Mg4 trophy sales drop like a stone!

davz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Whilst waiting for Mg to sort out all the problems before a order one I’ve now changed my mind completely due to new competition.

The BYD Atto 3 is now available from stratstone. The price looks very pricey for an unknown Chinese car but the advertised price has a £4K dealer contribution, so £34k against the trophy at £33.2k. The Atto has metallic paint, electric panoramic roof, HEAT PUMP and most importantly rear passenger lights😂
The spec makes the trophy seriously over priced, which I have always thought. The SE is the only mg to consider buying. I can see some serious discounts on the trophy.

To top it all the Atto is available for immediate delivery and a very competitive pcp.

I’m not sure if I should get the Atto or wait until the end of the year for the Fisker sport at £36k, I do know that the trophy is out of the running unless there is a serious price drop!

Well, the MG4 drives and handles better than the atto 3. And it looks better in my opinion.

But interior is way better in the atto 3, that is for sure.

Both have buggy chinese software/infotainment.

Both has their own issues. There has been reports on early rust on atto 3 for example.

And for the Fisker..... we all know that in the end with all additions you want, it won't be 36k!

Despite owning one, I think MG deserve to get a bloody nose sometime soon.
If their customer service was proactive and you felt that they actually wanted to help solve the teething problems with their cars, I would be more inclined to cut them some slack as there are issues with most complex new products.

' Hide and deny' is pretty much their MO unfortunately, they need a reality check.

I'm not a really a fan of the Atto 3, there's nothing that really sets it apart from the many other SUV's around.

However I imagine they'll sell loads, especially with 4k discounts from the dealer.

I'm not a really a fan of the Atto 3, there's nothing that really sets it apart from the many other SUV's around.

However I imagine they'll sell loads, especially with 4k discounts from the dealer.
The 'SUV' craze has me nodding off, utterly boring, but fashions are fashions and peeps seem to lap 'em up.

Main reason I bought a 4, rare to find a fun mid size hatch at reasonable money. MG won't have this market to themselves forever though, they better take a look in the mirror before it's too late.

Whilst waiting for Mg to sort out all the problems before a order one I’ve now changed my mind completely due to new competition.

The BYD Atto 3 is now available from stratstone. The price looks very pricey for an unknown Chinese car but the advertised price has a £4K dealer contribution, so £34k against the trophy at £33.2k. The Atto has metallic paint, electric panoramic roof, HEAT PUMP and most importantly rear passenger lights😂
The spec makes the trophy seriously over priced, which I have always thought. The SE is the only mg to consider buying. I can see some serious discounts on the trophy.

To top it all the Atto is available for immediate delivery and a very competitive pcp.

I’m not sure if I should get the Atto or wait until the end of the year for the Fisker sport at £36k, I do know that the trophy is out of the running unless there is a serious price drop!

Looking at your link to Stratstones I only see £3000 contribution
Les

In the UK, MG have the advantage of an established widespread dealer network, whereas other new brands (Chinese or otherwise) do not.

When Tesla first arrived, servicing and maintenance was difficult due to the lack of service centres and rangers. New brands will find it very difficult to offer a good service from day one unless they can partner with existing networks.

Now, some will say that MG dealers can give you bad service - that's true in some cases - but there are plenty of good ones too.

Buying a car is the easy bit of the ownership experience, but not the vast majority of it.

We complain about MG's customer service which is put down to the "hide and deny" Chinese way of doing business. What makes you think BYD, another Chinese company, will be any different?

£6600 down and £375 isn’t attractive PCP figure for the Atto, that’s right into the territory of some serious, established EVs.
I’d expect that to come tumbling down, as it did with the MG.
For the same monthly PCP figure the MG deposits have come down from thousands to hundreds.

The 'SUV' craze has me nodding off, utterly boring, but fashions are fashions and peeps seem to lap 'em up.

Main reason I bought a 4, rare to find a fun mid size hatch at reasonable money. MG won't have this market to themselves forever though, they better take a look in the mirror before it's too late.

I don’t agree that SUVs are “fashions” because fashions come and go.
SUVs aren’t going anywhere.
It’s been said time and time again many people prefer the ease of access of an SUV.
Easier to get in and out, easier to get kids strapped into a seat without breaking your back etc
I don’t see why body style is important, engine is.
So if Chantarelle buys one of these to get Urethra to school instead of an ICE, great.

PS just you wait and see, it won’t be long until there’s a higher version of the 4 comes along.
That would have been more sensible than their vanity project performance version.

Last edited:

tsedge

Prominent Member says.​

In the UK, MG have the advantage of an established widespread dealer network, whereas other new brands (Chinese or otherwise) do not.

