MG4 Trophy DAB Radio Issues

So today is a big day. FG Barnes (Dealership) will be taking the car from me and giving me an MG4 Trophy courtesy car until they can work out what the issue is. I have been told it could take up to 3 months. All of this is due to the finance company (Santander) helping me, I thank them immensley.
Got to say, head of Sales at MG has also been very good so now, hopefully, light at the end of a very long tunnel.

Saying that, I have heard of many other MG4 users complaining about the infotainment system on the MG4, seems to be a general issue.

Would I buy MG again, I don't know. Unless they update there infotainment system considerably then no but we shall see.

So today is a big day. FG Barnes (Dealership) will be taking the car from me and giving me an MG4 Trophy courtesy car until they can work out what the issue is. I have been told it could take up to 3 months. All of this is due to the finance company (Santander) helping me, I thank them immensley.
Got to say, head of Sales at MG has also been very good so now, hopefully, light at the end of a very long tunnel.

Saying that, I have heard of many other MG4 users complaining about the infotainment system on the MG4, seems to be a general issue.

Would I buy MG again, I don't know. Unless they update there infotainment system considerably then no but we shall see.
Let us know if the new one is any better.

Okay, so started off in my car today and .... no sound at all from the radio. Nothing from DAB and nothing from FM either. I can flip / tune between stations but no sound at all.
All other functions on the car have sound, satnav, Android Auto etc.

I have powered off the car and back on, exited and entered the car, locked and unlocked.

Is the radio broken all of a sudden, is there anything anyone can think of I can try ?

My 3 months is up at the end of this and i'm close to going nuclear☀️

Okay, so started off in my car today and .... no sound at all from the radio. Nothing from DAB and nothing from FM either. I can flip / tune between stations but no sound at all.

I have powered off the car and back on, exited and entered the car, locked and unlocked.

Is the radio broken all of a sudden, is there anything anyone can think of I can try ?

I have my radio not always working on start up but it comes back on with a press on the toggle switch up

I have my radio not always working on start up but it comes back on with a press on the toggle switch up
Tried that, toggling volume up and down, switch radio on and off via the screen and the toggle switch on the steering wheel. No sound wherever I do it seems.

Tried that, toggling volume up and down, switch radio on and off via the screen and the toggle switch on the steering wheel. No sound wherever I do it seems.

Does your USB player work? If you don't usually use it, you could plug in a USB with any old .mp3 on it just to see.

With regards the 3 months, it's the first six months for rejection (fault making the car not fit for purpose and they need to be given an opportunity to fix them) I would get every fault recorded and acknowledged then if it persists past that time you are covered.

Yeah, I don't think the radio is only guaranteed for three months.

I just sent my list of niggles off to my dealer today, which is technically three months and one day. But there is no way in hell I am going to want to reject this car over any of them. Rejection is for lemons, not minor irritations.

Yeah, I don't think the radio is only guaranteed for three months.

I just sent my list of niggles off to my dealer today, which is technically three months and one day. But there is no way in hell I am going to want to reject this car over any of them. Rejection is for lemons, not minor irritations.
Depends on people's perceptions of irritations, anything that makes the car not fit for purpose for their individual needs could be worthy of rejection.

There is a member using his 4 as a taxi, if his phone is constantly disconnecting, he could potentially be losing business missing calls I would say that car wouldn't be fit for purpose and they would have a case

Yes, this car and MG customer service are leaving a bitter taste in my mouth....

Consumer rights 2015:
  • 0-30 days: You can claim a full refund for goods that are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described.
  • 30 days-six months: You must give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace it before you can claim a refund.
  • Six months or longer: You must give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace it before you can claim a partial refund, and the burden of proof is on you to prove the product is faulty.

Depends on people's perceptions of irritations, anything that makes the car not fit for purpose for their individual needs could be worthy of rejection.

There is a member using his 4 as a taxi, if his phone is constantly disconnecting, he could potentially be losing business missing calls I would say that car wouldn't be fit for purpose and they would have a case

Certainly, things that are niggles for one person may be deal-breakers for someone else. But I can't imagine that the radio can't be made to work in this car, or that it would really be a matter for rejection.

Mine did that once, I left it and went shopping for 30 mins and when I came back it was working.
I gave up on DAB as it kept losing the signal and sometimes the favourites went missing.
It seems a bit better on FM, sometimes takes a while to boot up but usually comes on eventually. Flicking the volume up or down works for me on the occasions when it seems to be booted up but no sound.
I think the aerial is weak as I had no problems, driving the same journeys, with my old ZS which had a proper antenna on the roof.

I use the FM all the time. As far as I can see there is no DAB reception where I live. I have once or twice switched to DAB in places where FM reception was breaking up, and had no problems.

My niggle with the FM radio is that it doesn't (or doesn't always) move between frequencies for the station you have selected so that you always get the best reception. My Golf seemed to do this seamlessly. I just had to select the station I wanted, and it held it wherever I went. Sometimes in the MG4 the sound breaks up a bit and if I just nudge the joystick to look a bit further along the dial then it comes clear.

I use the FM all the time. As far as I can see there is no DAB reception where I live. I have once or twice switched to DAB in places where FM reception was breaking up, and had no problems.

My niggle with the FM radio is that it doesn't (or doesn't always) move between frequencies for the station you have selected so that you always get the best reception. My Golf seemed to do this seamlessly. I just had to select the station I wanted, and it held it wherever I went. Sometimes in the MG4 the sound breaks up a bit and if I just nudge the joystick to look a bit further along the dial then it comes clear.
I noticed some stations have a "National" label and some have a local label on, I wonder if you have to be tuned in to a national one to get frequency switching ?

Mine did that once, I left it and went shopping for 30 mins and when I came back it was working.
I gave up on DAB as it kept losing the signal and sometimes the favourites went missing.
It seems a bit better on FM, sometimes takes a while to boot up but usually comes on eventually. Flicking the volume up or down works for me on the occasions when it seems to be booted up but no sound.
I think the aerial is weak as I had no problems, driving the same journeys, with my old ZS which had a proper antenna on the roof.
Thanks, however I took the car out this morning, drove 45 miles with no radio whatsoever. Parked up for an hour, left the car, then drove another 5 miles to snooker, parked up and left the car for an hour and half. Came back and drove the car 5 miles, left it for another hour before a 45 mile drive again. Over all that... nothing... no sound at all

Thanks, however I took the car out this morning, drove 45 miles with no radio whatsoever. Parked up for an hour, left the car, then drove another 5 miles to snooker, parked up and left the car for an hour and half. Came back and drove the car 5 miles, left it for another hour before a 45 mile drive again. Over all that... nothing... no sound at all
I wish mine would stop working, as it is I can't take it to the dealer and reproduce what's wrong because it works ok for a while.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back