MG4 Software Update Thread

Quite. And it's a bit concerning that he (a) thinks that the SE's temperature readout was ever reporting random figures and (b) thinks that any reasonable car manufacturer would choose to disable the external temperature reading on a car built in 2023 and costing north of £27,000.
We don't know what he thinks yet and if he has shared this it will most likely be what he has been told by MG, whether or not he thinks it is reasonable or a good idea. He is a useful source of information on what MG are saying, even when we don't like or don't agree with it.

He may be a useful source of information a lot of the time, but if he told you MG had decided to equip the SE with only three tyres would you believe him?

It is a statement of fact Leni, he is part of an MG dealership, not a representative of MGUK.
I know but I'm not letting the opportunity of a wee wind up pass me by

I appreciate he doesn't really need to go out his way to answer stuff on here

That one reminds me of the new owner who discovered, on checking to see whether his new car had the undertray sag, discovered that it had no rear undertray at all! The first thing he was told when he pointed this out was that the cars were now being supplied without rear undertrays in response to the problem of the sagging trays!

It's human nature - at least to some people - to pull some sort of excuse out of their nether regions rather than face up to a fault.

Yeah your right, I was told by the dealer it would fix it… trusted the dealer and it didn’t fix it

The auto-hold fault is a very minor irritation that occurs quite rarely for me. I certainly wouldn't give up the external temperature display to get rid of it. I don't quite see how an infotainment software update would get rid of that fault anyway.

I've yet to hear of any actual improvement that R16 delivers.

He may be a useful source of information a lot of the time, but if he told you MG had decided to equip the SE with only three tyres would you believe him?
You'll be heading for a telling off for questioning the main forum sponsors employee 😉

Maybe he shouldn't talk demonstrable nonsense then.

This time it is demonstrable. We know for a fact that the external temperature display is accurate.

I really don't go with this conspiracy theory that declares that as well as equipping the Trophy with lots of advertised features that are great selling points compared to the SE, MG also decided, clandestinely, that SE owners didn't deserve a working USB player, a radio that stays off, and now apparently an external temperature display.

This last is bordering on the farcical.

Last edited:
Maybe he shouldn't talk demonstrable nonsense then.

This time it is demonstrable. We know for a fact that the external temperature display is accurate.

I really don't go with this conspiracy theory that declares that as well as equipping the Trophy with lots of advertised features that are great selling points compared to the SE, MG also decided, clandestinely, that SE owners didn't deserve a working USB player, a radio that stays off, and now apparently an external temperature display.

This last is bordering on the farcical.
There is saving money and there is saving money, they may have forgot to use primer on the bumpers and ran out of black paint for the Trophy roofs and had to resort to wrapping them, but I can't think of any car in the last ten years that didn't have an external temp gauge, as you say it's how the car knows to remind you about cold/icy driving surfaces

Yes, it's in a completely different league. I'm slightly in shock that any car dealer, let alone one from a reputable dealership rather than a "wanna buy a second-hand car" Del-Boy sort of outfit, would seriously announce that a car costing north of £26,000 was deliberately supplied without an external temperature display. In 2023.

And to add insult to injury, when they realised they'd left the feature in by mistake, they issued a whole new software update to kill it. BAD owners of SE cars, you didn't buy the Trophy, no icy conditions alert for you!

And yet, if you want to know the outside temperature, you can ask the app on your phone to scan the car, and it will report outside temperature in the app!

Frankly, I'd rather have the external temperature display than the clock, and I suspect that goes for a lot of drivers. I wear a watch.

It occurs to me that the safety aspect of the external temperature display is very real. Thinking about it, I'm slightly surprised it's not a mandatory part of NCAP safety certification. Knowing that the outside temperature is below freezing is important for safe driving. I admit when the damn thing keeps bonging at you when the temperature cycles below and above 4 degrees it can be a bit annoying, but I wouldn't be surprised if requests to turn that off were met by "it's a safety requirement".

I can't complain, because I'm on R13, but I'm thinking that owners who have R16 and have lost the temperature display should be complaining to MG on safety grounds.

R46 installed and iPhone has no problems in pairing - in fact it didn’t need to pair - it did it automatically- however interesting there seems to be a bug on the left hand steering wheel star button - wanted to change it to AC or driving mode - did so but it went straight back to power mode - yes it’s stuck on power mode - MG investigating !!

Yes, it's in a completely different league. I'm slightly in shock that any car dealer, let alone one from a reputable dealership rather than a "wanna buy a second-hand car" Del-Boy sort of outfit, would seriously announce that a car costing north of £26,000 was deliberately supplied without an external temperature display. In 2023.

And to add insult to injury, when they realised they'd left the feature in by mistake, they issued a whole new software update to kill it. BAD owners of SE cars, you didn't buy the Trophy, no icy conditions alert for you!

And yet, if you want to know the outside temperature, you can ask the app on your phone to scan the car, and it will report outside temperature in the app!

Frankly, I'd rather have the external temperature display than the clock, and I suspect that goes for a lot of drivers. I wear a watch.
There have been a number of production errors from the factory.

SE cars with rear tinted windows, by mistake.

Undertrays that at one point were said to be part of a batch with a production fault (holes off a bit) but they used them all anyway.

Painted and wrapped roofs.

UK cars with EU interiors (bit of a bonus really)

Now this (if it is actually the case and he hasn't been misquoted)

And does yours have the outside temperature display?

Someone on Facebook apparently has a phase 2SE which is on R13🤷

This seems so common that I wonder if a lot of dealers have realised that R16 is problematic, and are deliberately putting R13 on new cars to avoid this. R16 was already a thing when I got my car in April, I read posts about the vanishing temperature display. My dealer assured me when I collected the car that it had the most recent software installed just that morning. But hey, R13. Super!

I wonder if it's possible for someone who has had R16 applied and who doesn't like it to ask to have R13 restored?

This seems so common that I wonder if a lot of dealers have realised that R16 is problematic, and are deliberately putting R13 on new cars to avoid this. R16 was already a thing when I got my car in April, I read posts about the vanishing temperature display. My dealer assured me when I collected the car that it had the most recent software installed just that morning. But hey, R13. Super!

I wonder if it's possible for someone who has had R16 applied and who doesn't like it to ask to have R13 restored?
I can't remember reading at anytime of a member going back down the versions, you never know though

There have been a number of production errors from the factory.

SE cars with rear tinted windows, by mistake.

Undertrays that at one point were said to be part of a batch with a production fault (holes off a bit) but they used them all anyway.

Painted and wrapped roofs.

UK cars with EU interiors (bit of a bonus really)

Now this (if it is actually the case and he hasn't been misquoted)

My undertray was supposed to have been fixed on Monday, but it's been so wet that I haven't got down on my back and crawled under the car to see what it looks like yet. Mainly I'm happy that the dealer has acknowledged that it wasn't right and tried to fix it, so if it does lead to any problems in future, it's documented.

They're very slow off the mark in fixing stuff that's annoying people. The idea that they noticed that SE owners had a basic safety feature present that they'd decided to remove, and immediately issued a software update to fix this "error", is just plain daft.

I don't know what R16 is supposed to do, but I'm damn sure it wasn't issued to deliberately strip the temperature display from SE cars.

I can't remember reading at anytime of a member going back down the versions, you never know though

If you don't ask, you don't get. My dealer has it in writing that I do not want my infotainment software updated from R13 until there is a version that doesn't destroy the external temperature readout, and that also fixes at least some of the list of bugs I gave them.

I think @Richmorr should talk to his dealer, express his anxiety that the temperature display has gone, assert that this is a safety issue as regards warning of freezing conditions, and request that R13 be put back on.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back