be a sofa company. So eventually called my dealer on old number and they told me they could not accept payment and referred me to MG customer services. Called customer services and was told they have just withdrawn official MG service plans and are waiting for this feature to be removed from their website and my quote is not valid.
So as it stand there is no change and I am without service plan unless I pay Arnold Clark £300/year!!!
Even more worrying, why are MG no longer offering official service plans? What is the problem?

.....So after being knocked back for an MG Service Plan paying in full up front I then tried the option on the MG website to make monthly payments over 3 years. Website still allowed me to go through with this and accepted my direct debit and sent me a contract for 3 years servicing and MOT. Only now it is costing me 469 over 3 years as opposed to 374 up front.

Yearly services on an EV are a con, let’s be frank.
MG and Nissan (Leaf) and anyone else insisting on yearly services are ripping us off.

My Born is every two years (although some dealers think it’s yearly, buyer beware).

Reports online seem to suggest I’ll be around £139, which includes a brake fluid change and a set of wipers (?!)

So if I time it right it’s feasible my 4 year tenure with the car will only involve one service ( if I return it just before the second one is due )

I knew those was too good to be true!!!
So I just got a quote from MG website for 374 for 3 years including MOT. As I wanted to pay in full, the quote told me to contact my chosen dealer and pay direct to them on the given number which turned out to be a sofa company. So eventually called my dealer on old number and they told me they could not accept payment and referred me to MG customer services. Called customer services and was told they have just withdrawn official MG service plans and are waiting for this feature to be removed from their website and my quote is not valid.
So as it stand there is no change and I am without service plan unless I pay Arnold Clark £300/year!!!
Even more worrying, why are MG no longer offering official service plans? What is the problem?
My God, the more I read and experience the more it appears that MG customer service is a disastrous shambles. How the hell do they hope to sell a high end roadster !

.....So after being knocked back for an MG Service Plan paying in full up front I then tried the option on the MG website to make monthly payments over 3 years. Website still allowed me to go through with this and accepted my direct debit and sent me a contract for 3 years servicing and MOT. Only now it is costing me 469 over 3 years as opposed to 374 up front.

£469? Think yourself lucky, the quote I have is £626. Macklin Motors. It's a total rip-off.

£469? Think yourself lucky, the quote I have is £626. Macklin Motors. It's a total rip-off.
Has someone from Vertu Motors not called you (from outside the dealership) to offer a service plan? (Macklin Motors are part of the Vertu Motors group - my brother used to work in the telesales team who sold service plans, mostly to people who bought from group dealerships but didn't take out the dealer service plan. These plans were usually cheaper than the dealer plans, as they had more scope for discounting. The sales team gets details of all group car sales where a dealer plan wasn't taken).

That could be it. When I got the car the dealer tried to sell me the service plan twice, and I said, nice try. But then I started to wonder if I should, after all, use the dealer for service.

Yesterday I was called by someone with an English accent, I presumed from Macklin Motors head office, but does the number 0191 491 7812 mean anything to anyone? That's the number of a missed call on my mobile which seems to be timed shortly before I took that call on my landline. Could be Vertu Motors, I don't know.

My memory actually was that the deal Macklin Motors Edinburgh was punting was more like £16.99 a month. This one wants £18.99 a month. I could be misremembering though. Either one seems like a rip-off.

Yesterday I was called by someone with an English accent, I presumed from Macklin Motors head office, but does the number 0191 491 7812 mean anything to anyone? That's the number of a missed call on my mobile which seems to be timed shortly before I took that call on my landline. Could be Vertu Motors, I don't know.

My memory actually was that the deal Macklin Motors Edinburgh was punting was more like £16.99 a month. This one wants £18.99 a month. I could be misremembering though. Either one seems like a rip-off.

Www.who-called.co.uk

By leasing the M4 Long Range Trophy I can get full AA cover & full maintenance , including tyres, even puncture repairs, for £16pm, total £193 pa, which is better than the dealer "special" offer of £250 just for the 1st service!

On the “anyone can service your car” thing, yep, my Alfa never saw a main dealership.

But bear in mind that law was driven by an EU directive and we know how our govt feels about EU law retention.

Look what happened to mobile roaming once we left….that was an EU directive that was rapidly obsolete

On the “anyone can service your car” thing, yep, my Alfa never saw a main dealership.

But bear in mind that law was driven by an EU directive and we know how our govt feels about EU law retention.

Look what happened to mobile roaming once we left….that was an EU directive that was rapidly obsolete
It depends what network you’re with whilst you’re right in the majority of cases it has been removed. 02 and virgin media still do it which both of them are joined at the hip and are think they have a base in Europe.

I'm the same. Non of my previous cars have been serviced by a main dealer but I've decided to take out a 3 year service plan for this one, which in hind-site I've probably paid over the odds for, but I'll put that down to experience.

One of the reasons I went down that route was if it's serviced at an MG dealer all the software should be updated and not just the safety related updates that MG are obliged to do if you take it in after servicing at an independent garage.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back