If it's anything like a "service" on a Nissan LEAF it'll be:
  • change the pollen filter
  • check the car over similar to an MoT test
  • top up any fluids at additional cost
  • lubricate the hinges
  • send you a video of the car and any issues found
  • give the car a bath
  • invoice you for £150
So if there isn't a pollen filter for the year 1 MG4 'service', and you don't want a wash and scratch with the dealer sweeping swirl brush, you pay £150 to spray some goo on your hinges?
I imagine they check the car over on a petrol car too. Well, you hope they would.

If it's anything like a "service" on a Nissan LEAF it'll be:
  • change the pollen filter
  • check the car over similar to an MoT test
  • top up any fluids at additional cost
  • lubricate the hinges
  • send you a video of the car and any issues found
  • give the car a bath
  • invoice you for £150

Mercedes would call that a “health check”… and charge about £450 !!!

No one has convinced me that if I am to purchase an MG4, or likewise electric car, if i were to clandestine observe first hand the first 'service', I would be almost hungry to part with my £100-£150-£200+, due to what I just viewed.

No one has convinced me that if I am to purchase an MG4, or likewise electric car, if i were to clandestine observe first hand the first 'service', I would be almost hungry to part with my £100-£150-£200+, due to what I just viewed.
Reminds me that “screen wash refill” was on my first Suzuki service. Needless to say I made sure to top it up myself and let them know it didn’t need any.

My car service had service kit supplied by Mazda which was priced in. My windscreen fluid was full so they just gave me the bottle out of the kit.

Service

Negatives
Price/value for money
Having to tell them not to clean the car as they make it worse and paintwork swirly

Postives
While you wait service with full tea/coffee and Internet allowing me to work or courtesy car
Body work perforation inspection for warranty
Full car and underbody inspection
Brake pad measurement, tyre inspection
ODB error check and latest s/w updates (probably not available at non Mazda service points)
Peace of mind on mechanical/electrical warranty

I am a peace of mind guy so I do cost that in as a benefit. With so much app/software on modern cars unless non franchised service centres get up to speed they can only do the mechanicals using branded parts re warranty.

Alan

I think I am going to do PAYG servicing with the dealer for a year or until I get a stable software release, then DIY or use a local garage. I already have breakdown cover twice over with other non-car deals.

I think I am going to do PAYG servicing with the dealer for a year or until I get a stable software release, then DIY or use a local garage. I already have breakdown cover twice over with other non-car deals.
Yes and us here in spain have breakdown cover included in every car insurance policy and the dealer here in Valencia told me that each service is around 70 euros

does the terms of the warenty include that the car must be serviced within the intervals by an approved MG mechanic?

Warranties can't insist that servicing is done via the dealer network (Block Exemption rules or something like that), but they can insist that OEM parts/materials are used.

Flip side is - if you service via the dealer network then you're more likely to get a more-favourable response from the manufacturer in situations where something fails and the warranty on that has just expired, than if you haven't. 🤷‍♂️

Warranties can't insist that servicing is done via the dealer network (Block Exemption rules or something like that), but they can insist that OEM parts/materials are used.

Flip side is - if you service via the dealer network then you're more likely to get a more-favourable response from the manufacturer in situations where something fails and the warranty on that has just expired, than if you haven't. 🤷‍♂️
Warranties can’t insist but PCP deals can insist you service with a main dealer, so worth checking small print - although irrelevant if you never hand the car back.

Yes and also if you do go outside the MG dealer network for service and then make a warranty claim, the onus is for you to prove that OEM parts were used and MG recommended service procedures were used.

I assume these service plans only cover routine service items? So if the service inspection were to reveal something non routine needed doing (eg replacing a warped brake rotor say), would you be expected to stump up even more (or hope it would be covered by the warranty)? Dealers are masters at charging extra for exclusions.

I have attached my service quote from the dealership.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-16 at 20.16.57.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-16 at 20.16.57.png
    170.8 KB · Views: 160
Well at least the oil won’t need changing because most of it will have leaked on the driveway! 😜

Hi all
I’m just rooting around for a 3 year service quote and got this from Glyn Hopkin - no MOT but does have AA cover as well, (My low annual mileage may be a factor but for just under £7 per month I think it’s a good deal

Attachments

• QuoteDocument 114J9W-1.pdf
    750.1 KB · Views: 115

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video