IMG-1432.jpg

Does this seem like a reasonable quote? I’m picking up my car on Thursday and it’s already had the first year’s service done at 8k miles back in November 2023.

Indeed ... after all AC stands for Air Conditioning, not Air Cooling. :)

IMG-1432.jpg

Does this seem like a reasonable quote? I’m picking up my car on Thursday and it’s already had the first year’s service done at 8k miles back in November 2023.
That's the garage I had mine from new, my first service was £100.08 so there's a few quid saving by the looks of it on a plan.

IMG-1432.jpg

Speaking very roughly £100 for a minor and £200 for a major services seems to be the rough average. There are those who have had it cheaper.

Whether or not people think it is reasonable seem to vary a lot: some do (considering inspections, critical updates, filters/fluids, AA membership etc...) and some think it is daylight robbery.

I’ve received a quote from my dealer for a service plan for three annual services and the first MOT for the cost of £471.39. What does everybody think, it’s sounds expensive to me because I thought ev sevicng would be cheaper because no oil change, filters etc
I Had a quote from the dealer I bought the car from in Taunton in Feb and they quoted me £471.39 for a 3 YEAR SERVICE will be looking around at other dealers at the prices on here it would be worth the extra distance

I Had a quote from the dealer I bought the car from in Taunton in Feb and they quoted me £471.39 for a 3 YEAR SERVICE will be looking around at other dealers at the prices on here it would be worth the extra distance
Someone here mentioned last week, that all Howard's branches are breaking ties with MG so there's going to be a big MG black hole in the Somerset area soon. Hopefully someone else will fill the gap.🤔

Speaking very roughly £100 for a minor and £200 for a major services seems to be the rough average. There are those who have had it cheaper.

Whether or not people think it is reasonable seem to vary a lot: some do (considering inspections, critical updates, filters/fluids, AA membership etc...) and some think it is daylight robbery.
1712573707515.png

I guess my quote is expensive then?

In Australia the first service is at 24 months or 40,000km. Cost is $296.00 and there is a long list of things to be checked. see below.

• Check the function of the Parking Brake and adjust it as necessary.
  • Check the operation of the Lamps, Horns and system warning indicators.
  • Check operation and accuracy of windscreen wipers, washer and windscreen for damage - If the washer nozzles are adjustable, adjust them if required.
  • Check the status and function of seat belt.
  • Check various control function of A/C system.
  • Replace air-conditioning filter.
  • Check status and function of seat.
  • Check the condition of bonnet safety catch, tailgate/boot lid lock, door locks, hinges, door checks etc., Clean up all the dust and refill lubricating grease as necessary.
  • Check operation of electric sunroof, lubricate channels as necessary (If Fitted)
  • Check the connection and status of the 12v battery.
  • Check the High-Voltage harness for mutual interference, wear or damage. Check the appearance of the high/low-voltage connectors to confirm surface is damaged or not.
  • Check the washer fluid level and add to the standard level as necessary.
  • Replace Brake fluid
  • Check the status of cooling system pipeline and connecting parts.
  • Check the level and concentration of coolant, and add to the standard level as necessary.
  • Check the status of the A/C system pipeline such as the compressor, the cooling pipeline, and the condenser. Clean relevant surfaces as necessary.
  • Check the status of brake vacuum booster and hose.
  • Check the appearance of the high/low-voltage connectors to confirm the surface is damaged or not and installation is in place or not.
  • Check the high/low-voltage harness for mutual interference, wear or damage.
  • Check the appearance of the high/low-voltage battery pack vent valve for damage, and check installation marks to see if it has moved.
  • Check the status of the manual service switch to ensure reliable mounting and clean up the dust on the surface.
  • Check the mounting position of the cooling water pipe and clip to ensure reliable sealing.
  • Check the installation marks of any high-voltage battery pack mounting bolts and ensure the bolts are fastened.
  • Check the appearance of high-voltage battery housing (including bracket) for crack or deformation.
  • Check the appearance of high-voltaqe battery pack grounding wire and replace it as necessary.
  • Check the status and thickness of front and rear brake pads and brake discs, and replace them as necessary.
  • Check brake pipes and hoses for condition and security. Ensure that hoses and not twisted or kinked.
  • Check the wheel bearings and drive shaft sleeve.
  • Check the suspension and steering system for leakage or wear.
  • Check the tyres for tread depth and signs of damage, deformation, or uneven tyre wear, including the spare tyre (if equipped). Check the four-wheel alignment data and perform front and rear wheel rotation as appropriate.
  • Check tyre pressures and adjust as necessary, including the spare tyre (if equipped).
  • Check if the chassis and underbody bolts and nuts are fastened or fixed, and replace them as necessary.
  • Check the electric drive transmission fluid level, and add to the standard level as necessary.
  • Check the electric drive transmission mounting bracket.
  • Use diagnostic software to reset service reminder interval indicator. Check for fault codes and determine operational status of the control systems.
  • Check software version of electronic control units and upgrade to latest version if available.
  • Check the equilibrium state of the high-voltage battery pack and suggest the owner carry out an equalising charge as necessary.
  • Carry out road test, and check the status and function of power system, brake, steering and other systems.
The 4 year or 80,000km service is a lot more expensive at $907.00 but the list is not much different. About the only difference is replacing coolant and transmission fluid so how can they justify 3 times the cost? The 4 year service is below.