Well Tsedge a couple of points here in my experience of MG dealerships, none have been sole MG dealers, in fact I think the days of sole dealerships are all but gone, my local one has MG Nissan Vauxhall under its wing and when I went a couple of weeks back in the showroom GWM OraCat, in fact most nowadays are not what I call dealers they are franchised outlets for many makes and models and I will bet you any money they will very soon be selling BYD vehicles as well.

I agree with you there are good and bad and some that do care, but the problem is that if the manufacturer doesn’t give them the support they need they can’t be any good and do what is needed example of this is with the oil leak on the MG 4, when discovered the dealer has to photograph the leak and forward the information to MG UK to obtain the parts to fix it, meaning the owner of the vehicle having to take the car at least 2/3 times for the same reason time consuming and very unfair.

You say in you post,
Buying a car is the easy bit of the ownership experience, but not the vast majority of it.

This is proving to be very true indeed in fact if I have to go back again with this oil problem I will be asking for my invite to the Christmas do, no nothing is perfect by it can be much better and far easier to get issues sorted.

I also agree with what you say about Tesla I have never owned one but my son has had a model X four almost 4 years and now a model Y and true when he first go his X there where very few service centres near to him but the ranger service was fantastic, better all round for him living in London as well all know sometimes travelling 5 miles there can take many hours at times but no need they came to him to sort out any issues he might have had and if it couldn’t be fix by a ranger there would be a low loader with a loan car which would come to pick up his car this happened a couple of times and on the same day.

mmm MG as you say have maybe some advantage of several dealers across the UK but they are of no use if they can’t get trust and support from MG UK.
We all know there is many new makes and models just about to hit the UK market, and dealer service and back up will become more important to consumers than many other factors you can to sure of that.
Les.

Last edited:

tsedge

Prominent Member says.​

Well Tsedge a couple of points here in my experience of MG dealerships, none have been sole MG dealers, in fact I think the days of sole dealerships are all but gone, my local one has MG Nissan Vauxhall under its wing and when I went a couple of weeks back in the showroom GWM OraCat, in fact most nowadays are not what I call dealers they are franchised outlets for many makes and models and I will bet you any money they will very soon be selling BYD vehicles as well.

I agree with you there are good and bad and some that do care, but the problem is that if the manufacturer doesn’t give them the support they need they can’t be any good and do what is needed example of this is with the oil leak on the MG 4, when discovered the dealer has to photograph the leak and forward the information to MG UK to obtain the parts to fix it, meaning the owner of the vehicle having to take the car at least 2/3 times for the same reason time consuming and very unfair.

You say in you post,

This is proving to be very true indeed in fact if I have to go back again with this oil problem I will be asking for my invite to the Christmas do, no nothing is perfect by it can be much better and far easier to get issues sorted.

I also agree with what you say about Tesla I have never owned one but my son has had a model X four almost 4 years and now a model Y and true when he first go his X there where very few service centres near to him but the ranger service was fantastic, better all round for him living in London as well all know sometimes travelling 5 miles there can take many hours at times but no need they came to him to sort out any issues he might have had and if it couldn’t be fix by a ranger there would be a low loader with a loan car which would come to pick up his car this happened a couple of times and on the same day.

mmm MG as you say have maybe some advantage of several dealers across the UK but they are of no use if they can’t get trust and support from MG UK.
We all know there is many new makes and models just about to hit the UK market, and dealer service and back up will become more important to consumers than many other factors you can to sure of that.
Les.

I believe BYD, in Scotland, are going with Arnold Clark.
Massive dealer organisation, far bigger than MG.

I don’t agree that SUVs are “fashions” because fashions come and go.
SUVs aren’t going anywhere.
It’s been said time and time again many people prefer the ease of access of an SUV.
Easier to get in and out, easier to get kids strapped into a seat without breaking your back etc
I don’t see why body style is important, engine is.
So if Chantarelle buys one of these to get Urethra to school instead of an ICE, great.
Can’t agree body style isn’t important engine are.
that’s the reason I drive the MG5 still I think the only EV estate at a reasonable cost today.

As for engines I think most BEVs it this sector are very much the same and all do the very same really.so I think today it’s the other way around body style does matter engines don’t.

Les

Last edited:
I believe BYD, in Scotland, are going with Arnold Clark.
Massive dealer organisation, far bigger than MG.
The issue isn't the size of the dealer networks they partner with but how many dealerships they start with. A handful isn't much against national competition.

Edit: I am sure they will get there over time but it could take years to build out good coverage. This is the problem all new brands share.

Last edited:
Not really a fan of the atto, BYD do apparently have amongst the best battery tech available, be interested to see how their blade battery performs, read good things about it

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back