I'm £250 for 3 years with Renault includes roadside assistance, if I'd taken their finance it was £3.99 a month for 3 years, no MOT included, roadside assistance was extra also. So basically under £150 for 3 years servicing. Guy told me all the do initially are a couple of diagnostic checks and new cabin filter, that's it

While we are in a whimsical mood, EV ‘servicing items that require attention’ reminds me of a favourite poem of mine;

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn’t there!
He wasn’t there again today,
Oh how I wish he’d go away!”

When I came home last night at three,
The man was waiting there for me
But when I looked around the hall,
I couldn’t see him there at all!
Go away, go away, don’t you come back any more!
Go away, go away, and please don’t slam the door…

Last night I saw upon the stair,
A little man who wasn’t there,
He wasn’t there again today
Oh, how I wish he’d go away…

And here's one for MG customer services.

Halfway down the stairs
Is a stair
Where I sit.
There isn't any
Other stair
Quite like
It.
I'm not at the bottom,
I'm not at the top;
So this is the stair
Where
I always
Stop.

Halfway up the stairs
Isn't up
And isn't down.
It isn't in the nursery,
It isn't in the town.
And all sorts of funny thoughts
Run round my head:
"It isn't really
Anywhere!
It's somewhere else
Instead!"

And here's one for MG customer services.

Halfway down the stairs
Is a stair
Where I sit.
There isn't any
Other stair
Quite like
It.
I'm not at the bottom,
I'm not at the top;
So this is the stair
Where
I always
Stop.

Halfway up the stairs
Isn't up
And isn't down.
It isn't in the nursery,
It isn't in the town.
And all sorts of funny thoughts
Run round my head:
"It isn't really
Anywhere!
It's somewhere else
Instead!"
I think you're being too kind to them , they aren't anywhere near halfway. 😂

Making a big but sensible assumption that you can get serviced at any MG dealer rather than the purchase dealer to get the MS Assist extension? The wording is a bit specific on the MG website...

Following on from your initial year's roadside assistance, when you take your car back to your MG dealer for every subsequent scheduled service, if you choose the option, you will receive a further 12 months’ MG Assistance free.

Been offered £222 for 3 services, about 7 quid a month

Last edited:
I bought my mg4 from one dealer and took the service plan from another and was told that the aa cover would be renewed with each service.

My assumption is that I now need to take the car to the dealer that sold me the service plan, but the wording in the contract implies that maybe I could use any mg uk dealer.

Been offered £222 for 3 services, about 7 quid a month.

I think you have been quoted the best price I've seen on here for a 3 year package, even if it doesn't include the first MOT I'd be going with that deal, really good value👍

yeah I was quite surprised. They've offered the same plan as for MG ZS EV as the MG4 isn't on the system yet
To be fair why wouldn't they quote the same price! It will pretty much be getting exactly the same attention as the ZS ev. Like I say top deal, I think you have now set the benchmark for everyone else on here 👍

To be fair why wouldn't they quote the same price! It will pretty much be getting exactly the same attention as the ZS ev. Like I say top deal, I think you have now set the benchmark for everyone else on here 👍
in a sensible world I agree - theres pretty much nothing to do! But most places seem to find any excuse to bump the prices, a new EV platform is an obvious opportunity as they can easily say its different and they need to check extra stuff.

Things always seem to work against the customer - for me a 3 year service plan is guaranteed business for that one dealer where I could go to any of 4 or 5 equally convenient to me, but instead they seem to want to put a premium on that rather than a discount! "Lock in todays prices, for an extra £30" :D

@CaptReid
I see on another thread you where asking about Service Plans.
I also see your showing Durham on your profile.
I am from Newcastle and should be picking up my MG4 this week from Silverlink.
I enquired in the area for prices for service plans and got the following details.
it looks like you get the same service so Vic Young will be the better offer. IMO.

3 Year Service Plan. Including AA Renewal.

Richard Hardie Silverlink Newcastle: £378.72

Vic Young South Shields: £241.20

Croxdale Durham: £404.33

The first and third service are inspection services which includes checking the car over for any leaks etc, topping up any fluids. The second service includes the above plus the replacement of the cabin air filter.

@CaptReid
I see on another thread you where asking about Service Plans.
I also see your showing Durham on your profile.
I am from Newcastle and should be picking up my MG4 this week from Silverlink.
I enquired in the area for prices for service plans and got the following details.
it looks like you get the same service so Vic Young will be the better offer. IMO.

3 Year Service Plan. Including AA Renewal.

Richard Hardie Silverlink Newcastle: £378.72

Vic Young South Shields: £241.20

Croxdale Durham: £404.33

The first and third service are inspection services which includes checking the car over for any leaks etc, topping up any fluids. The second service includes the above plus the replacement of the cabin air filter.
Some difference in price for the same service, Vic Young is onto a winner with that detail, he could soon force the other 2 to drop their prices.

Collecting my mg4 Thursday , dealer quoted £14 per month for a service plan is this a fair price for the car? ( new ev owner)

£14 per month = £168 per year, = £504 over 3 years. I paid (up-front) £399 for 3 years servicing (which does renew MG Assist/AA each following year) plus first MOT.

If you don't take it out you may get a call from a 3rd party (like Vertu Motors) for a service plan - you can negotiate a much better deal than taking the dealer plan. (Servicing will still be with the same dealer network. But check/confirm re. MG Assist renewal ... it is like AA Relay Plus including Home Start. A service plan on an EV is poor value unless MG Assist is included).

I’m checking what my BIL has paid for servicing on his 49000 mile MG5.
Surely the 4 would be in line with that.

EDIT
His MG5 services have been as follows:
£84.00
£190.00
£84.00

My MG dealer's quote is £604 for the first 3 years service (not including first MOT at year 3) on an MG4. That's nearly £17 a month. Yes, the MG Assist get's re-upped annually (and I was paying £81 a year previously for just RAC Roadside on my old car) but how come it's so expensive - and there's no other option from this particular dealer.

Does anyone know what an annual service without contract costs in the first 3 years for EVs? (obviously going to any MG servicing centre will get the MG Assist renewed for the next year).

My MG dealer's quote is £604 for the first 3 years service (not including first MOT at year 3) on an MG4. That's nearly £17 a month. Yes, the MG Assist get's re-upped annually (and I was paying £81 a year previously for just RAC Roadside on my old car) but how come it's so expensive - and there's no other option from this particular dealer.

Does anyone know what an annual service without contract costs in the first 3 years for EVs? (obviously going to any MG servicing centre will get the MG Assist renewed for the next year).

£200 a year for an EV is outrageous.

£200 a year for an EV is outrageous.
It certainly is isn't it but then I looked at the AA and the breakdown cover package from MG Assist would be £220 if purchased direct from AA. Swings and roundabouts I guess? I don't know what to do really as this MG dealership is the only one anywhere near me (and they will pick up and return my car when serviced which is invaluable to me).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back