• Check the function of the Parking Brake and adjust it as necessary.
  • Check the operation of the Lamps, Horns and system warning indicators.
  • Check operation and accuracy of windscreen wipers, washer and windscreen for damage - If the washer nozzles are adjustable, adjust them if required.
  • Check the status and function of seat belt.
  • Check various control function of A/C system.
  • Replace air-conditioning filter.
  • Check status and function of seat.
  • Check the condition of bonnet safety catch, tailgate/boot lid lock, door locks, hinges, door checks etc., Clean up all the dust and refill lubricating grease as necessary.
  • Check operation of electric sunroof, lubricate channels as necessary (If Fitted)
  • Check the connection and status of the 12v battery.
  • Check the High-Voltage harness for mutual interference, wear or damage. Check the appearance of the high/low-voltage connectors to confirm surface is damaged or not.
  • Check the washer fluid level and add to the standard level as necessary.
  • Replace Brake fluid
  • Check the status of cooling system pipeline and connecting parts.
  • Replace Coolant
  • Check the status of the A/C system pipeline such as the compressor, the cooling pipeline, and the condenser. Clean relevant surfaces as necessary.
  • Check the status of brake vacuum booster and hose.
  • Check the appearance of the high/low-voltage connectors to confirm the surface is damaged or not and installation is in place or not.
  • Check the high/low-voltage harness for mutual interference, wear or damage.
  • Check the appearance of the high/low-voltage battery pack vent valve for damage, and check installation marks to see if it has moved.
  • Check the status of the manual service switch to ensure reliable mounting and clean up the dust on the surface.
  • Check the mounting position of the cooling water pipe and clip to ensure reliable sealing.
  • Check the installation marks of any high-voltage battery pack mounting bolts and ensure the bolts are fastened.
  • Check the appearance of high-voltage battery housing (including bracket) for crack or deformation.
  • Check the appearance of high-voltaqe battery pack grounding wire and replace it as necessary.
  • Check the status and thickness of front and rear brake pads and brake discs, and replace them as necessary.
  • Check brake pipes and hoses for condition and security. Ensure that hoses and not twisted or kinked.
  • Check the wheel bearings and drive shaft sleeve.
  • Check the suspension and steering system for leakage or wear.
  • Check the tyres for tread depth and signs of damage, deformation, or uneven tyre wear, including the spare tyre (if equipped). Check the four-wheel alignment data and perform front and rear wheel rotation as appropriate.
  • Check tyre pressures and adjust as necessary, including the spare tyre (if equipped).
  • Check if the chassis and underbody bolts and nuts are fastened or fixed, and replace them as necessary.
  • Replace the electric drive transmission fluid
  • Check the electric drive transmission mounting bracket.
  • Use diagnostic software to reset service reminder interval indicator. Check for fault codes and determine operational status of the control systems.
  • Check software version of electronic control units and upgrade to latest version if available.
  • Check the equilibrium state of the high-voltage battery pack and suggest the owner carry out an equalising charge as necessary.
  • Carry out road test, and check the status and function of power system, brake, steering and other systems.
This process continues up to 280,000km or 14 years. I am hoping that within a couple of years there will be enough car service outfits capable of looking after EVs because the 4 year service is a complete rip off. Note that both services include software updates. The car is capable of getting OTA updates but to date MG won't allow this. Tesla & BYD provide OTA and more companies will follow so to remain competitive hopefully this will change for MG.

mg service plan.png

Mine's £382 for 3 years, including the MG Assist AA as long as I keep paying. First service due next month, but hopefully will already be in the garage for new CCU and they can knock the service out at the same time.

I’d be very happy having it serviced at a reputable garage if it wasn’t for the fact it’ll miss software updates
I spent along time with a vehicle technician at the dealer where our new x-power is currently sat awaiting warranty work.

Specifically asked him about software updates at services - he said that unless there was a service campaign that mandated an upgrade or unless the customer has complained about a specific issue, no software updates would be done as MG would not pay for their time to do this.

So it seems you'll only get updates if you complain or have issues (which are then claimed back by the garage from MG as a warranty issue).

He also advised against a service plan as it ties you into a particular dealer/group who may or may not be an MG dealer a couple of years down the road (good example is the Howards group in Somerset dropping MG as a brand imminently)

Last edited:
View attachment 25558

Mine's £382 for 3 years, including the MG Assist AA as long as I keep paying. First service due next month, but hopefully will already be in the garage for new CCU and they can knock the service out at the same time.
Mine was similar ... £399 for first 3 services and first MOT.

I looked at a 4 year plan and was astounded at the cost of the 4th service so just went for 3 years. My car is unlikely to reach 60000 miles before I croak.

Mine was similar ... £399 for first 3 services and first MOT.
I've just read the email from them with the quote and it says this:
'Don’t forget when you service with any Chapelhouse centre we will do your mot test each year foc, we even offer you a loan car whilst yours car is in with us and to finish off we will do a free wash and vax!'
So looks like I'll get an MOT with courtesy car & a well needed wash!

He also advised against a service plan as it ties you into a particular dealer/group who may or may not be an MG dealer a couple of years down the road (good example is the Howards group in Somerset dropping MG as a brand imminently)

Presumably taking a service plan out via the MG portal would be a better bet ?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back