MG4 Software Update Thread

Not making excuses, just pointing out the complexities that have to be fixed before it can happen.

Maybe I did not say it clear enough. MG is advertising a function that doesn't exist yet, writing it clearly among the car's features. At least you had to write "function not available for now. MAYBE in the future"

Maybe I did not say it clear enough. MG is advertising a function that doesn't exist yet, writing it clearly among the car's features. At least you had to write "function not available for now. MAYBE in the future"
I remember the same claims for updates OTA in advertisement for my Leaf 2.zero 5 years ago. :(

Technically the Tesla is streets ahead. But in terms of overpromising (what we are talking about), they are also streets ahead.
FSD will be like a nuclear bomb has dropped in the motor industry once out of Beta, which I believe will be in the next 12 months

FSD will be like a nuclear bomb has dropped in the motor industry once out of Beta, which I believe will be in the next 12 months

I hope it never happens , I do not want to see cars driving themselves. It's bad enough with so called drivers behind the wheel. I don't think it will ever be good enough to cope with the unexpected manouvers or acts of nature that can happen.

IF it ever gets there. I have given up listening to all the wrong predictions. We'll see but until it does, it's another vapourware over-promise.

I hope it never happens , I do not want to see cars driving themselves. It's bad enough with so called drivers behind the wheel. I don't think it will ever be good enough to cope with the unexpected manouvers or acts of nature that can happen.
It will be useless where I live until it can cope with single track lanes, negotiating with other drivers through gestures and body language, to coordinate reversing into passing places and generally handling life in the countryside. Nothing like the open wide roads of the US around here.

It will be huge when it arrives but there is absolutely no way I'm going to be able to buy a Tesla within 12 months that can drive me home from the pub when I'm drunk.

I'm not even convinced that any of the Tesla's currently being sold will ever be capable of it as they are going to need new hardware and I don't believe that they will be able to fit it retrospectively.

It will be huge when it arrives but there is absolutely no way I'm going to be able to buy a Tesla within 12 months that can drive me home from the pub when I'm drunk.

I'm not even convinced that any of the Tesla's currently being sold will ever be capable of it as they are going to need new hardware and I don't believe that they will be able to fit it retrospectively.
Indeed.

Here's some of the overpromising:
Full Self-Driving "should work" by 2018.
-> 5 years late, it is "almost done".

Tesla Semi, delivery by 2019
-> 4 years late, first deliveries start, very low production rate.

1 Million Robotaxis by 2020
-> 3 years later, not a single one, no signs.

Tesla Roadster available in 2020
-> 3 years late, no signs of production yet.

Cybertruck, deliveries begin 2021
-> 2 years late, apparently in production but no deliveries yet.

Indeed.

Here's some of the overpromising:
Full Self-Driving "should work" by 2018.
-> 5 years late, it is "almost done".

Tesla Semi, delivery by 2019
-> 4 years late, first deliveries start, very low production rate.

1 Million Robotaxis by 2020
-> 3 years later, not a single one, no signs.

Tesla Roadster available in 2020
-> 3 years late, no signs of production yet.

Cybertruck, deliveries begin 2021
-> 2 years late, apparently in production but no deliveries yet.
Reminds me of the first home computers. Although you paid upfront then!

This thread is amazing.

Please, keep the flow about Tesla and FSD in Thread 'MG4 Lack of software Updates thread' MG4 Lack of software Updates thread

Last edited:
How often do MG4 recieve new updates?
New module updates and infotainment versions appear quite regularly, certainly every few weeks to months. However, most dealers will only apply them outside routine servicing if there is a warranty claim for an issue (because then they are paid to do so by MG) or a recall (very rare).

Also, applying updates is fiddly and time consuming and sometimes fails, so some dealers will try to avoid doing them.

There is no sign of the long-promised over-the-air updates.

So the challenge is getting them. The first cars delivered in the UK are just coming up to their first annual service, so we will find up how much is getting updated soon.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back