MG4 Trophy DAB Radio Issues

Thanks, however I took the car out this morning, drove 45 miles with no radio whatsoever. Parked up for an hour, left the car, then drove another 5 miles to snooker, parked up and left the car for an hour and half. Came back and drove the car 5 miles, left it for another hour before a 45 mile drive again. Over all that... nothing... no sound at all
Probably sounds daft, but have you tried an infotainment reboot - holding the home button down for 10secs?

Probably sounds daft, but have you tried an infotainment reboot - holding the home button down for 10secs?
Yes, I should have mentioned that, my bad. Have rebooted the info system too. But no change. I'll leave it overnight and if no change tomorrow... on to the lovely dealer.... again !

Okay, so having left the car overnight, this morning the situation is the same but after the info screen has booted a message appears which states 'USB Disk Identification Failure". This is repeated several times. There is noting attached to the USB ports, info system is R30

Anyone seen that before ?

There is a member using his 4 as a taxi, if his phone is constantly disconnecting, he could potentially be losing business missing calls I would say that car wouldn't be fit for purpose and they would have a case
The consumer rights act wouldn't apply in this case, as the goods are being used in the course of a business.

Yes, this car and MG customer service are leaving a bitter taste in my mouth....

Consumer rights 2015:
  • 0-30 days: You can claim a full refund for goods that are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described.
  • 30 days-six months: You must give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace it before you can claim a refund.
  • Six months or longer: You must give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace it before you can claim a partial refund, and the burden of proof is on you to prove the product is faulty.
Just to caveat the 2nd point ... any refund may not be in full, as there's an exception in the CRA for vehicles.

And to the 1st point ... if you exercise your Initial/Short Term right to reject then the seller can require that the consumer proves that the goods do not conform to contract. (i.e. the burden of proof lies with the consumer, unless the seller accepts that the goods are indeed non-conforming).

Okay, so having left the car overnight, this morning the situation is the same but after the info screen has booted a message appears which states 'USB Disk Identification Failure". This is repeated several times. There is noting attached to the USB ports, info system is R30

Anyone seen that before ?
Sounding more and more like a trip to the dealer is required. Wondering if this error perhaps refers to an internal device, rather than external as such…could be wrong of course!

Just to caveat the 2nd point ... any refund may not be in full, as there's an exception in the CRA for vehicles.

And to the 1st point ... if you exercise your Initial/Short Term right to reject then the seller can require that the consumer proves that the goods do not conform to contract. (i.e. the burden of proof lies with the consumer, unless the seller accepts that the goods are indeed non-conforming).
Indeed, but that can easily consist of "Does not meet my requirements to be entertained by a radio entertainment system for trips I take". for example
If made clear at the point of sale to the sales person, then that counts.

Sounding more and more like a trip to the dealer is required. Wondering if this error perhaps refers to an internal device, rather than external as such…could be wrong of course!
Yep, I have now booked the car into a dealer an hour and half away from me as recommended to me. My local dealer (MG Waylands Newbury) does not even have a parts & servicing department, they send you to Volvo next door.

My radio (DAB and FM) has packed up with a "USB disk identification failure" message when I start up the car. Streaming, Android Auto all still working and everything else seems fine.

I don't fancy messing with the battery or pulling fuses so I'm going to take it up with the dealer.

My radio (DAB and FM) has packed up with a "USB disk identification failure" message when I start up the car. Streaming, Android Auto all still working and everything else seems fine.

I don't fancy messing with the battery or pulling fuses so I'm going to take it up with the dealer.
I had exactly the same issue. To resolve it, disconnect the 12v battery for 15 minutes then re-connect.
Side effect is you need to re-calibrate windows (open and closed positions) and some error messages will be displayed on the dash, however will disappear after driving for a short while.

To re-calibrate the windows, just hold the button until fully open and keep holding the button for 10 seconds. Rinse and repeat for closed position and all other windows

But if you don't fancy messing with the battery.. then yes... get your dealer to sort it

A little update on this...

I called Perry's servicing and had an AWFUL conversation with the rep. All they really wanted to talk about was that I'd be in the frame for diagnostic charges (at £160 per hour) if it revealed it wasn't a warranty issue, courtesy car charges and a two month wait for an appointment... Eventually I just had to stop them and told them that I wouldn't be paying anything for a fault on a new car two months old, and that they should be looking to fit me in a fair bit earlier. I was promised a call back.

After a week, I hadn't heard anything so I rang the sales department at Perry's where I bought it. I should have just done that in the first place because they couldn't do enough. Call back from both the sales manager and then the service manager apologising (apparently all that service booking is centralised), and a come-in-and-wait appointment almost as soon as I wanted.

Today was the day and I went in, they tried the battery disconnect and fuse reset methods with no luck. They took the infotainment apart and the wiring to it was all fine, so they think it's a duff part and are ordering a replacement radio unit - they say it'll be about a fortnight.

Hi everyone I am new to this forum, I picked my MG4 Xpower on thursday 21/03/2024 from Bristol. Travelling on the M4 the radio stopped working, I did not want to start playing around with it, as driving a strange car it could be dangerous so waited till I got home.
Checked the radio and the DAB stations had not updated plus no FM stations, now incorrect time and usb fault, Have any members cured the fault.
So 2 hours old and problems garage said they can look at it in 2 months time good job the car has a 7 year warranty

Have a read through the thread. I suspect this is something you can clear up yourself. (Hope so, that sounds like terrible dealership service.)

Oh, and welcome by the way.

Just to say I'm pretty sure my DAB radio has issues as well, not enough for me to really do anything about but even though it worked at first and I have the only station worth listening to saved as a favourite, it now will show a button suggesting it should be playing but no sound is coming out. I tried to get it to work again a few weeks back when Android auto had one of its regular hissy fits but no luck. Might be an easy fix, might not be but it used to blare out the radio before I plugged in the phone but it doesn't do that anymore... might just be something I did mind.

Not looking for help just sharing. My car's getting serviced in about 2 weeks so we'll see if that brings about any improvements. Can't say I'm super hopeful but hey...

Thanks for the replies, just as a further problem, as there is a fault with the DAB, the time is now incorrect unable to update due to no DAB, a "USB disk identification failure" message when I start up the car.

I want to try the instruction of disconnecting the negative terminal to correct the radio problem, what needs to be done after I reconnect the battery? many thanks

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back