MG4 Should I get one? What’s the consensus from owners and those waiting?

Being an early adopter of any new car model always carries additional risk so it's better not to do it if you have any choice about the timing of your purchase.
Pretty much sums it up.

I cancelled my order today unfortunately and for me there was to many issues for brand new car.

I will observe now BYD and Smart#1 announcements. I received e mail from smart they will open pre orders in spring for summer deliveries. BYD supposed to start pre orders end of this year however currently only Arnold Clark announced as a seller for Scotland.
Braver than me with BYD, potentially buying from a company of whom this is the first time I'd ever heard of.
Smart 'hashtag one', the 'urban companion compact SUV'. To each their own but, again purely personal, I don't get the need for literally all electric cars to have this 'alien' look, like the alien out of the film/book Communion. Tag on the obligatory wheel trims, sorry, aero covers, and you've got your 2022+ electric car almost requisite look.
Anyone seen the new upcoming KONA? Looks like a helmet from a futuristic sci-fi film

Last edited:
I cancelled my order today unfortunately and for me there was to many issues for brand new car.
I will observe now BYD and Smart#1 announcements. I received e mail from smart they will open pre orders in spring for summer deliveries. BYD supposed to start pre orders end of this year however currently only Arnold Clark announced as a seller for Scotland.

Whether I reject or keep the 4 and sell it as soon as I can afford to, I’m also interested in the smart one PCP figures.
I fear it will be substantially dearer than the 4.
The Abarth 500e is also interesting, I don’t need the size of the 4.

You also need to look at Smart's record with EVs and their appalling lack of support for their customers when problems arise. MG look fantastic in comparison. :eek: :rolleyes::unsure:

Anyone seen the new upcoming KONA? Looks like a helmet from a futuristic sci-fi film

Is that good or bad? :unsure: Nissan actively targeted the Darth Vader look for the Ariya which is similarly plug ugly.

I like my EVs to look ‘different’
The first Leaf was ace, the second one was a bit meh.
The 4 is decent looking, but still in an ICE way (could be an Astra or focus)

I personally think the 4 looks decent from the front and is certainly distinctive ( you would definitely know it was a 4, if it was behind you)

From every other angle it looks like a bit like a few cars on the market, definitely ripped off Toyota at the backend

I personally think the 4 looks decent from the front and is certainly distinctive ( you would definitely know it was a 4, if it was behind you)

From every other angle it looks like a bit like a few cars on the market, definitely ripped off Toyota at the backend
Cupar Born from the front for me

Attachments

• 9199E7AA-EA97-44B8-9A5B-4E9E67BC189B.jpeg
    9199E7AA-EA97-44B8-9A5B-4E9E67BC189B.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 66
Neighbour had a white born, he loves it (apart from the haptic buttons) although he says he is now getting used to them.
I agree really good looking car from the front, id3 from every other angle just a bit lower with better wheels

You also need to look at Smart's record with EVs and their appalling lack of support for their customers when problems arise. MG look fantastic in comparison. :eek: :rolleyes::unsure:
I believe smart use mercedes dealers for distribution so are they so bad?

Comment regarding BYD they are top notch with their blade batteries and even Tesla knocking on their doors. Positive is they only do lfp batteries and currently only batteries what pass nail puncture test ( they don't catch fire or smoke when damaged)

I will observe and see, I also doesn't agree comment with MG 4 being new platform as this car was released in China first for fee months so we should have less issues ot more.

I believe smart use mercedes dealers for distribution so are they so bad?

Comment regarding BYD they are top notch with their blade batteries and even Tesla knocking on their doors. Positive is they only do lfp batteries and currently only batteries what pass nail puncture test ( they don't catch fire or smoke when damaged)

I will observe and see, I also doesn't agree comment with MG 4 being new platform as this car was released in China first for fee months so we should have less issues ot more.
Yes, I’m also surprised with the number of issues given that the MG4 has been around for a while outside the uk.

BYD are a massive company, albeit not in the uk.
Their batteries and technology are pretty much at the forefront of battery technology/innovation.
How this translates into cars remains to be seen, I'm not a lover of the atto, the seal (Strange name for a car) looks outstanding and has been getting positive reviews
Mind you look at the reviews the 4 got!

BYD are a massive company, albeit not in the uk.
At first I thought it was a DIY shop or something lol I looked them up online and their cars seem to have got that eletric car alien look.
Fair play though, someone certainly isn't a badge snob if they'd shell out 30 big ones on one of those

Last edited:
Bit of a model 3 thing going on with the seal

1.jpg

At first I thought it was a DIY shop or something lol I looked them up online and their cars seem to have got that eletric car alien look.
Fair play though, someone certainly isn't a badge snob if they'd shell out 30 big ones on one of those
Build Your Dreams emblazoned on the back.
EBE1E399-054F-49F7-B2BF-7229A4528E8A.png

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 539 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel