Point of order ... OPD is not available for Phase 1 cars. If the car didn't have OPD on collection, it won't get it now - at least there's no update as of yet to add it to the older cars. :)
Handy to know, I was more interested in the simpler heating controls screen. Do you know if this change affects phase1 cars ?

1300R40 and R46 (Trophy) and 1100R33 (SE) introduce the new HVAC controls screen. This also applies for Phase 1 cars (which is what my SE SR is, and has 1100R33 after the first service last November).

I wouldnt have accepted that, its a year old and there have been lots of updates since then including the much clearer heater control interface and one pedal driving option.

I'll be stipulating I want my car on the latest software as part of the service. I find the tesla style cockpit view heating controls quite fiddly

The service does not include any type of updates. Updates are not a free offering. They are essentially a paid for change (for MG at least)

If you want them to be free you need to complain saying you have a problem. If you do that your then able to get it under the warranty but its only because the dealer is able to charge MG under the warranty. For them to just apply the update because you want it they would need to pay the bill for it.

Any update which is a recall (RCxxx) or a service campaign (SCxxx) are covered under warranty, so should be installed by the service agent when servicing the car as they get paid for doing them. If they did plug the car into their computer and MG's servers said No Updates, then fair enough. But I would be highly surprised if that was indeed the case.

Most cars I've owned all had software/firmware updates applied as part of the service. It would feel that its even more relevant to do on an electric car where almost everything is controlled via the software. :rolleyes: I've not had my car serviced before, but I've 3 MG dealers in the area so I'll give my business to the one who'll put me on R46.

I'm still on the original software the car came with 11 months ago.

The latest software versions aren't always bug free and you might be swapping one set of problems for another. The occasional bugs I have I know about them so they don't catch me out.

I don't have violent LKA or phantom braking either because of the way the sensors etc. were in initially calibrated or because I've slightly altered my driving style. For example when overtaking a stationary car I now let the approaching vehicle travel a bit further before accelerating in to the emerging gap.

I'm still on the original software the car came with 11 months ago.

The latest software versions aren't always bug free and you might be swapping one set of problems for another. The occasional bugs I have I know about them so they don't catch me out.
Good point. Now I have had updates to fix problems I have new bugs to go back to the dealer for further updates that can cause more problems. And the original issue I reported (unable to preheat cabin via the app under any circumstances) is still not resolved.

Any update which is a recall (RCxxx) or a service campaign (SCxxx) are covered under warranty, so should be installed by the service agent when servicing the car as they get paid for doing them. If they did plug the car into their computer and MG's servers said No Updates, then fair enough. But I would be highly surprised if that was indeed the case.

Not sure they plug any computers in m8.
The software is downloaded to a USB, then onto the car.

As evidenced by what what left in my car last week!

I gave it back along with a trim tool.

Not even a thankyou.

Miserable buggers.

Screenshot_20240313_151425_Gmail.jpg

I think that's for applying updates - at least for the Infotainment. To determine what updates are needed then either the car is plugged in, or they use the VIN in their MG system to determine the updates available.

Could I ask if having the MG4 serviced at a main dealer is necessary to maintain the 7-year warranty? If it's just pollen filters and so on, my local garage would be more than capable, I'm sure.

It is possible (by law) to maintain the warranty by using a local garage, so long as they use all the correct MG-approved parts. I did that with my previous Golf, and when I had a huge warranty claim (new engine needed at 30,000 miles) VW coughed up, after giving the garage owner the third degree to make sure he'd done it all right.

However the main issue with the MG and I think all new cars whether ICE or EV is software updates. You're not going to get these from a local garage, and I think you probably want them, at least at this stage.

I had originally planned to use the local garage again, before I appreciated about the software updates. Now I will use the dealer, at least until such time as I realise there are no more software updates I particularly want. And by then the local guy might have more experience with EV maintenance.

I think that's for applying updates - at least for the Infotainment. To determine what updates are needed then either the car is plugged in, or they use the VIN in their MG system to determine the updates available.
Pretty sure my dealer entered the VIN into their computer, because they said there was nothing needed on mine.
I told them to "Ask the car, not your computer", and when they came back they said they'd applied 3 updates.

Last edited:
My experiences trying to get my AC charge fault fixed is putting me off getting updates.

I have a separate thread for it but suffice to say I am on my 3rd visit to the dealer and back to the original problem again after a host of updates and changes.

If your car works, leave it alone.

Last edited:
but then MG will say, sorry, you've invalidated your warranty because you didn't get the software updated when they made it available at the time of scheduled service.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back