MG4 test drive

Test drive complete.

I really enjoyed it, the car feels right somehow.
They had a grey SE in the showroom, and a black SE SR for my test drive.
Car handles really nicely. Predictable in corners, and can pick up its skirts and scoot when needed.

Dealer didn't know about the oil leak, but took my advice to park on a sheet of cardboard overnight.
No sign of my Trophy on their system yet, but he said it will take several days to scan the Grande Venus' cargo into MG's computers.

The next time he'll phone me, my car will be 2 weeks out from delivery.

Test drive complete.

I really enjoyed it, the car feels right somehow.
They had a grey SE in the showroom, and a black SE SR for my test drive.
Car handles really nicely. Predictable in corners, and can pick up its skirts and scoot when needed.

Dealer didn't know about the oil leak, but took my advice to park on a sheet of cardboard overnight.
No sign of my Trophy on their system yet, but he said it will take several days to scan the Grande Venus' cargo into MG's computers.

The next time he'll phone me, my car will be 2 weeks out from delivery.
Bet you can’t wait for the phone call! 😎

Incidentally I have contacted my dealer about it and they didn’t know about this issue but are now going to add a check to their PDI. I think it is worth everyone talking to their dealer whether you have your car or not, to raise awareness.
Is this the break fluid (item 3) ? Or that battery fluid?

Ahhh . EDIT: it’s the gearbox reduction oil, which I assume the reservoir is around the rear underside of the car?

Attachments

• 0D36E643-7938-48E3-B7FC-DBEE3D1F1D04.png
    0D36E643-7938-48E3-B7FC-DBEE3D1F1D04.png
    852.6 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Is this the break fluid (item 3) ? Or that battery fluid?

Ahhh . EDIT: it’s the gearbox reduction oil, which I assume the reservoir is around the rear underside of the car?
Yes. I don’t know where it is exactly but it is an oil leak, not coolant or brake fluid. People are seeing drops on their driveways and streaks down the plastic under trays.

Finally got my white Trophy today! Happy bunny indeed. Drove the car for more than 20miles and loved every single bit of it, except one. When releasing the foot off the "gas" pedal the car starts to slow down much more rapidly in comparison to the diesel engine car (automatic gearbox). Even when driving down the slope I can tell the car starts to stop much faster. Perhaps it can be adjusted in the settings somehow?

Adjust the regen setting in the car. Sounds like you may be on level 3 strong regeneration.

Alan

The driver can select 4 different levels of regeneration via
the infotainment system.
" Weak " Mode
In "Weak" mode, minimum energy is regenerated, the
vehicle exhibits longer coasting distances and no significant
sensation of over-run drag or motor braking. The
instrument cluster displays .
" Medium " Mode
In "Medium" mode, moderate energy is regenerated. The
instrument cluster displays .
" Strong " Mode
In "Strong" mode, more energy is regenerated, the vehicle
exhibits shorter coasting distances and a strong sensation
of over-run drag or motor braking. The instrument cluster
displays .
" Adaptive " Mode
In "Adaptive" mode, the vehicle will automatically adjust the
regeneration intensity based on the road conditions and
the distance to the vehicle ahead. The instrument cluster display.

Finally got my white Trophy today! Happy bunny indeed. Drove the car for more than 20miles and loved every single bit of it, except one. When releasing the foot off the "gas" pedal the car starts to slow down much more rapidly in comparison to the diesel engine car (automatic gearbox). Even when driving down the slope I can tell the car starts to stop much faster. Perhaps it can be adjusted in the settings somehow?
sounds like you have the 'regen' setting set up high. try dropping in into setting 1 or 2 as this is less.

Hi. Thank you for your suggestions. Tried to set it on Weak and it is just exactly as it was on any "other" car. Any suggestions of how to gain maximum miles per kilowatt? Both in terms car setting and actual driving behaviour. 40mph speed limit area, flat surface or city center highly congested.

Hi. Thank you for your suggestions. Tried to set it on Weak and it is just exactly as it was on any "other" car. Any suggestions of how to gain maximum miles per kilowatt? Both in terms car setting and actual driving behaviour. 40mph speed limit area, flat surface or city center highly congested.
The more regen, the more miles you're likely to get, especially for town/city driving.
Be light and patient on the accelerator and look ahead to avoid pressing hard on the brake.
Keeping the heater off will help, so wear another jumper!
Nothing innovative.

The more regen, the more miles you're likely to get, especially for town/city driving.
Be light and patient on the accelerator and look ahead to avoid pressing hard on the brake.
Keeping the heater off will help, so wear another jumper!
Nothing innovative.
Haha, thanks! Before I used to release the gas pedal and just coast. This was done on automatic gear box diesel car. Was very efficient way to gain some extra mpg figures up. On MG4 this is no longer applicable as some of you have suggested. In fact quite the opposite, the higher your regeneration the less energy you consume.

The coasting bit is still applicable depending on your regen setting. If you are on low regen and have momentum the car will coast using minimum energy, if any, and possibly generate a little to aid miles/kw effectiveness. So don't abandon coasting keep in your toolbox to aid efficiency. You will soon learn when to use min, med, max or adaptive regen accordingly on your journeys.

Alan

One thing to remember regarding regen.
If you are doing a test drive and the battery is fully charged the regen doesn't kick in properly until you've used a couple of % of battery.
Obviously if the battery is full there's no where to put the regenerated energy.
This is normal and will kick in as normal after a short drive.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back