MG4 Software Update Thread

Visited my dealer in The Netherlands this morning for an issue with the chargingdoor and asked them to also check for any updates. Unfortunately i was told no update was available for my VIN. I'm on 1100R21 currently.

1706526456365.jpeg

Hi
Just had our MG4 Trophy in for its first service - while we really like the car, some things (the murderous LKA for example) are irritating.

The dealer said they would apply a couple of updates to the software as part of the service, and we were hoping this would sort out some or all of the niggles.

So far nothing seems changed.

Anyone know if the software we have is actually up to date as I'm a little suspicious of them having done anything as they already "forgot" to sort an oil leak issue and had to be reminded.

Many thanks for any insight.

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 12.19.57.png

My plan is to resurrect the list of niggles I gave them a couple of months after I got the car, and point out that about three quarters of them seem to be fixed by R33. Also to yell a bit more about the inability to pre-heat while plugged in but not charging, which is apparently a different non-infotainment update.

1300R30 is quite old ... the latest for the Trophy is 1300R46. Even 1300R33 had been around for quite some time, which was superseded by 1300R40. (Anecdotally, 1300R46 has been installed when people have complained about Bluetooth pairing issues).

1300R30 is quite old ... the latest for the Trophy is 1300R46. Even 1300R33 had been around for quite some time, which was superseded by 1300R40. (Anecdotally, 1300R46 has been installed when people have complained about Bluetooth pairing issues).
Meanwhile, mine has always been on R24, even after its first service earlier this month.
"No issues calling for it" said the dealer. They never asked if I had any issues with the car before starting.

Last edited:
Yes, Bluetooth problems is best way to get R46. My dealer even asked me if I'd had any problems with bluetooth and I said no (because I don't use it, so that's true, but also because I didn't want the update as it breaks the left hand star button for some).

Okay, i hope so! Did you get notified of this (and do it yourself possibly) or did your dealer just update it during maintenance?
No, I had to bring the car to the dealer and I told him I knew about R33. I also mentioned that I was experiencing bugs (specifically the exterior temperature display not working).

It seems that most dealers are reluctant to perform updates, as it is time consuming.

By the way, they didn’t charge me for the update.

No, I had to bring the car to the dealer and I told him I knew about R33. I also mentioned that I was experiencing bugs (specifically the exterior temperature display not working).

It seems that most dealers are reluctant to perform updates, as it is time consuming.

By the way, they didn’t charge me for the update.
That is interesting. I had my SE SR serviced a week ago and the dealer said that they had carried out the updates required by MG. Note this is the first time it has been back to the dealer.
When I got back home, I checked the display and it was still at R13.
I understand this may just be the display but I don't know what standard the car software is at.

had my SE SR serviced a week ago and the dealer said that they had carried out the updates required by MG. Note this is the first time it has been back to the dealer.
When I got back home, I checked the display and it was still at R13.
MG not only can't do over the air updates (they advertised that they could/would), many dealers really would prefer not to do updates at all, if they can possibly get away with it.

This is one area where Tesla really shines. They really are a technology company, so different to a traditional car manufacturer.

I think your dealer told you fibs!

If the infotainment display says 1100R13, it hasn’t been updated. Period
I’ll take a picture of my screen updated to R33 tonight so you’ll be able to check the revision numbers.
Thanks - as for fibbing, yup that lot do it a lot. Certainly wont be with them in the future.

"Love the car, hate the dealership" - as with several of my cars in the past 5 - 10 years!

Hi everybody.

My first post here, so take this one as my presentation. :)

We currently own a MG4 Luxury with 64kWh battery pack (Trophy in UK) and also a Tesla Model 3 Performance.

Regarding MG4, in general we are very satisfied with the car since it has a very decent driving dynamics and a decent finishes for its price. But software... it's not a brilliant point. Screen is laggy, many driving "aids" are a road to the hell and in particular not saving preferences is a nightmare. I can understand that driving "demons" are enabled each time, but I cannot save ECO, SPORT or one pedal drive settings preferences. This is very annoying.

My current software revision is R46, so it's quite decent. Some bugs but in general not a big problem. Hoping a new upgrade will fix pending issues and in particular saving profile settings.

By the way, hearing each morning the car saying in Spanish "2024 January 29th, please pay attention and drive safely" is hilarious (in English with Spanish accent)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back