MG4 Software Update Thread

Have you had a chance to play about with it yet, are the issues reported with R46 present on R40
Seems to be ok, although I have not had time to play about fully with it. Had some fun when I asked them to bind car to App (already have ZS bound and should be able to add car). I think everyone in the dealership had a go and failed... They have contacted MG with the details... I just smiled. Maybe Gary Smart can advise that its a feature.

I agree, although MG are not alone in struggling with this (e.g. VW).
Beggars belief, I guess they are following a money saving agile approach with the consumer base as the testers rather than following a robust release management process internally. That results in 99 bugs, fix one.... end up with 127... rinse and repeat.

I now have R46 on my first edition Trophy.
I have the new style a/c control layout which I prefer

R46 has NOT cured my issues:
POIs still in Chinese
Cannot load Travel Plans
Cannot remove ‘message waiting’ icon
Car autonomously changes charging target from 80% to 100% (Probably not related to R46)

R46 has caused additional problems:
Infotainment screen sometimes fails to load up when starting car (need to press Home button to initiate it)
Apple CarPlay menu flits from left to right side of screen on a whim
Text on the screen is now tiny to the point of being almost invisible
Did it fix the bluetooth pairing and map freezing issues?

It would genuinely annoy the life out of me and give me concerns going forward that a year in and the still can't get a stable software platform for everyone.
It shouldn't be that difficult to get a stable easy to use software system, without all the glitches.
Agreed. What bothers me is the way that people are reporting problems that my earlier software (R29) doesn't have - it feels as if it's one step forward, two back at times. My software is quite stable. The only problems I have are a warning light for the non functioning driver awareness camera that my early car has and the badly calibrated auto-lights. Everything else works fine and I can even keep LKA turned off all the time. I'm seriously thinking of asking for no software updates when service time comes around.

I agree, although MG are not alone in struggling with this (e.g. VW).
I do believe from reading the ID forums that VW might have cracked their software issue now, there is mention of a version that seems to be the holy grail.
The one thing with VW though was they didn't release a new version every other month or so, they seem to have acknowledged the issue and worked on this one in the background.

I know I sound like a broken record but why not just get your software from an expert like Google, if it's good enough for Geely (Volvo, Polestar) and Renault, then why not.The only thing has to be cost and SAIC.

I received my first OTA update last week, it was for the electric motor and worked perfectly and has had no noticeable negative impact on the car

Yes, VW have got a lot better by all accounts, but it took longer than a year.

The software on Renaults is attractive and they are (finally) starting to make cars that I desire again (e.g. new 5), so things are looking good. I grew up with Renaults so they were my go to make but they did lose their way with anonymous boring offerings for a long time (in my opinion).

For me, as I've said the MG software issues don't bother me too much but that's partly due to my use case / luck.

Yes, VW have got a lot better by all accounts, but it took longer than a year.
Indeed, it seems to be even good now. But it took them almost two years to get there. Two years, when drivers could not demist the windscreen and drive off, because it took the system several minutes to power up.

On the other hand my MG4 got better with every update. The phone pairing issue went away. The LKA issue went away. It's interesting that some cars still can't seem to be cured. Why is that? I wonder if some dealerships are working properly.

And finally it's good to see that Phase 1 cars are also getting all the current updates. Everything else would have been madness.

Indeed, it seems to be even good now. But it took them almost two years to get there. Two years, when drivers could not demist the windscreen and drive off, because it took the system several minutes to power up.

On the other hand my MG4 got better with every update. The phone pairing issue went away. The LKA issue went away. It's interesting that some cars still can't seem to be cured. Why is that? I wonder if some dealerships are working properly.

And finally it's good to see that Phase 1 cars are also getting all the current updates. Everything else would have been madness.
I really find it strange that if there are cars out there that are running stable systems and everything is working as it should then why can't MG role this out to everybody, seems a no brainer!

I don't think phase 1 were just getting abandoned, even for MG that would have been stupid, remains to be seen though if phase 1 will get full updates though (OPD etc)

I really find it strange that if there are cars out there that are running stable systems and everything is working as it should then why can't MG role this out to everybody, seems a no brainer!
Possibilities are:
  • Challenges getting dealers to apply all the right updates / get them installed
  • Unstable/unpredictable software platform
  • Much greater variety of underlying hardware modules than is generally known

Possibilities are:
  • Challenges getting dealers to apply all the right updates / get them installed
  • Unstable/unpredictable software platform
  • Much greater variety of underlying hardware modules than is generally known
Should all be able to be controlled by MG UK/China it's in their best interests, the software issues are the constant complaints with this car, you only have to look through the pages of threads in here, the vast majority of the ones currently are pretty much repeats of all the ones over the last year.

If their system is that complicated that things have to be applied in a specific order by dealers, again should be simpler, then MG should be undertaking a training regime to all their service departments.

At the moment you play service department roulette hoping to land on one with A, good knowledge and B, willingness to help and cares about the customers.

Finding both those things and you've hit the jackpot but unfortunately they are the exception rather than the norm. MG seem solely focused on getting cars out the door rather than developing the brand and customer satisfaction.

There are far too many people in here (probably a good representation of owners across the spectrum) who are putting up with quirks, niggles, glitches whatever they want to call them, at the end of the day they are faults plain and simple. Just because the car was a relative bargain and drives well! Both of which are true.

What you have paid for should work, it shouldn't be a work around.

Should all be able to be controlled by MG UK/China it's in their best interests, the software issues are the constant complaints with this car, you only have to look through the pages of threads in here, the vast majority of the ones currently are pretty much repeats of all the ones over the last year.
The oil leakers, speed limited and undertray wobblers might disagree.
If their system is that complicated that things have to be applied in a specific order by dealers, again should be simpler, then MG should be undertaking a training regime to all their service departments.
I agree, they ideally need an automated update system that works (even if it is dealer only) and it would make sense to use an existing platform - but they chose differently.
At the moment you play service department roulette hoping to land on one with A, good knowledge and B, willingness to help and cares about the customers.
Yes.
Finding both those things and you've hit the jackpot but unfortunately they are the exception rather than the norm. MG seem solely focused on getting cars out the door rather than developing the brand and customer satisfaction.
This is indeed how it appears.
There are far too many people in here (probably a good representation of owners across the spectrum) who are putting up with quirks, niggles, glitches whatever they want to call them, at the end of the day they are faults plain and simple. Just because the car was a relative bargain and drives well! Both of which are true.
There are owners putting up with niggles AND there are owners who are not bothered by the niggles - we need to acknowledge both types exist, though I don't know in what proportions.
What you have paid for should work, it shouldn't be a work around.
I agree. However, saying so does not appear to change the situation. If MG are listening, they are doing it in a very quiet and non-obvious way.

There are owners putting up with niggles AND there are owners who are not bothered by the niggles - we need to acknowledge both types exist, though I don't know in what proportions.
Not being bothered by niggles doesn't make it any less of a fault, it should work as it's intended!

Oil leak was eventually fixed, remains to be seen how exactly and any long term issues, locking in had a quick fix.
Undertray as we have established is a cooling scoop to direct air over the motor 😉

The big one is the restricted speed they seem no closer to fixing that, fortunately it doesn't seem that wide spread, although more could be out there.

They should have held off on the phase 2 release till they had got phase 1 100%. If it turns out phase 2 are niggle free then it does look like phase 1 cars have been abandoned a bit

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 534 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back