MG4 Software Update Thread

The workshop manager confirmed R33 was designed for Standard MG4s, whereas R46 was designed for Luxury versions. They even have procedures to get the firmware installed in the vehicles.

I assume SE and Trophy are merely commercial denominations for the same vehicles as Standard and Luxury, respectively.
R46 is the recent Luxury/Trophy version but R33 was also an earlier Luxury/Trophy one and I have never heard or read about any SE/standard version with R33.

I'm not doubting the workshop manager but I think he's wrong ;)!

@Scoozy and I both agree that R29 is the one that should probably be used on yours if you don't have a Luxury/Trophy version

R33 is the latest for the Se/standard variant

It just so happens that some are running r13, some r21, some r29
Which means it is possibly that one would be better off applying the updates in that order, in case something was missed out by whomever created the update package.
Nonetheless, from experience of updating software and firmware, it does help to ‘reset to factory defaults’ before one last attempt at the upgrade

@fnegroni MG4 SE SR gen1
That’s what they told me at the dealership, with the exception of R29. The mechanic told me this version wasn’t relevant for the Standard version of the MG4.

He probably tried to go straight from R21 to R33. When the update failed, he referred to a note that instructed to update another calculator first (which one, no idea). It didn’t work either…

I take what he said with a pinch of salt.

Does anybody have a picture displaying MPU and MCU version releases of firmware R29, running on a standard MG4?

R46 is the recent Luxury/Trophy version but R33 was also an earlier Luxury/Trophy one and I have never heard or read about any SE/standard version with R33.

I'm not doubting the workshop manager but I think he's wrong ;)!

@Scoozy and I both agree that R29 is the one that should probably be used on yours if you don't have a Luxury/Trophy version
I have a Luxury version and there is already the R46 installed, yesterday I had an update for the middle light sensor cause it changed to much between day/night screen so will look now if there is a different after the update in the common days.

What version are new Xpower and new Trophy Extended Range (77kw battery) owners getting from new ? Mine seems to be R40 or am I looking at the wrong place ?

Attachments

• IMG_2275.JPG
    IMG_2275.JPG
    544.2 KB · Views: 167
What version are new Xpower and new Trophy Extended Range (77kw battery) owners getting from new ? Mine seems to be R40 or am I looking at the wrong place ?
If it works fine on the R40 they wont upgrade tot higher numbers, only if there are issues like i had and it was on the dealer his own risk to put the R46 on my Luxury cause MG stated to stay at the R33. But everything worked fine so for the moment no problems anymore.

I have a Luxury version and there is already the R46 installed, yesterday I had an update for the middle light sensor cause it changed to much between day/night screen so will look now if there is a different after the update in the common days.
If you notice a difference for the better, it might be worth opening a separate thread so that it can be highlighted for other owners too. Some of us modified the original sensor cover or removed it altogether to sort out the day/night threshold

If you notice a difference for the better, it might be worth opening a separate thread so that it can be highlighted for other owners too. Some of us modified the original sensor cover or removed it altogether to sort out the day/night threshold
A few weeks ago I had a module update for "lights and that" - not the reason the car was in - since that time the day/night threshold seems very reasonable. No change to the infotainment though - still on R33 for Mk1 Trophy UK.

The workshop manager confirmed R33 was designed for Standard MG4s, whereas R46 was designed for Luxury versions. They even have procedures to get the firmware installed in the vehicles.

I assume SE and Trophy are merely commercial denominations for the same vehicles as Standard and Luxury, respectively.
As both @Scoozy and @Tight Git state, R33 was earlier version on Trophy, it was on mine when I got it , but upgraded to R46 to address Bluetooth issues etc, and it resolved them.
I'm not doubting @fnegroni MG4 SE SR gen1 but it would seem very confusing for MG to overlap/reuse numbers between the SE and Trophy when you consider there are different options built-in to each infotainment system.
I also can only recall R29 being mentioned as latest SE version available on this thread.
The fact that your workshop guy has tried - and failed, to update 3 cars suggests he may be misinformed about correct updates

@Emgie 4
I really don’t know what to think. At the dealership, they should know how to update their cars, so when they say that my car is eligible to be updated to R33, I should trust them…

But on the other side, several people here tell me that R33 is not designed for SE/Standard MG4 and that the last version to date is R29 (which my dealer denied)…and I can’t dismiss this either! (As well as the fact that the update failed).

I am going to try to find out what’s going on. I can’t settle with the dealer’s answer, there’s no magic:
  • There may be a bug with the firmware ROM
  • Some other calculators may not be correctly updated
  • The ROM may not be designed for my vehicle
  • There may be a problem sitting between the steering wheel and the seat and holding the USB stick during the update.

I’m going to call another dealership to try to get some more information.

Last edited:
As I think someone already said, there seems to be an R33 for the SE which is a different animal from the R33 for the Trophy. I saw a post which gave the full numbers of the updates rather than just the last three digits and they were different.
If this is true it really will start to get confusing, can't see any logic for MG not keeping completely separate numbering systems to different models, then again they do have some previous history of strange software decisions - hence the need for threads like this 🤨

The SE versions are of the form ...1100Rnn, and the Trophy ...1300Rnn

So just calling them Rnn is going to be confusing.

And yes, there are multiple reports of SE/Comfort/Standard version 1100R33 in the wild.

It would be worth knowing if this dealer was definitely using the 1100R33 version of the firmware file.

without searching through 105 pages. does anyone know what was fixed/changed/broken between R30 and R33? My trophy has been in today for some other updates but my infotainment remains on R30

@dave99
I really don’t understand MG’s policy when it comes to updates.

They market their cars as capable of receiving OTA updates but that’s actually not the case (or at least not for the moment), they don’t even take the time to upgrade cars during service, and in certain instances, (in my case) they don’t even manage to upgrade the car at all.

Software upgrades should be a routine part of a car's maintenance, newer versions bring significant improvements…

MG4s are truly impressive cars. They offer an exciting driving experience, they are well-built, and appear to be reliable. Their only flaw is their crappy infotainment system. It’s frustrating because it could be improved with software updates, which we are still waiting for.

In MG's defence, they are market disruptors.
I am willing to cut them some slack because they have obviously tried to compete with the big boys without worrying investors.

If your car is a lemon, by all means reject it.
If it doesn't work as expected, pester the dealer.

I am pretty certain MG knew that they would have encountered these issues and decided to go ahead nonetheless.

OTA: on my Kia this was added two years after the car was introduced to the market, despite being technically possible from day 1.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back