MG4 Software Update Thread

Just back from being out and found:

Upon leaving... BT connected the car to phone, no issues
After leaving the restaurant, BT connected the car to phone, no issues
After leaving friends house, BT connected the car to phone, no issues
Arrived home, locked the car and tested one more, BT connected the car to phone, no issues

So far so good with R46 and my Pixel Pro 6 on Android 13

Each and every time my infotainment system starts up, i.e. on power up, it always defaults to the A/C page, which is an annoying "feature".

Yes I have this "feature" on my Australian Essence. Is it new? I'm 90% sure the test drive car didn't do it, but that was only a month or so before picking up my car so I can't think it changed that much.

Yes I have this "feature" on my Australian Essence. Is it new? I'm 90% sure the test drive car didn't do it, but that was only a month or so before picking up my car so I can't think it changed that much.
I've only had this "feature" since I had the R46 update. Prior to that, the AC page was only present when called for, but was the old style.

Hi all,

New poster here and there is lots of information to go through in this thread so apologies if this has been asked. I've been have the bluetooth issues with my phone and it's maddening. For the software updates can they be done over the air at home? Or do I have to book it in, I really hope not because I am lazy.

Cheers,
Adam

Hi all,

New poster here and there is lots of information to go through in this thread so apologies if this has been asked. I've been have the bluetooth issues with my phone and it's maddening. For the software updates can they be done over the air at home? Or do I have to book it in, I really hope not because I am lazy.

Cheers,
Adam
There are no OTA updates for the MG4 yet. Better call your dealer.

Just come back from having mine updated to R46. What a difference

1. Favourite radio stations are now stored with the radio station name in big font !
2. The left star button (Drive mode, 360 Cam etc) no longer pops up the AC when pressed .
3. No little pop up message when you enable / disable the AC using the right star button
4. Opening the AC with the right star button bring up a new style AC pop up. Which stays until you press the button again
5, BT remains connected to my phone
6. My heating seems to pump warm air at the temp it should (not sure if they updated anything else)

The whole layout seems more intuitive and easier to use, just how it should have been at the outset.

Yet to fully play around, i'll do that tomorrow, but this version is a massive positive leap forward in my view from R33.

It's been a drawn out battle with my car, but I now feel I have the car I intended to buy. Onwards with some subtle & sympathetic mods.
My experience exactly the same now with R46 only issue LKA still aggressive and ACC still a little laggy but can live with both!!

My experience exactly the same now with R46 only issue LKA still aggressive and ACC still a little laggy but can live with both!!
The LKA has nothing to do with the R46 update there are 2 different updates the one for R46 is through USB and is only infotainment and the LKA is through OBD for updating.

Just back from being out and found:

Upon leaving... BT connected the car to phone, no issues
After leaving the restaurant, BT connected the car to phone, no issues
After leaving friends house, BT connected the car to phone, no issues
Arrived home, locked the car and tested one more, BT connected the car to phone, no issues

So far so good with R46 and my Pixel Pro 6 on Android 13
Thanks for sharing your experience.
With the phone in your pocket; can you open the door ?

No - you have to open the app and physically select the digital key to unlock the car, and then again to start the car.
Technically you only need to unlock the car with the digital key and it will allow you to start the car within 20 seconds without having to press the start button again. If you do get out the car and then sit back again however, you will have to press the start button on the digital key.

Last edited:
That's not my experience ... when I've tested I've had to select the Start button on the DK page. But then again my SE SR isn't supposed to support the digital key anyway so mine might react differently. :)

That's not my experience ... when I've tested I've had to select the Start button on the DK page. But then again my SE SR isn't supposed to support the digital key anyway so mine might react differently. :)
Try again with the latest version of the app: unlock car, sit down and press the brake pedal. Car should come to life and READY

Last edited:
IMG_0759.jpeg

I stand corrected: it’s not 20 seconds it’s two minutes.

Try again with the latest version of the app: unlock car, sit down and press the brake pedal. Car should come to life and READY
Mine could have that then already as when I saw it at dealership the man was chuffed he gave me the key told me to sit in it and press the brake pedal and voila all came to life

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back