MG4 SR rear axle noise

I tried this:
Free wheel rotation and:
Front right no rumor
Front left ball rumor. Cuscinetto ruota difettoso.
Maybe other than mine can have the same
So vibrations come from this movement

Pardon, registration plate, number plate, each dealer seems to have different methods of attaching them so bad fixation could result in vibrations which transfer as sound into the boot area. If the plate has any movement or play, pack it out with loo paper and see if the noise stops. At least it's an easy option to check from a longer more expensive list of possible faults.

No replaced for me

Seller Cisa 2000 Bologna doesn t want to replace
I also have the same seller, next week I should pick up the Se long range (Comfort) Orange. I'm sorry there are still issues and the dealership is uncooperative.

Hello, has your issue been resolved? Similar problems have arisen with the MG4 models sold in Turkey as well. The vehicle vibration at speeds of 100-120 km/h. Authorized service centers claim that the issue is related to the rims, but despite some users changing the wheels and rims, the problem persists. We have started to consider that the issue might be originating from the axles.

Last edited:
yes i bought new set of rims and tyres but it's the same. I put a video in you tube, front noise wheel in whicht can hear sound of wheel bearing defeat. i think the car is incident and than sold or there are other problem as suspensions or similar

Test drove a new MG4 last week here in New Zealand. Humming resonance noise noticeable but not objectionable with speeds between 100 and 120 km/h. Seems to come from the front, maybe the air dam splitter?

After a lot of searching, including with my dealer's workshop manager, the mg4 is noisy, and this is true of all the models I've tried, especially from the rear.

Fortunately for some of us, we're not all the same when it comes to this buzzing noise linked to resonance at the rear of the vehicle.

It happens on bad roads, but that's the problem on good roads too.

Insulation takes time (count 1 day for beginners).

The result is a clear reduction in noise on bad roads (probably a factor of 4), but less (and this is a real shame) on good roads (a factor of 2).

You need to focus on the boot and rear wheel arches, and use 4mm alubutyl if possible, because the aim is to absorb the vibrations that create the resonance.

1696452977707.jpeg

1696453009044.jpeg

1696453027556.jpeg

1696453052343.jpeg
1696453067694.jpeg

1696453143874.jpeg

1696453179999.jpeg

1696453247249.jpeg

1696453280644.jpeg

1696453319642.jpeg

Completed with tecsound sy 70

1696453407288.jpeg

For the arches use alubutyl:

1696453459508.jpeg

1696453500087.jpeg

1696453521726.jpeg

1696453539419.jpeg

1696453560910.jpeg

1696453583448.jpeg

1696453597752.jpeg

Having ridden all types of surface for a week now, the results are quite disparate.
On paving stones, I think we're back to near normality, or at least it's quite acceptable.

The resonance frequency is between 40 and 80 Hz, so very low, and even with earplugs it's perceptible.
My impression (but I'm not an engineer) is that at low speed, even a small shock absorber travel causes a wave that reverberates throughout the chassis.
The mg4 has a lot of hollow bodies, so I think it amplifies as it should...
We must be in the 30-40dB range.

On the motorway, no worries except for a very slight noise which I can't tell if it's linked to the aerodynamics. But I think it's resonance noise, which is always faintly audible.
On some abraded surfaces, where it used to be an ordeal, it's clearly much better.
Where the resonance noise persists is when the pavement makes ripples as a result of progressive subsidence or sometimes even on some new pavements.

I spoke to a surveyor friend of mine who builds motorways and he said that this phenomenon, which is linked to certain wavelengths, should be controlled on new pavements. The problem is that often, in the case of renovations involving only surfacing, this work of levelling out with a very long beam is not done, which costs time, money and ..... Know how...
This explains why I sometimes have the impression that I'm hearing more of this resonance when the pavement has just been redone.

To sum up, there's clearly been some improvement, even if the mg4 is still noisy on some roads.
As for resonance noise on 'good roads', I have the impression that it passes under the radar of the butyl, unlike higher intensity noise which is well absorbed.

I'd have to throw some expanding foam where the shock absorber are fixed, but I'm not sure I'd dare...

Enjoy!

You've been very thorough. What tyres are on your car? Are they still the factory fitted ones?
I've tried... even if it hasn't solved everything.
Yes, original 17' continental wheels.
In my opinion, it's not the tyres that are to blame.
Pressure has no influence.
I have cobblestones in my yard, and from the outside you can't hear anything, and in particular there's no noise coming from the tyres.

I can see suspension is very cheap. So minimun imperfection for tyres reflect to drive with vibrations. So i will try an experiment in the next days. The last than i put the car to an mg center

have you got comfort version? Software?
Not at all an issues on my Trophy - don't they have the same set up? Mine is really quiet on bumps and uneven surfaces, and is on the original Continental tyres

We tried out 3 MG4s with the workshop manager: 1 comfort v1 produced in January 2023, a trophy v2 and a standard v2 collected in June 2023.
They all made the same noise.
My wife can hardly hear anything, especially if there are adults sitting in the back.
When I compare it with my e36, my e46 is incomparable in terms of sound insulation. With a new 3008, there's a world of difference.
The MG4 is structurally noisy, but not all of us are sensitive to that.
"Unfortunately" for me, if I may say so, I have very good hearing.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back