MG4 Software Update Thread

When I had a Hyundai updates were shared online sort of unofficially. This was before they set up the online portal for DIY updates
How come no mg4 updates have leaked online? Or am I not looking in the right places?
Because the SAIC servers have to authenticate the update and apply a certificate that matches the car or the update won't install is how it's been explained to me by two service engineers.

So even if you had the update file until the server produces the certificate permitting install the update is no use.

Because the SAIC servers have to authenticate the update and apply a certificate that matches the car or the update won't install is how it's been explained to me by two service engineers.

So even if you had the update file until the server produces the certificate permitting install the update is no use.
Is the process the same for module and infotainment updates though as I'm certain a couple of user's have reported their infotainment firmware updated from a pen drive

Is the process the same for module and infotainment updates though as I'm certain a couple of user's have reported their infotainment firmware updated from a pen drive
I'm not sure it's just what two service engineers are different dealers told me, could just be control modules as opposed to infotainment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m feeling very annoyed 😠

My car has just come out of the dealers, having had its first service.

I wrote a letter specifically asking for the following updates:
  • Front Infotainment Control Module (FICM)
  • Electric Vehicle Charge Controller (EVCC)
  • Body Control Module (BCM)
  • Forward Detection System Radar (FDSR)
The car (Trophy Long Range) was delivered with the R29 infotainment software installed on it. When I went to collect it, guess what, it still had R29. No attempt had been made to update the infotainment system. When I went back in the Service Department to ask why, they told me they had no clue what the R46 software was 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ Allegedly, they have updated two pieces of software (not the 4 I specifically requested) 😡😡😡

I have messaged @Miles Roberts CG to see if he can point me in the right direction 🙏🏻 as I need to go back to them with some ammunition… It just hacks me off when you’re paying for a service plan and you make specific requests, they are not adhered to…

It’s an absolute JOKE!
I have just had the same experience. My car broke down due to 12V battery not charging. I was told there were 3 x recalls and I read somewhere that one was the 12V charging from the HV battery. Service said it’s dvla that should contact me but there is nothing on the dvla website. It was also time for my annual service and I said the same. Please update everything as there is not much else to do for a service surely. I got a patronising response that we will do what is required.

Anyway. Got the car back and I’m sure it has less power. Recalls done BUT the infotainment is still R13 (MG4 SE SR). I know there’s more recent versions than this. I don’t want to be a Karen about it but why not do what the customer asks and what’s in the service. I have the issue that when putting sport mode on it shows snow so I guess I could use that as an excuse to call back.

Last edited by a moderator:
My infotainment was updated from a usb stick when I collected my car when I complained and it wouldn't work properly, .... The tech lad just produced it from his pocket and installed in about 10 mins.
You have to wonder why they don't do this for all delivered cars. Other than laziness, I guess. It seems like a way to guarantee frustrated customers (not to update the infotainment software when it's a 10 minute job that can be done while cleaning up and inspecting other things).

I can also confirm I had my infotainment update done in less than 10 minutes from pen drive, I didn't even have to get out, tech jumped in beside me and he had it done while we were talking, Trophy from R33 to R46, done to address comms issues incl BT, car, I only had the car one week -and those issues were fixed.

You have to wonder why they don't do this for all delivered cars
If you read back through this thread you will see others report that occasionally updates have fixed one issue but have create new ones, the joys of software I guess (I fortunately didn't experience/notice this, but is possible reason why they don't update as a matter of course)

Additionally i had 3 modules updated recently while car was in getting replacement undertray, done to address issues I'd highlighted about the infamous LKA, and battery concerns I had due to poor range - didn't really notice improvements, though possibly LKA not quite as aggressive - I'm currently going through phases of leaving it on to see if me and the car can learn each other's habits ,😂

Bottom line (as often raised on this thread) is people have to raise issues with their dealer if they want updates completed - NOT go into their dealers and request XXXX update to be installed, that's the approach MG are taking.

BTW this was done seperate to a service as car is less than 6 months old, and since it was addressing issues raised - no charge or even a mention of it, though I do believe I've got lucky with a helpful proactive dealer.

I have just had the same experience. My car broke down due to 12V battery not charging. I was told there were 3 x recalls and I read somewhere that one was the 12V charging from the HV battery. Service said it’s dvla that should contact me but there is nothing on the dvla website. It was also time for my annual service and I said the same. Please update everything as there is not much else to do for a service surely. I got a patronising response that we will do what is required.

Anyway. Got the car back and I’m sure it has less power. Recalls done BUT the infotainment is still R13 (MG4 SE SR). I know there’s more recent versions than this. I don’t want to be a Karen about it but why not do what the customer asks and what’s in the service. I have the issue that when putting sport mode on it shows snow so I guess I could use that as an excuse to call back.

You really want the R33 infotainment version for the SE. Another thing it does, I believe, is stop the radio coming on whenever you sit down in the car, and the USB music player works. You could have a read through the separate thread on this version and take notes.

Feeling that the car has less power is a worry though.

I wonder if it's dependant on what you have set on it ? I have it set to Driving Mode and it's never lost this in over two months so far. (R40 on mine)

I'm trying to determine if it would be worth it to pursue a software update. Currently I'm driving a Trophy 2023 model with software version R40. The only real issue I have is the annoying LKA jerking on my steering wheel, which quite frankly is dangerous. Is this solved in a later upgrade?

I've tried to read through pages of this thread but it's a bit hard to decipher what is solved in which update.

You might have the latest already. There have definitely been several module updates over the last year+.
That's odd. They said my last update was around the time my car was shipped. December 2022. I don't know how much these updates will improve the LKA, as noone still is satisfied by the looks of it.

That's odd. They said my last update was around the time my car was shipped. December 2022. I don't know how much these updates will improve the LKA, as noone still is satisfied by the looks of it.
Well, there have been a lot of reports of people getting updates and seeing a difference over the last year, so I don't know how else to explain it.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 531 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back