MG4 Software Update Thread

I can also confirm I had my infotainment update done in less than 10 minutes from pen drive, I didn't even have to get out, tech jumped in beside me and he had it done while we were talking, Trophy from R33 to R46, done to address comms issues incl BT, car, I only had the car one week -and those issues were fixed.

If you read back through this thread you will see others report that occasionally updates have fixed one issue but have create new ones, the joys of software I guess (I fortunately didn't experience/notice this, but is possible reason why they don't update as a matter of course)

Additionally i had 3 modules updated recently while car was in getting replacement undertray, done to address issues I'd highlighted about the infamous LKA, and battery concerns I had due to poor range - didn't really notice improvements, though possibly LKA not quite as aggressive - I'm currently going through phases of leaving it on to see if me and the car can learn each other's habits ,😂

Bottom line (as often raised on this thread) is people have to raise issues with their dealer if they want updates completed - NOT go into their dealers and request XXXX update to be installed, that's the approach MG are taking.

BTW this was done seperate to a service as car is less than 6 months old, and since it was addressing issues raised - no charge or even a mention of it, though I do believe I've got lucky with a helpful proactive dealer.
Which dealer did you get update from. I think it will be very useful to keep a list of dealers that give decent service as it seems they are few and far between

Hi, For the SE51Kwh model,
  • What is the latest software version number?
  • What version number onwards fixes the immobilizer/key issue?
Went in for service today, and a software update to fix the above issue but I forgot to note the version before it went in. Here's what the settings say:
  • MPU: XX-1100R13
  • MCU: 69.1.0.9
Sorry if there's an obvious list of s/w versions for each car but reading this thread I'm getting confused as the numbers are unique to a particular model/variant.

Cheers.

1100R33 is the latest Infotainment for the SE ... check out my thread about it.

When I get the chance I'll access the Engineer menu and take a note of other software versions for the modules that are viewable.

When I get the chance I'll access the Engineer menu and take a note of other software versions for the modules that are viewable.
I feel an idiot now, I did loads of Googles too! Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Which dealer did you get update from. I think it will be very useful to keep a list of dealers that give decent service as it seems they are few and far between
Good idea, though my dealer mightn't suit a lot of ye since I'm based in Ireland.
My dealer - that I find quite helpful and would recommend is Sheils Garage in Limerick.

Just read through your thread, very helpful and informative, albeit I'm driving a Trophy so SW obviously different, but good to hear MG do seem to be addressing many problems successfully.

For me probably a couple of my biggest annoyances are the infernal LKA, so it's good to see the latest SE update at least has a quicker shortcut to disable it, and the laggy/ unresponsive touchscreen - having to sometimes hit a button 3 times to get a response is a pita, did I see you mention you think your latest SE update improved that?

Can you tell us how to access the Engineering menu to view all SW versions? - or is it a trade secret 😉

Last edited:
I do find the touchscreen seems to be more responsive since the latest update.

The engineer menu access has its own thread - and the method is different between Trophy and SE. :)

Good idea, though my dealer mightn't suit a lot of ye since I'm based in Ireland.
My dealer - that I find quite helpful and would recommend is Sheils Garage in Limerick.

There is a forum to discuss MG dealers

There is a forum to discuss MG dealers

Usually I'd agree but in this section of the forum it's a post per dealer there is no easy way to compare them without reading every dealer post

Last edited:
Usually I'd agree but in this section of the forum it's a post per dealer there is no easy way to compare them without reading every dealer post
I agree. It would be helpful if they were either alphabetically listed or by area perhaps with an interactive map instead of most recent posting.

Apparently MG claim to have LKA software available? My answer from Euro NCAP.

Dear,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

Euro NCAP sees Lane support systems like LKA as an important tool to avoid accidents caused by vehicles leaving their lane, gradually, owing to inattentiveness on the part of the driver, or suddenly when a bend has been misjudged.

For the system to pick-up on these situations, it needs to be switched on. That is the reason that Euro NCAP only rewards points for systems that are activated automatically when the vehicle is started.

Euro NCAP is liaising with MG, who have indicated that they already have updated software available.

Please visit your dealer to get the vehicle updated.

Thank you!

