MG4 Software Update Thread

yeah but they wont put R46 on unless you have a specific problem it fixes, as far as I've seen, not sure if thats the same with R33 too?
My Trophy got updated to R33 at its first service last week. I asked about R46 and the dealer said they'd only done that on a Y22 car once when MG asked them to to solve a particular problem. Otherwise they just go to R33. That may or not be correct, but I'm not that bothered as long as everything works OK.

Can confirm there is an R33 version for the SE. Had my SE LR updated today due to losing the outside temp display and issues with the air con temperature. Temp display is back (yay!) And another bonus is I can now change the drive or regen mode using the left star button which was previously not possible on the SE
20231103_121909.jpg

I'll maybe be having some of that. But really, if it doesn't fix the USB player or that infernal central locking issue, I'm not sure it's worth the bother. At least it seems as if this may be an update that doesn't actively make things worse though.

I'll maybe be having some of that. But really, if it doesn't fix the USB player or that infernal central locking issue, I'm not sure it's worth the bother. At least it seems as if this may be an update that doesn't actively make things worse though.
is the central locking issue the one where you get locked in and have to climb out through the boot, or another issue? (The lock-in is fixed in a recall update which I only just got around to getting installed yesterday)

No. It's the one where all the door locks clunk locked as you reach 10 mph, which I am assured is not a safety issue, but my nerves do not believe this and scream that we're locked in this car, every time. Trophy owners can disable this, and indeed I can't find a car where you can't. I think it's another bug, like the non-functional USB player. But not enough people are complaining about these issues.

No. It's the one where all the door locks clunk locked as you reach 10 mph, which I am assured is not a safety issue, but my nerves do not believe this and scream that we're locked in this car, every time. Trophy owners can disable this, and indeed I can't find a car where you can't. I think it's another bug, like the non-functional USB player. But not enough people are complaining about these issues.
I doubt many people would bother complaining about that. I can't remember the last time I got in somebodies car that didn't lock once you started moving.

It shouldn't be deadlocked though (which would be a concern), it should just be unable to be opened from the outside. Once it's locked, pull on the inner door handle (either once or twice) and the door should still open. In which case there's no real need to be nervous about anything, surely?

This has reminded me of a guy at work who refused to have electric windows in a car in case he somehow ended up in a river and couldn't escape the car through them. He also refused to stay about a certain floor in hotels based on the reach of an average fire engine ladder. He was a strange character.

Can confirm there is an R33 version for the SE. Had my SE LR updated today due to losing the outside temp display and issues with the air con temperature. Temp display is back (yay!) And another bonus is I can now change the drive or regen mode using the left star button which was previously not possible on the SEView attachment 21324
Did it actually fix the air con temperature issue?

Did it actually fix the air con temperature issue?
Haven't really driven far since the update to test it to be honest...I knocked the temp down to 22 on the screen and it didn't blast cold air like it did before....however the real test will be on a longer run.

I did notice however that the auto lights seemed better and didn't come on when going under trees etc like before so perhaps they've tweaked them as part of the update as well....

Is being unable to open a child locked door from the outside if the boot is open a feature or a bug that can be fixed with an update? That one is properly dangerous given an accident could easily crack open the boot.

Is being unable to open a child locked door from the outside if the boot is open a feature or a bug that can be fixed with an update? That one is properly dangerous given an accident could easily crack open the boot.
I’m not saying the MG4 does this correctly (given the bugs), but standard practice is that any locked car doors automatically unlock in the event that the car detects an accident.

What is the latest software release form SESR cars. From memory and searching I think it’s R19
My 51kWh standard range is R19 and my dealer said it is the latest version a few weeks ago, yet the above quote is a year old. However, I haven't had any serious problems with the software (apart from stupid lane assistance) so if it works, don't fix it. I don't even need the outdoor temperature.

Haven't really driven far since the update to test it to be honest...I knocked the temp down to 22 on the screen and it didn't blast cold air like it did before....however the real test will be on a longer run.

I did notice however that the auto lights seemed better and didn't come on when going under trees etc like before so perhaps they've tweaked them as part of the update as well....
Will be really interested to hear the progress on this as you drive it more. Also, does it change anything in the app (doubt it will, but best to ask), as in does the digital key still work etc?

What update is this?
Can confirm there is an R33 version for the SE. Had my SE LR updated today due to losing the outside temp display and issues with the air con temperature. Temp display is back (yay!) And another bonus is I can now change the drive or regen mode using the left star button which was previously not possible on the SEView attachment 21324

Will be really interested to hear the progress on this as you drive it more. Also, does it change anything in the app (doubt it will, but best to ask), as in does the digital key still work etc?
Doesn't appear to have changed anything on the app....and I can still unlock/lock the car etc from it with no issues

Couple of other observations from a quick trip, the radio is no longer on automatically when you sit in the seat, you have to 'un pause' it.

Also, is this new on the rear parking sensors, don't recall seeing the distance before?View attachment 21332
Distance is definitely new, and that’s very handy too!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back