MG4 Software Update Thread

I had my car in yesterday as the emergency braking has happened 6 times now, bus almost went in to the back of my the last time so booked it in. MG said they couldn't fault it, had it at the garage from 8:30 and didn't look at it until 15:00. I have a tracker fitted to mine and they took it out for a drive for all of 2 mins. Basically said if it persists then I'd have to take it back, not sure at what point they'll do something though, when a car actually rear ends me? They also said there was a recall for the software but they didn't tell me the details of that.

It looks like they've put me on R30 now though, I'm fairly certain I was on R33 before but cannot confirm, now my screen is less responsive but the LKA is certainly less prominent.

I had my car in yesterday as the emergency braking has happened 6 times now, bus almost went in to the back of my the last time so booked it in. MG said they couldn't fault it, had it at the garage from 8:30 and didn't look at it until 15:00. I have a tracker fitted to mine and they took it out for a drive for all of 2 mins. Basically said if it persists then I'd have to take it back, not sure at what point they'll do something though, when a car actually rear ends me? They also said there was a recall for the software but they didn't tell me the details of that.

It looks like they've put me on R30 now though, I'm fairly certain I was on R33 before but cannot confirm, now my screen is less responsive but the LKA is certainly less prominent.
Do you have a dashcam? If not then get one and hopefully you'll be able to capture it on camera and show them that there is no reason for the system to kick in.

Had my trophy updated to r46 yesterday, so, Bluetooth issues now solved, climate control is now a lot easier but admittedly not as pretty. LKA seems to behave itself a little better. However, now the speed limit sign recognition is now broken plus the left star button on the steering wheel won’t reprogram to anything apart from the “engine breaking” function. edit CarPlay was fixed as in the home button was on the rhs but that only worked once and now it’s back on the lhs

Last edited:
Had my trophy updated to r46 yesterday, so, Bluetooth issues now solved, climate control is now a lot easier but admittedly not as pretty. LKA seems to behave itself a little better. However, now the speed limit sign recognition is now broken plus the left star button on the steering wheel won’t reprogram to anything apart from the “engine breaking” function.
Very strange how same update sometimes gives different results.
I've had R46 on my Trophy for 2+ months and haven't seen either problem,, is yours also a MY23?(rear wiper, etc)
Can only suspect interaction with other modules or some hardware component differences are reason.

Very strange how same update sometimes gives different results.
I've had R46 on my Trophy for 2+ months and haven't seen either problem,, is yours also a MY23?(rear wiper, etc)
Can only suspect interaction with other modules or some hardware component differences are reason.
It’s a 23 but phase 1, didn’t want to wait and the dealer had an orange one in stock

Just about lost my rag with Bristol Street Motors Carlisle. Booked my car (phase 1 Trophy) in with three problems (bluetooth constant pairing requests, automatic headlight sensitivity, and cabin temperature calibration). Car delivered 9:15 not started until 3.30 and returned at 4.30 and told "everything fully tested and working". In reality absolutely NONE of my issues were addressed - still on R33 and bluetooth disconnected next day. Complained bitterly to Service manager, no apology just offer to book me in again for TWO days!! When I said that MG had released a software update that takes 20 mins to install he just sidestepped that and said they would need to fully investigate and liaise with MG etc, etc. so could not promise it could be done in ONE day! Oh, and also they have only one technician who could do this, and he's off all next week.

Clearly, they have no idea what they are doing and I would strongly recommend avoiding them for service. Now looking for any recommendation of a service department in Newcastle who know what they are doing and have installed R46 on other Trophy's.

Try Richard Hardie at Silverlink ... good things have previously been reported about them, but I can't recall if this was just sales or also included servicing/repairs.

Only observations so far is that AC on the star button calls up a new AC screen but the joystick does nothing. More later.
R46. My AC joystic works but not the same as it used to.
One can no longer toggle Auto on or off when pressing joystic down, pressing the joystic down now only activate Auto, normaly fan auto button but also auto air direction and auto fresh air or recykling air if not engaged.

Another change is that the right star button now have full autority over the pop up AC menue, meaning the pop up AC menue wil stay up until right star button is pressed again.

