MG4 Software Update Thread

There is a new software update R46 (iPhone Pairing) - I’m having that sorted next Wednesday and will report back !!
I got the R46 update last week and glad to report no more phone pairing issues (was having to re-pair every time I got into car) it also fixed connectivity problem ( iSmart app wasn't connecting to car, also sat nav and weather weren't updating)
Additional changes I've noticed; you get an updated AC page - plain but functional, and extra options for shortcut buttons, plus a slight tweak to battery management page
An update for the main entertainment system of which cars exactly? First or second phase, and which trim level?
R46 is for Phase 2 Trophy model

I got the R46 update last week and glad to report no more phone pairing issues (was having to re-pair every time I got into car) it also fixed connectivity problem ( iSmart app wasn't connecting to car, also sat nav and weather weren't updating)
Additional changes I've noticed; you get an updated AC page - plain but functional, and extra options for shortcut buttons, plus a slight tweak to battery management page

R46 is for Phase 2 Trophy model

What are the extra shortcut options? LKA disable??

What are the extra shortcut options? LKA disable??
There are 4 options to select for L/R favourites buttons;
Energy recovery
Drive modes
AC
360 camera
Same 4 choices for both left and right,, I think previously right button was only AC or SRC
Unfortunately No, LKA is not an option, tho I'd agree it. should be, most people I know find it annoying and tend to switch it off most of the time (regardless of brand of car)
As example from personal experience I do find the MG4 LKA more aggressive than my better halfs Kia eniro, the Kia gently resists lanes changes when not indicating (predictive) that you have to overcome, while the MG4 tends to kick you back as you change (reactive) sometimes quite aggressively,
Incidentally I find the ACC also tends to react slower but sharper rather than the Kias more subtle speed reduction

I now have R46 on my first edition Trophy.
I have the new style a/c control layout which I prefer

R46 has NOT cured my issues:
POIs still in Chinese
Cannot load Travel Plans
Cannot remove ‘message waiting’ icon
Car autonomously changes charging target from 80% to 100% (Probably not related to R46)

R46 has caused additional problems:
Infotainment screen sometimes fails to load up when starting car (need to press Home button to initiate it)
Apple CarPlay menu flits from left to right side of screen on a whim
Text on the screen is now tiny to the point of being almost invisible

Based on this, I don't want that update. Will see what is about at first service and might ask that they don't do any optional updates. Everything works well enough for me at the moment.
I'm with you on that. I'm still on R24 but as I don't use AA or Bluetooth that much I'm not in a rush to get it updated as everything works for me plus by the time mine goes in for a service in 7 months time hopefully they will have sorted out more of the glitches.

POIs still in Chinese
Cannot load Travel Plans
Car autonomously changes charging target from 80% to 100% (Probably not related to R46)

Infotainment screen sometimes fails to load up when starting car (need to press Home button to initiate it)
I do find it incredible that a year in they can't find an infotainment software version that is 100% stable and fixes the long standing bugs!

There have been so many versions in the last year, they need to work on one, fix everything and then just leave it, all this chopping and changing must confuse the life out of service departments

I do find it incredible that a year in they can't find an infotainment software version that is 100% stable and fixes the long standing bugs!

There have been so many versions in the last year, they need to work on one, fix everything and then just leave it, all this chopping and changing must confuse the life out of service departments
I agree. I feel a year is long enough for an up and coming car maker with a new EV platform and tech to get on top of the bugs.

If they are not going to, I will not be buying another one.

POIs still in Chinese
Cannot load Travel Plans

Sorry to hear this hasn’t fixed your issues, and has it seems created a raft of new ones!

The positive I’m taking from your post is that they applied this update to a phase 1 car.

Did I read previously that R46 was the newest update for phase 1 cars and R40 was what the phase 2 cars come with?

Sorry to hear this hasn’t fixed your issues, and has it seems created a raft of new ones!

The positive I’m taking from your post is that they applied this update to a phase 1 car.
Yes, that is good news, assuming that a future update actually fixes bugs without creating lots of new ones!

That seems right, got my phase 2 car yesterday with R40 installed
Have you had a chance to play about with it yet, are the issues reported with R46 present on R40

Did I read previously that R46 was the newest update for phase 1 cars and R40 was what the phase 2 cars come with?
R46 is (as far as info in this forum goes) the newest update to phase 1 and 2 LR cars. Phase 2 is reported shipped with R33 and R40 (and I guess R46 from now).

To be honnest I do not care if the R46 is flawed as long as it's also for the phase 1 cars, because owners of the phase 1 cars are not abonded like we feared. We are stil along for the ride to better software. Hurra.😊

Better if the bugs are fixed and new ones not introduced. I agree this is good but the inability to fix things without breaking things is starting to worry me.
It seems that MG's software people are suffering from this
HTisMpC.jpeg

It would genuinely annoy the life out of me and give me concerns going forward that a year in and the still can't get a stable software platform for everyone.
It shouldn't be that difficult to get a stable easy to use software system, without all the glitches.

It would genuinely annoy the life out of me and give me concerns going forward that a year in and the still can't get a stable software platform for everyone.
It shouldn't be that difficult to get a stable easy to use software system, without all the glitches.
I agree, although MG are not alone in struggling with this (e.g. VW).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 534 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back