MG4 Software Update Thread

Well after giving the R46 a few weeks of use we can certainly say it's far from fixed, multiple instance of CarPlay just hanging and then the unit locking up. Bluetooth still often just doesn't connect and then another journey randomly will connect. Very disappointing

It's mind boggling how it can be this bad. I had more reliably bluetooth systems 15 years ago and a dodgy aliexpress aftermarket CarPlay system that is more reliable than the CarPlay in this car

It's strange that they really can't seem to get this sorted.
As you say Bluetooth isn't new

Well after giving the R46 a few weeks of use we can certainly say it's far from fixed, multiple instance of CarPlay just hanging and then the unit locking up. Bluetooth still often just doesn't connect and then another journey randomly will connect. Very disappointing

It's mind boggling how it can be this bad. I had more reliably bluetooth systems 15 years ago and a dodgy aliexpress aftermarket CarPlay system that is more reliable than the CarPlay in this car

Don't know what it fixed. Sign recognition doesn't turn on 90% of the time when I start the car. LKA turn itself on when the screen switches from dark to light or vise versa. Radio doesn't always start when turning on the car. Carplay still sucks. Sometime the AC just blow cool air when I start the car, and I have to turn it on and off. I had all these issues in a much older version. The monitor often doesn't tell me who's calling, but only display the callers number, not the actual name. But I don't have any bluetooth issues...

Don't know what it fixed. Sign recognition doesn't turn on 90% of the time when I start the car. LKA turn itself on when the screen switches from dark to light or vise versa. Radio doesn't always start when turning on the car. Carplay still sucks. Sometime the AC just blow cool air when I start the car, and I have to turn it on and off. I had all these issues in a much older version. The monitor often doesn't tell me who's calling, but only display the callers number, not the actual name. But I don't have any bluetooth issues...
Some of those issues have nothing to do with R46, that is only the infotainment system not AC, etc they are all faults with separate modules nothing to do with infotainment.

OMG.. from the Podcast this evening Miles stated that dealers do not see any change log details for different firmware versions. So no change log details available to dealers between v3.5 and v3.7 for example. So dealers do not know what fixes what ! So if you go in for a certain fix, they have no idea which version fixes it. So they have to hit and hope !
Also Miles has stated OPD is unlikely to be coming to earlier versions of cars, despite TJA having the ability to stop the car. So that seems like a real nit pick to me if MG decides not to release that to phase 1 cars.

OMG.. from the Podcast this evening Miles stated that dealers do not see any change log details for different firmware versions. So no change log details available to dealers between v3.5 and v3.7 for example. So dealers do not know what fixes what ! So if you go in for a certain fix, they have no idea which version fixes it. So they have to hit and hope !
Also Miles has stated OPD is unlikely to be coming to earlier versions of cars, despite TJA having the ability to stop the car. So that seems like a real nit pick to me if MG decides not to release that to phase 1 cars.
Would explain why updates are so hit and miss, very poor system if true.

OPD news doesn't surprise me

This does explain a lot and means it is perhaps less about poor dealers/service and more about them being kept in the dark. Miles said he had escalated this with MG and hopefully others will too and get a change in policy from SAIC. Credit to him for admitting this, we needed to know why people are getting such random experiences.

It must be addressed. No manufacturer is going to survive for long without being open with their dealers about bugs, updates and fixes. With EVs this is now a critical part of the experience and people's expectations are set by what they are used to from their phones and laptops: transparency and communication.

That's as I expected. Traditional makers rarely retrofit new features because they see them as an upgrade selling point. I think this is shortsighted but at least nobody can accuse them of advertising OPD and not delivering it - unlike the OTA updates feature for infotainment.

At my dealership (Ålesund Norway) last one was R40 (think R46 has been out a couple of weeks now). It was stated that not all updates fits all of the cars, some get this and some get that due to differences in hardware used in the car (talking Luxury/Trophy). Have this been mentioned in UK?

P.s and they do not know what car is what before pluggin it in.🤷‍♂️

This does explain a lot and means it is perhaps less about poor dealers/service and more about them being kept in the dark. Miles said he had escalated this with MG and hopefully others will too and get a change in policy from SAIC. Credit to him for admitting this, we needed to know why people are getting such random experiences.

It must be addressed. No manufacturer is going to survive for long without being open with their dealers about bugs, updates and fixes. With EVs this is now a critical part of the experience and people's expectations are set by what they are used to from their phones and laptops: transparency and communication.

That's as I expected. Traditional makers rarely retrofit new features because they see them as an upgrade selling point. I think this is shortsighted but at least nobody can accuse them of advertising OPD and not delivering it - unlike the OTA updates feature for infotainment.
It does explain a lot and yes, credit to Miles for being open and honest. I suspect that is why my local dealer has no technicians at all... they may have had one or two, and they left. This is not only a concern for customers but must be demotivating for dealership staff too. As you say, without this changing, coupled with the issues we have all found, survival will be a very tough game for them to win.
I do see what you mean, but not enabling OPD driving on phase 1 cars seems like a pedantic move to me when the cars can take (TJA stops the car) it I believe. Just as Rolfe said about disabling auto door locking, it seems to be simply enabling a software 'switch' with some back-end programming. Now I could understand it if additional hardware was required and new models came better equipped. But these features appear not to need it. This all seems like a real shambles in terms of customer and dealership care and support.

Totally agree, EVs especially are more reliant and benefit form a stable reliable operating system.

The 4 has had various Hardwear issues come and go in the year it's been on the road (at present AC issues) to be fair most have been dealt with in a reasonable time frame.

Unfortunately the buggy glitchy software continues a year in and for me personally that would have annoyed me so much that I think it would have eventually impacted the enjoyment of the cars strong points the ride, space, and performance. I was willing to compromise on quality for those reasons and the price, obviously, but the constant software issues and the need to return to the dealers to have these updated (despite advertising the car as capable of OTA updates) were a deal breaker.

You now listen to the update from Miles and the absolute mess of the system dealers are hamstrung by and it doesn't sound like it will improve any time soon.

Your dealer may be referring to module updates. The infotainment system is a simple download for a central server, likely in China. However fits on a USB stick so not large in size. Your dealer just needs to get up to speed and download it, then plug the USB stick into your car and update it.
Took mine in today to get R46 installed (it went in a few weeks ago for the same thing but they “couldn’t do it” at the time).

Sat there for 90 mins, was told all done. Got back in the car - still R30. Back to the service guy to ask why, he tried to tell me that the car ‘needs to do a sleep cycle to apply the update’ 🤣🤣

I called him out on this, he said he wasn’t a technician, neither am I but I know bull when I hear it.

Long story short, don’t bother going to Acorn MG in Crewe, they are less than useless.

that looks amazing, could I have the code/link to print one please?

It requires the use of nylonPA12 or ASA

Otherwise I can send it to you printed in PA12

Took mine in today to get R46 installed (it went in a few weeks ago for the same thing but they “couldn’t do it” at the time).

Sat there for 90 mins, was told all done. Got back in the car - still R30. Back to the service guy to ask why, he tried to tell me that the car ‘needs to do a sleep cycle to apply the update’ 🤣🤣

I called him out on this, he said he wasn’t a technician, neither am I but I know bull when I hear it.

Long story short, don’t bother going to Acorn MG in Crewe, they are less than useless.
This is ridiculous. What is the plan now? Did they offer to rectify this and give you a courtesy car while they do? Honestly anything else would be an insult.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back