Another change is that the right star button now have full autority over the pop up AC menue, meaning the pop up AC menue wil stay up until right star button is pressed again.
Surely this must be another bug. Currently on mine you press the star button once and the AC popup will appear for a few seconds to show you the current settings, then disappear. You can then make changes by using the joystick without having to press the star button again. For example, you just push right to increase the fan speed and the popup will appear for a few seconds to show the change and then disappear again. It's really convenient.

It sounds like now you have to press the star button to make the popup appear before every change and then press it again to make it disappear. Is that correct?

I’ve moved the AC to the RH star button and it now works. Whether that’s because it needed more time to set itself up than I allowed at first or because the RH button is different remains to be discovered.
IMG_0376.jpeg

It comes on with one press over the Home Screen, the joystick now switches on the full AC screen in the background and allows temp and fan control as advertised. You have to press the star again to remove it and the full AC screen remains on. Seems logical enough.

I’ve moved the AC to the RH star button and it now works. Whether that’s because it needed more time to set itself up than I allowed at first or because the RH button is different remains to be discovered.
View attachment 20592
It comes on with one press over the Home Screen, the joystick now switches on the full AC screen in the background and allows temp and fan control as advertised. You have to press the star again to remove it and the full AC screen remains on. Seems logical enough.
I have just recieved my Trophy on R46, and have set the RH star for climate control. The problem I have is if the fans are off and I press the joystick in to enable auto mode the full AC screen then opens in the background. If I press the RH star the mini AC screen closes but the main AC screen stays on. is there a way to close the main AC screen from the steering wheel? Ideally I'd like it to auto close, it doesnt really need to open at all.

It sounds like now you have to press the star button to make the popup appear before every change and then press it again to make it disappear. Is that correct?
That's exactly how the SE works, and makes total sense to me as you can see what changes you are making. 🤷‍♂️

I have just recieved my Trophy on R46, and have set the RH star for climate control. The problem I have is if the fans are off and I press the joystick in to enable auto mode the full AC screen then opens in the background. If I press the RH star the mini AC screen closes but the main AC screen stays on. is there a way to close the main AC screen from the steering wheel? Ideally I'd like it to auto close, it doesnt really need to open at all.
As described a few times above, just press the joystick button again and it will revert back to home screen

That's exactly how the SE works, and makes total sense to me as you can see what changes you are making. 🤷‍♂️
It just seems to add a lot of unnecessary button presses if I'm understanding the change correctly. Lets say I get in the car and want to increase the fan speed and temperature for a short time to get the car warm and the windscreen cleared and then adjust it back down a few minutes later.

Currently:
Press * to activate AC control on joystick
joystick up
joystick right

5 mins later

joystick left
joystick down

After update:
joystick up
joystick right
Press * to close popup

5mins later

Press * again to activate AC control on joystick
joystick left
joystick down
Press * to close popup

That's 60% more button presses, I'm struggling to see how it is an improvement.

Just took delivery of my mg4 ev.
It's imported from Thailand. And the software is R07. Everyone is at R46. Should I be worried?
I can't bind my car to ismart.
Registered the ismart app. When add vehicle scan the qr code .just says unidentified. Frustrating. The login screen in the car doesn't have any options of either logging thru email or phone number but only username.how frustrating

Attachments

• 20231006_174024.jpg
    20231006_174024.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot_20231006-174000_MG iSMART.jpg
    Screenshot_20231006-174000_MG iSMART.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 95
  • 20231006_173810.jpg
    20231006_173810.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot_20231006-170001_MG iSMART.jpg
    Screenshot_20231006-170001_MG iSMART.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 100
It just seems to add a lot of unnecessary button presses if I'm understanding the change correctly. Lets say I get in the car and want to increase the fan speed and temperature for a short time to get the car warm and the windscreen cleared and then adjust it back down a few minutes later.

Currently:
joystick up
joystick right

5 mins later

joystick left
joystick down

After update:
joystick up
joystick right
Press * to close popup

5mins later

Press * again to activate AC control on joystick
joystick left
joystick down
Press * to close popup

That's 60% more button presses, I'm struggling to see how it is an improvement.

I have the old method (R33). But I'd prefer the new one: after you've been driving for a while you don't remember whether you turned off the AC star or not. Often, you press up, thinking you're turning up the volume on the radio, but instead you increase the temperature of the AC.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back