MG4 Software Update Thread

That's exactly how the SE works, and makes total sense to me as you can see what changes you are making. 🤷‍♂️
You can see what changes you are making in the Trophy too because when you hit one of the joystick buttons it flashes up to show you what you changed. I prefer this to the SE behaviour because I can keep my CarPlay up while staying in AC control mode.

As described a few times above, just press the joystick button again and it will revert back to home screen
It doesnt for me, for example:
At normal home screen (Fan off)
Press RH star
Mini AC menu pops up
Press joystick in to turn on AC in auto mode
In the background the full AC menu opens
Press the RH star and the mini AC menu closes
The full AC menu stays open instead of reverting to the home screen

You can see what changes you are making in the Trophy too because when you hit one of the joystick buttons it flashes up to show you what you changed. I prefer this to the SE behaviour because I can keep my CarPlay up while staying in AC control mode.
In the SE there’s a way to do that too will post details later

It just seems to add a lot of unnecessary button presses if I'm understanding the change correctly. Lets say I get in the car and want to increase the fan speed and temperature for a short time to get the car warm and the windscreen cleared and then adjust it back down a few minutes later.

Currently:
Press * to activate AC control on joystick
joystick up
joystick right

5 mins later

joystick left
joystick down

After update:
Press * to activate AC control on joystick
joystick up
joystick right
Press * to close popup

5mins later

Press * again to activate AC control on joystick
joystick left
joystick down
Press * to close popup

That's 60% more button presses, I'm struggling to see how it is an improvement.
I don’t think your 2 * presses in the middle are needed. I’ll make sure when I next use it.

It doesnt for me, for example:
At normal home screen (Fan off)
Press RH star
Mini AC menu pops up
Press joystick in to turn on AC in auto mode
In the background the full AC menu opens
Press the RH star and the mini AC menu closes
The full AC menu stays open instead of reverting to the home screen
Agreed. You have to press Home to get rid of the full AC screen.

As has been reported before, with R33 after you press the star button for AC the 4 button icon top middle in the home screen lights up (white to black) - not clearly - to show the 4 right buttons are controlling the AC. That's with the light screen, don't know about dark.

I have an Mg4 Trophy on R33. When I check for updates it says there's none available. Does anyone know if I will get more software updates or not? I know MG are really weird about talking about this.
The car does not have over the air updates, all updates have to be loaded with a laptop by your dealership.
Availability of updates depends on your location.
I know from multiple youtube videos that they have updates up to R46 in Australia and Germany, although in the UK it seems quite a bit more difficult.
Some people report getting new updates but it isn't mainstream.
Many new cars are still the phase 1 (no rear windscreen wiper), i only received mine a couple of weeks back and it's a phase 1.
Some cars ship and are phase 2 models, which should have a more up to date software version pre loaded.

Not sure if this has happend because of the upgrade to R46 or not, but my heated seats and heated steering wheel have stoped working. I'm sure it was working after the upgrade but now it's not. Very anoying to find out when making ready for a 1400km (870mile) week long road trip in chilly Norway. Any ideas on what might be wrong?

Thought about checking the fuse but not sure where it's located (inside or under the bonnet).

Resolved. Not conected with the software update. Seat and steering wheel heating stopped working. Resolved.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has happend because of the upgrade to R46 or not, but my heated seats and heated steering wheel have stoped working. I'm sure it was working after the upgrade but now it's not. Very anoying to find out when making ready for a 1400km (870mile) week long road trip in chilly Norway. Any ideas on what might be wrong?

Thought about checking the fuse but not sure where it's located (inside or under the bonnet).
Suggest fuse check (manual has details), reboot the car (12V battery disconnect/ reconnect), if still not working approach dealer.

Had R46 installed on my Trophy a few weeks ago, along with a load of other firmware updates.
It's not perfect, but it is a lot better than the older R33 I had before that. Bluetooth is now largely reliable and just reconnects as expected (which it hadn't done since I'd got the vehicle, so that was a nice change!), the car hasn't booted to a black screen yet, and it feels more coherent overall. The booting without audio unless you play the radio FIRST also seems less common than it was.
I'm not a a massive fan of the new 'simplified' climate control screen and that it doesnt dissapear until you forceably get rid of it, but overall it's a step forward.

LKA is slowly improving, but I still have TJA off, as I'm still not happy with how jerky it is on UK roads.

Main issue I have right now is that remote HVAC control via Ismart just fails constantly. You see the car's lights flash, so it has obviously recieved some communication, but the heating system does not initiate, and that is annoying, especially with winter coming. I'll likely have to get that looked at to see if there's an update when the car goes for its 1 year/15K mile service as I am not far off needing to book that.
Also wish there was a way to get the Phase 2's rear wiper fitted and just a way to boost the efficiency overall, as my prior Ioniq gen 2 kicked this in the nuts in terms of effective range for the given battery size/miles per kwh. (Once got 220miles out of it on a 38KwH battery....)

I think not putting a heatpump in the UK EV4 was a bad mistake, especially given how wet and cold the UK can be, and the impact the heater in this car has on range. A lot of the time when I don't need it I turn the heating off, as you can literally see it impacting the average range, but a considerable amount sometimes.

FWIW I ordeded mine just over a year ago, and actually recieved it early January. The car is definately in a better state now than when it first arrived, by a long shot, it does still feel unfinished though. Kinda wish I had the software/LKA from the old Hyundai, and the hardware of this.

Last edited:
When I put the heater on I always switch off the AC which it enables every time.

Dear MG, I don't want AC sapping my battery whenever I adjust a heater control thank you. Switch it on when I select demist, fair enough, otherwise leave it off until I switch it on!

Yes, one thing MG has not got the hang of is leaving settings as last used.
Hyundai resolved that issue and the legal obligations by having profiles. There were named driver profiles, and then a generic profile. This system worked well, and I would like MG to do something like that (plus the promised OTA updates) in the future.

The car is considerably less aggravating now however than it was back in March!

I'm not really sure what the query/comment is ... as far as I can tell the MG4 has climate control rather than simple heating/cooling. (The physical button far-left [on UK cars] turns climate control on/off). Are we saying we can heat/cool the car without AC?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back