MG4 Software Update Thread

That's not my experience ... when I've tested I've had to select the Start button on the DK page. But then again my SE SR isn't supposed to support the digital key anyway so mine might react differently. :)
I just tested it again and I got it wrong.
In the latest version I have to press the START|STOP button even if I just unlocked the car.
This wasn't the case when I got my car in August. At least that's what I remembered it being when I used it.
My bad! Aplogies @siteguru

Nae bother ... I simply explained my findings, and given that it shouldn't even work in the SE then I wouldn't have been surprised if the Trophy (or Phase 2 cars) functioned differently. :)

Nice to hear that there's at least some commonality.

Those that have managed to be updated to R46, do you know how the update was performed. Was it done by the technician connecting the car to Chinese servers via the internet, or having previously downloaded the update merely used a usb stick to perform the update?

Those that have managed to be updated to R46, do you know how the update was performed. Was it done by the technician connecting the car to Chinese servers via the internet, or having previously downloaded the update merely used a usb stick to perform the update?
Through USB stick, no need to connect through OBD for the R update’s

I think the climate menu was always meant to stay up until you cancelled it. It has always been that way in the SE. I think it was a bug in the Trophy, which they have fixed, but in the mean time people had got used to the way it was!

I think this is different. The mini menu disappears on star button click, but the full A/c page stays open after pressing the auto shortcut on the mini menu.
I was finding the main AC screen popping up in background when using shortcut * on wheel a bit annoying - and random, so tried a few button combinations to work out exact functionality - the logic I think MG were using, and I now believe it actual works ok... (not great, but ok)

The full AC screen opens in background ONLY when AC system is initially switched on, to allow changing of any/all preferences, after page is closed, selecting * will only open and toggle on/off the submenu to adjust temp/fan speed, it doesn't bring up full AC page again unless system transitioned off/on again.
Also when first starting car the full AC screen pops up - but ONLY if the AC system was powered on when I last switched off car, presumably for same reason - to select personal settings.

My two actions now to reduce the faf is leaving fan/heat on at low background level and switching AC off before turning car off.
(note I'm using term AC to refer to full HVAC system realising it's only one part of it)

This is how the system works for me with MY23 Trophy running R46 software anyway, it may differ on other variants.

I was finding the main AC screen popping up in background when using shortcut * on wheel a bit annoying - and random, so tried a few button combinations to work out exact functionality - the logic I think MG were using, and I now believe it actual works ok... (not great, but ok)

The full AC screen opens in background ONLY when AC system is initially switched on, to allow changing of any/all preferences, after page is closed, selecting * will only open and toggle on/off the submenu to adjust temp/fan speed, it doesn't bring up full AC page again unless system transitioned off/on again.
Also when first starting car the full AC screen pops up - but ONLY if the AC system was powered on when I last switched off car, presumably for same reason - to select personal settings.

My two actions now to reduce the faf is leaving fan/heat on at low background level and switching AC off before turning car off.
(note I'm using term AC to refer to full HVAC system realising it's only one part of it)

This is how the system works for me with MY23 Trophy running R46 software anyway, it may differ on other variants.
Yeah I get your reasoning. It would be better if you could close the ‘full AC menu’ that opens in the background when you turn on the AC via the star button, with the steering wheel.

Wifey's 51kWh MG4 is still running R21 (and, of course, lacks ext. temperature display). We purchased the car two weeks ago, so I believe the dealer forgot to update the firmware during the car's preparation.

Before we send an email to request an update, does anybody know if R46 or R29 is compatible with our vehicle? We have a LHD Euro specs 'Standard' model (same trim level as SE, without satnav or rear camera).

There is an alleged R33 for the SE that restores the temperature readout. They will tear R13 from my cold dead hands until they can guarantee me the temperature display will be there.

There is an alleged R33 for the SE that restores the temperature readout. They will tear R13 from my cold dead hands until they can guarantee me the temperature display will be there.
I would nearly prefer to keep R13 to be honest. Not keen on the new HVAC settings screen and would much prefer the current one.

I can't see any actual improvements with these updates. I want a USB player that works, I want to be able to disable that infermal auto-locking, and I want my radio to stay off if I turned it off before getting out of the car. If an update has none of these things, what's even the point?

I have some news from my dealer for SE/Standard 51kWh owners.

They received R33 last week, the exterior temperature readout should be restored with this version.

I’ve scheduled a appointment for next Tuesday to get the car updated. @Rolfe I’ll let you know if I get the temperature display back with this update, so you don’t have to beta-test by yourself!

I have some news from my dealer for SE/Standard 51kWh owners.

They received R33 last week, the exterior temperature readout should be restored with this version.

I’ve scheduled a appointment for next Tuesday to get the car updated. @Rolfe I’ll let you know if I get the temperature display back with this update, so you don’t have to beta-test by yourself!
Never thought I would see the day, I'm on the same page with @Rolfe , if the external temp display is back then its time to visit the dealer for my first update, will also complain about the AEB and LKA if they can sort those out too.

Also I'm experiencing a weird power cut when battery is below 20-25% over speeds of ~120kmh, the accel. figure never passes 50 and I feel like Im in an old Fiat.

I've got my first service in 4 weeks, so I'm expecting any software updates to be applied - I'll check re. SE R33 also. :)
Had my first service yesterday; left on R13 despite saying that things had been delayed because of the software update.
Not impressed with either the lack of update or transparency.

Had my first service yesterday; left on R13 despite saying that things had been delayed because of the software update.
Not impressed with either the lack of update or transparency.
They may have been updating the car modules software which you cant view, not the screen software

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back