Not sure if this is the right thread, my trophy is on R33 and the car has been back to the dealers twice now ( undertray and a misting up brake lights, each time I complain about the Bluetooth issue and each time I’m told my car is on the latest recommended software from MG… so I emailed MG about the software issues, I also included the fact that my ‘charge to’ percentage kept switching back to 100%, I have attached the correspondence below….

So I shall take this email into my dealer on the next visit ( or service) , but I’d welcome comments on the charge to 100% in a trophy …. Have I got it wrong for home charging?

Attachments

• IMG_3340.jpeg
    IMG_3340.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_3339.jpeg
    IMG_3339.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_3338.jpeg
    IMG_3338.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 131
No you don't have it wrong, Gary does.

There are different battery chemistries, which he should have mentioned:

For AC:

LFP/SR: 100% charging always is recommended.
NMC/LR: 80% normally, 100% once a month or if you need the range.

I got this information from MG!

DC charging is whatever you like but the last 20% will be very slow. Not recommended to take it right up to 100% on DC unless you need that extra range - and very impolite if there is a queue for the charger!

In your second post Gary says the car charged to 100 percent as often as you can manage for the trophy. Totally opposite to everything I understood about 80 percent for the NMC battery.

No you don't have it wrong, Gary does.

There are different battery chemistries, which he should have mentioned:

For AC:

LFP/SR: 100% charging always is recommended.
NMC/LR: 80% normally, 100% once a month or if you need the range.

I got this information from MG!

DC charging is whatever you like but the last 20% will be very slow. Not recommended to take it right up to 100% on DC unless you need that extra range - and very impolite if there is a queue for the charger!
DC charging to 100% is worse for the pack than AC charging to 100%.

Due to the fact that at DC there is no potential to balance the cell voltages.

DC charging to 100% is worse for the pack than AC charging to 100%.

Due to the fact that at DC there is no potential to balance the cell voltages.
You can balance separately and the LR should only need that once a month. As the charge level nears 100% the DC charge rate decreases to very low levels - comparable to AC.

It is the very high rates of charge lower down the battery capacity that are not as good for it as slow AC charging.

Thanks, I just remembered that the car actually tells you that 80% is the health mode !

I’ll revert back to Gary and suggest he may wish to join this forum where he is free to debate the correct way to charge a trophy. Unless we already have representation from MG

My understanding now (after several man hours spent researching the net on the topic) is that AC charging to 100% is fine even on a NMC batteries as long as it’s done via AC charging, and the car is used soon after. Not ideal generally, and even more so on NMC, but it’s ok.

As for how frequent this should be vs can be: it should be at least once a month to balance the pack, can be as often as you like because ultimately the pack will outlive the car and if you need the range you should well take advantage of it. The more often you do the more balanced the pack and more accurate the range reading, but yes degradation (state of health / internal resistance) also becomes more noticeable over the life of the pack, much more on NMC than LFP.

And even more importantly it is to understand whether you are cycling the battery from low to high voltage or only recharging partially within the middle of charge (say 50 to 75)

So how do I interpret this on a daily basis?
I would treat both NMC and LFP batteries the same given my usage pattern which sees short journeys daily half of the month, and longer journeys once a week the other half of the month.

Neither pack likes being cycled from low to 100: LFP tolerates it much better, but for practical purposes, NMC does just fine.

I don’t want people to stop buying electric cars because of range anxiety and worries such as how much and how often to charge, therefore I would say: do what you like, just don’t complain if 10 years later the pack is ready for the bin.

Thanks for that, my issue that I complained to MG was about the fact the battery charge percent level keeps resetting back to 100%. I only charge twice a week as my journeys are less than 50 miles in one go. Gary unfortunately opened up a can of worms. I absolutely love my Trophy, never had range anxiety. I think I’m turning into a grumpy old man who gets exasperated by all companies that can’t communicate properly or fob you off (like my dealer)… being retired I seem to write more complaint emails… first world problems … I love this forum and the fact that people aren’t rude and extremely helpful… I won’t wind Gary up too much as it’s not his fault, he’s just trying to make his way on this small blue planet where the dominant species is trying its best to make itself extinct… might go and watch some documentaries on the Fermi paradox… or have my afternoon nap 😴

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back