MG4 Software Update Thread

I have had my vehicle updated to R46 today and a sensor replacement after complaining around the aggressive LKA and Bluetooth issues.

From the drive home LKA seemed to be behaving but I need to try some country roads. What I did notice is that the default LKA sensitivity is now set to low. I am not sure if they ha e actually re-calibrated the system at all or just changed the default sensitivity setting.

I am not a fan of the new AC menu. It it more functional than the previous menu but it looks like so thing you would give to a toddler on an iPad, not very modern or fresh at all.

I think it has been mentioned on a previous post that the outside temperature and whole of the top bar across the MG home screen is now permanently displayed even when switching to android auto. This is useful but it really impacts the display of android auto and everything now seems a little squashed. I really enjoyed the full screen experience when display maps, I think this has spoiled the display and we have gone backwards instead of forwards.

Lastly I noticed on the system settings page there is a update system button which I don't remember being there before.

Time will tell if it is more stable I just hope it is. I have had the car nearly a year now and this will be the fourth time it has been in and in the garage over a week. It should not be this hard to get some software updates installed. If it is not sorted after this visit I will 100% be selling the car and getting a Tesla M3. It is such a shame as I love driving the car but the software is just not upto a modern day standard and I find their safety features very dangerous when turned on.

I have had my vehicle updated to R46 today and a sensor replacement after complaining around the aggressive LKA and Bluetooth issues.

From the drive home LKA seemed to be behaving but I need to try some country roads. What I did notice is that the default LKA sensitivity is now set to low. I am not sure if they ha e actually re-calibrated the system at all or just changed the default sensitivity setting.

I am not a fan of the new AC menu. It it more functional than the previous menu but it looks like so thing you would give to a toddler on an iPad, not very modern or fresh at all.

I think it has been mentioned on a previous post that the outside temperature and whole of the top bar across the MG home screen is now permanently displayed even when switching to android auto. This is useful but it really impacts the display of android auto and everything now seems a little squashed. I really enjoyed the full screen experience when display maps, I think this has spoiled the display and we have gone backwards instead of forwards.

Lastly I noticed on the system settings page there is a update system button which I don't remember being there before.

Time will tell if it is more stable I just hope it is. I have had the car nearly a year now and this will be the fourth time it has been in and in the garage over a week. It should not be this hard to get some software updates installed. If it is not sorted after this visit I will 100% be selling the car and getting a Tesla M3. It is such a shame as I love driving the car but the software is just not upto a modern day standard and I find their safety features very dangerous when turned on.
LKA is not designed to be used on country roads , it mentions this in the manual. It should only be of any use on highways with well marked lanes . Never use it myself but I certainly wouldn't expect it to work on country roads.

Can you swipe down from the top, whilst AA is in use, and access that swipe down menu? (i.e. where you find fog lights, ESC on/off etc.)

LKA is not designed to be used on country roads , it mentions this in the manual. It should only be of any use on highways with well marked lanes . Never use it myself but I certainly wouldn't expect it to work on country roads.
It should be off by default then! It is not just country roads but this is my main route to work. It happens all over the city along well marked roads and on dual carriageways and motorways.

Can you swipe down from the top, whilst AA is in use, and access that swipe down menu? (i.e. where you find fog lights, ESC on/off etc.)
Yes

Glory hallelujah. So they've fixed one bug they caused.

Now can they fix the bugs that were there from the start please?

Had our car (eta: ME23, Trophy) for 2 months, on R30, and we've noticed:
  • Unnecessary Emergency braking - for example, backing out of parking; the electric tangerine doesn't trust that the 2 cars parked on either side won't jump into its path
  • Console completely freezes - Radio/ AC/ Sat Nav just fail to respond, audio stops, etc. (pretty much every drive)
  • Will not generate a QR code to use the app. Hangs, and then says No Network after about 5 minutes.

We can see there are Updates Available, but when we press the upgrade button, it throws up a No Network error.

Called the dealer to ask them about it and they told us "Software isn't Service", so would not book us in.
ummm ???

This is shocking customer service. My dealer set up the app for me and bound the phone to the car, and this has never gone wrong even when I upgraded my phone.

I'm not 100% enchanted with my dealer (and won't be till the undertray is fixed), but they've at least paid lip service to the need to fix issues I have raised.

So in that case, would the bugs in the SE software that aren't present in the Trophy be fixed in the SE, or would the SE then acquire the Trophy-specific bugs? Inquiring minds want to know.

Most likely it is still a separate branch with its own version numbers, although the whole naming and numbering scheme could be so much clearer.

Come on MG/SIAC, start giving us a breakdown of the current versions for each model and the key fixes and new features. It isn't hard!

LKA sensitivity stays on whatever you set it at anyway so I suspect they've just changed it to low, not "recalibrated" it at all.
The new AC menu looks almost identical to SWMBO's old 2006 Gen 2 Prius she had, 17 year old graphics.

LKA sensitivity stays on whatever you set it at anyway so I suspect they've just changed it to low, not "recalibrated" it at all.
The new AC menu looks almost identical to SWMBO's old 2006 Gen 2 Prius she had, 17 year old graphics.
Mine did not stay on the sensitivity setting. It would reset each time I left the car to medium.

On mine (R33) the LKA sensitivity stays on whatever I set it but the other settings revert back.
It was set to medium when I got it so I know low wasn't the default on mine.

Come on MG/SIAC, start giving us a breakdown of the current versions for each model and the key fixes and new features. It isn't hard!
The dealerships have that breakdown for every software module, my dealership read me all the change notes for R46 before they updated it from R30 yesterday and the list was some what long.

Happy to say I now can leave the LKA on if I want to as the tugging on the steering wheel now is gentle (stil anoying) but not dangerous any more. The TJA is much better now, it seem to work ok ish on good roads. Whatch out in the curves if they get to sharp as then the TJA sometimes just give up.

Completely agree- Great fun car, software is shambles and each update seams to add only more issues ! I can’t afford to keep taking time off work and doing the hour plus trip to the dealer for all these issues.

The latest software update has ruined my car for me, it was applied at the service despite me saying not to do it.

Anyone else with R46 finding that the HVAC menu automatically opens when you go in to "ready". Not really an issue, just seems pretty random to me...

Otherwise, all good. Bluetooth works fine now it seems, which was my biggest inconvenience.

Anyone else with R46 finding that the HVAC menu automatically opens when you go in to "ready". Not really an issue, just seems pretty random to me...

Otherwise, all good. Bluetooth works fine now it seems, which was my biggest inconvenience.
Mine did that momentarily, just once, last week and I'm on R33.
IMO the software is a bit random in general, especially the start up sequence.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back