MG4 Software Update Thread

No, I get exactly what I said ... Sent successfully blah blah, but no SMS with PIN is ever received. :)
As I have mentioned elsewhere, app version 1.1.10 now let me register my mobile number and the PIN arrived quickly. I think with 1.1.10 they also changed where their servers are located, so that may have been the original issue with not getting the SMS with the PIN. :)

As I have mentioned elsewhere, app version 1.1.10 now let me register my mobile number and the PIN arrived quickly. I think with 1.1.10 they also changed where their servers are located, so that may have been the original issue with not getting the SMS with the PIN. :)
Thanks. My mobile number now worked too, for the first time, and received the verification code ok.

Cheers, worked first time glad they sorted it.

That is so annoying. So your Trophy is different to every other Trophy? With any other car maker you would complain to corporate but we know this is a total waste of time with MG. Is there another dealer who will do it for you?
It is. I had the same issue. They just said there’s no update. Being the only one that appears to have R26, I must have a super special car… 🙄

Or more likely they have no clue how to update anything other that the firmware on the driving related systems. So good luck to all of us getting any infotainment updates.

So when I had a test drive of an MG4 SE there was a feature where if you passed a bike or another vehicle it showed a grey block on the screen as you passed it. On our MG4 Trophy we picked up last week this does not show. Was there a software update that removed this

So when I had a test drive of an MG4 SE there was a feature where if you passed a bike or another vehicle it showed a grey block on the screen as you passed it. On our MG4 Trophy we picked up last week this does not show. Was there a software update that removed this
My ACC was nearly unusable when I got my Trophy in October. Too sensitive, braking aggressively for oncoming cars on the other side of road. I had an update which made it much better, reduced the sensitivity. I imagine this is the difference, different software.

It is. I had the same issue. They just said there’s no update. Being the only one that appears to have R26, I must have a super special car… 🙄

Or more likely they have no clue how to update anything other that the firmware on the driving related systems. So good luck to all of us getting any infotainment updates.
More dealer “alternative facts” - there is another word for it beginning with L and ending in e

They have tried to copy Tesla with some of this stuff. My M3 shows the bins at the side of the road when driving along on bin day - how‘s that for cutting edge innovation then? Completely useless… instead of graphics we will have actual sharp images very soon.

Last edited:
Mine still shows this (to left and right of the driver lane), and it generally recognises the object type. (Truck, van, car, bike, pedestrian).
As does my Car. Is there something you need to have active in the settings like ACC??

As does my Car. Is there something you need to have active in the settings like ACC??
I can't say with 100% confidence, but I'm sure I saw the vehicles in other lanes on my display this morning, and I didn't use ACC. (It was selected in the Infotainment screen ... Off, ACC, TJA, so ACC selected) but it wasn't active and there was no set speed.

I have noticed when using ACC that pressing the brake pedal (which deactivates it anyway) makes the vehicles disappear from other lanes, but releasing the brake pedal makes them come back.

I can't say with 100% confidence, but I'm sure I saw the vehicles in other lanes on my display this morning, and I didn't use ACC. (It was selected in the Infotainment screen ... Off, ACC, TJA, so ACC selected) but it wasn't active and there was no set speed.

I have noticed when using ACC that pressing the brake pedal (which deactivates it anyway) makes the vehicles disappear from other lanes, but releasing the brake pedal makes them come back.
Yes, thats what I meant. Think you have to make sure the ACC is selected on screen toggle, dont have to have it actually on cruise control via the steering wheel.

Actually, I think it's pressing the accelerator (i.e. temporarily disengaging ACC although it is still active and set) that makes the other vehicles disappear. I suspect that's the car's way of telling you that ACC won't control the speed while you're doing that.

My dealer says there are no current software upgrades for the Trophy? I have read on some threads people have gad an up date? Can anyone help. My dealer said the car will be recalled once software is available.

When did you collect you car? Updates are made to various modules on a fairly regular basis.Some updates make minor tweaks, others address more significant issues. The most significant update appears to be the one that fixes an issue which prevented occupants from opening doors and exiting the vehicle. Think that was issued around 13th December.

Dealers aren't generally proactive but it isn't worth taking the car back every time there is an update. It is a good idea to ask your dealer to apply updates when car is in for service or any other attention. If you have not had an update since 13th December then I would be pushing to get them done though.

When did you collect you car? Updates are made to various modules on a fairly regular basis.Some updates make minor tweaks, others address more significant issues. The most significant update appears to be the one that fixes an issue which prevented occupants from opening doors and exiting the vehicle. Think that was issued around 13th December.

Dealers aren't generally proactive but it isn't worth taking the car back every time there is an update. It is a good idea to ask your dealer to apply updates when car is in for service or any other attention. If you have not had an update since 13th December then I would be pushing to get them done though.
Hi WalkingBootWeather,
In doubt with Trophy edition OTA updates. ¿Only for infotainment module? Searching for information, it seems that OTA in Trophy is for everything, but reading this thread makes me doubts.

Hi WalkingBootWeather,
In doubt with Trophy edition OTA updates. ¿Only for infotainment module? Searching for information, it seems that OTA in Trophy is for everything, but reading this thread makes me doubts.
As I say, the car relies upon numerous modules that are updated independently. To apply many of these it is necessary to connect the car to MG servers which I believe are located in China. There is a danger that one of these updates might fail and 'brick' the car (rendering it inoperable). For these reasons it is necessary for the dealer to apply updates.

The mooted OTA updates apply to infotainment only and you would still be able to drive the vehicle if this failed. To my knowledge MG have not rolled out any OTA updates to date.

Tesla to my knowledge is the only mainstream EV manufacturer that habitually applies updates OTA

Regarding OTA updates, whilst the theory is excellent and convenient if the system works, I second what @WalkingBootWeather says above. My car went in last Thursday for updates and I only got it back yesterday as the update caused a problem with the parking brake system that then needed to be resolved. I have also previously had my car bricked with other updates. Your dealer will not be contacting you every time there is an update (unless critical safety issue eg locking recall just announced), this is something that will need to be checked when you take the car in.

Just spoke to service manager re Lane Keep Assist. My car was updated on Friday and the release notes with the LKA update state that after the update (which apparently reduces sensitivity) the LKA will be switched on after every ignition cycle. Mine previously stayed off, I wish I’d known as I would have declined the update. With the supposed ”improvements” in the sensitivity it is still dreadful and I want it off and staying off. They are finding out if this can be rolled back.

They are finding out if this can be rolled back.
Even if it's possible they may not be allowed to do it.

I don't know about the UK, but EU legislation demands it to be "on" by default since 2022. So it is illegal to set it to default "off" - at least in the EU. I spoke to a dealer about this (other vehicle, Skoda). It can be done, but not officially, you will have to find "a guy".

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back