MG4 test drive

Can anyone confirm if using the brakes applies regenerative braking first and the pads (like most EV) or just the pads like the salesman told me

Can anyone confirm if using the brakes applies regenerative braking first and the pads (like most EV) or just the pads like the salesman told me
I think your salesman needs to go on the training course or stay awake during it. The car is like most EVs by applying regenerative braking first.

It depends on what regen level you set. As soon as you lift your foot off the accelerator then the car starts braking under regen ... it doesn't wait for you to press the brake pedal to start it. Thus the brakes only, actually, brake the car - they don't contribute to regen.

It depends on what regen level you set. As soon as you lift your foot off the accelerator then the car starts braking under regen ... it doesn't wait for you to press the brake pedal to start it. Thus the brakes only, actually, brake the car - they don't contribute to regen.
This is waht I was told. Niro EV, Megane eTech (the 2 on my shortlist) both applies regenerative breaking first unless the brake a depressed hard as in an emergency and then goes straight onto applying the pads to brake.

so this issue remains unclear I think

I fail to see any confusion ... brakes simply brake the car. If the physical braking force is greater than the regen braking force then the amount of regen is reduced under heavy braking.

The MG4 doesn't do 1-pedal driving - regen won't bring the car to a complete stop.

We have ordered a Red Trophy about 4 weeks ago and eventually got to test drive a Smurf Blue trophy today and was out for just on an hr.
I thought the interior was not as dark when outside compared to when we sat in one inside the showroom.
I sat in the back for the 1st part as it will be my wife's car and found that the last section of cushion right up to the back of the seat needs more support, after about 10 mins it felt like I was sitting on the metal frame that supports the cushion. This could be uncomfortable on long journeys .
I have access to drive the Hyundai IONIQ EV daily so I was able to do a decent comparison -for the 30 min drive back to the dealer.
The seating and steering positions very flexible that anyone can setup a comfortable driving position. The driver seat felt like the heated set was on, but it wasn't ( brilliant for cold mornings).
The car was setup Normal with max regen. Compared to the Hyundai, I found deceleration was not as harsh, switched to adaptive was also 'tame' compared to the Hyundai, however flooring acceleration far superior in both normal and sport was close to Teslaesq (have driven a Tesla).
Keeping an eye on % and range it is far superior to the Hyundai which strongly suggests despite not feeling the regen it is working very well.
Th chassis is surprisingly well balanced for British roads, the half dozen shallow potholes that were 'caught' were very well damped out, however the suspension is not soft, roundabouts the car remained flat with very little lean when taken slightly spirited.
Given a choice Yes please to the MG.
So big question left to the dealer - IF you can get a cancellation can we have it please :)

I fail to see any confusion ... brakes simply brake the car. If the physical braking force is greater than the regen braking force then the amount of regen is reduced under heavy braking.

The MG4 doesn't do 1-pedal driving - regen won't bring the car to a complete stop.
Thats easy to test, can you pump the pedal ? so it goes hard like an ice or does keep being soft ? my expectation is it like on the zoe, you touch the brake pedal it increases the regen until you hit the point where you need more than regen, and the normal brakes kicks in. Hope fully i will get a testdrive next week :)

Thats easy to test, can you pump the pedal ? so it goes hard like an ice or does keep being soft ? my expectation is it like on the zoe, you touch the brake pedal it increases the regen until you hit the point where you need more than regen, and the normal brakes kicks in. Hope fully i will get a testdrive next week :)

Exactly what I wanted to know about the MG4.

Thank you for the link/ explanation

When I had my test drive I didn't test that ... I just used the regen to slow the car then gently applied the brakes to come to a complete stop. As I hadn't pressed hard on the brakes the auto-hold hadn't engaged so the car crept forward when I released the brake - i.e. like an old-school torque converter automatic.

FWIW I prefer this behaviour :)

Is it just me or do you guys think the privacy glass seemed darker than other cars? Which probably made the interior darker than usual?

Was the battery fully charged charged? It might not work if there's nowhere to store the recovered energy.
Most dealers will fully charge the HV Battery to show that Wow the range is 270/281 but that would not give a fair indication of the normal driving and regen characteristics in the 20 minutes most will give you behind the wheel

Oops I apologise if it has been mentioned numerous times.
I couldn't get a seat height which would allow me to exit the driver's side without wiping the back of my jeans on the door sill plastic trim. I can imagine how that would go down with the misses in the winter when it is coated in much thrown up from the front wheel. I'm ursing myself that I didn't check that on the front passenger side.

I’ve got a MG4 and will answer the regen braking question - even with regen set to level 3 ( the highest ) if I completely let go of the accelerator pedal I can get up to 20% of the energy back ( looking at the power % in bottom right corner of the driver display ). If I lightly apply the brake pedal the regen goes up to 25% proving that the brakes do actually regen for the first part of the pedal movement and actual physical braking for the remaining / at very low speed when regen is weak.

Hi, I had a 30 min test drive today, car drives excellent, acceleration is better than my zs ev, car looks amazing, so I was disappointed that I wasn't over the moon with it. I know the interior is very dark, regen is virtually non existent even on level 3. I was ready to place an order today, but didn't, the salesman said I could go back in a couple of weeks and he will let me take it for 2 hours which I am going to do. Am I the only one to not love it instantly?
I really liked the car when I test drove it. But, a little like you I found it very good in almost all areas but somehow a little uninspiring.
EV’s can do this, you can feel somehow a little remote from it all and they can become a bit ‘samey’. I’ve had a few EV’s now , so my expectations may be different to others.
There is no doubting that they are priced relatively competitively and they do everything well.
Would I consider buying one? Yes, I would.
I’m afraid I do still like an suv style car though with the higher seating position. If for example the ZS was given the full MG4 platform treatment and modern styling it would be very interesting.
I would personally like a little more power, and the lack of seat lumbar support is also a big negative for me.
Yes, dark interior, but all quite well put together. Sun roof would be nice.
I would pay more for options, but I guess keeping the model simple helps production.
At this price point you have to be realistic I guess.
The big negative for me with MG has not been their cars, but the dealers and after sales customer service, which I have found in need of improvement.
The price point will certainly make other manufacturers think about pricing - which can’t be a bad thing.
I will probably take a serious look at the performance version and 77kwhr when it arrives next Year.

Most dealers will fully charge the HV Battery to show that Wow the range is 270/281 but that would not give a fair indication of the normal driving and regen characteristics in the 20 minutes most will give you behind the wheel
Yep if you charge to 100% there is no space in the battery for the regen energy to go so effectively the car “coasts” until the battery has sufficient space.

Hi, I had a 30 min test drive today, car drives excellent, acceleration is better than my zs ev, car looks amazing, so I was disappointed that I wasn't over the moon with it. I know the interior is very dark, regen is virtually non existent even on level 3. I was ready to place an order today, but didn't, the salesman said I could go back in a couple of weeks and he will let me take it for 2 hours which I am going to do. Am I the only one to not love it instantly?
Regen..........Was the battery full?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 470 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 7.6%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel