MG4 Trophy Speaker Upgrade

Thanks - your forum profile says Driving: MG4 SE SR ;)
Changed it
1706878110885.png

I’m happy with the improvement so may not do it. The sound deadening makes a big difference to the bass performance and the tweeter upgrade is a big improvement
After more testing today with your settings i'm pretty stoked with the sound, and I haven't even replaced the rear door speakers yet. That's a job for tomorrow after the spacer finishes printing. It's probably subjective but I had to turn down the treble a few notches, the tweeters were too bright for my liking. Or maybe its the music source. What do you use? I'm streaming from Qobuz on my Galaxy S23+ over USB. I also use a bit-perfect player (USB Audio Player Pro)

What tracks do you all like to test speakers? Again its very subjective but i'm always on the lookout for good tracks to use. Here's my playlist! Open Qobuz

Here’s the original tweeter details
Perfect, thanks. I have now ordered some replacement 4ohm tweeters, and should also already have a few capacitors already on order to give a similar low pass filter to the originals.

Fitting will be the tricky bit as the ones I've ordered have a rather large faceplate, I may need to do a little filing for it to fit

I chose the Vibe speakers as they are easy for the stock head-unit to drive and will be ok for a future amp upgrade also.
Hi! I'm interested in upgrading my stock audio system on the MG4 SR. I was thinking about mounting the Hertz K 165 kit (2 Woofer + 2 Tweeter) but I'm not sure since I don't want to add an external amplifier.

How did you determine whether the Vibe speakers were usable with the stock head-unit?

I just want to check, but what size speakers are needed to upgrade, 6" or 6.5"? Also what size should the tweeters be?

And last question promise, after you connect the tweeters to the high out on the crossover, do you need to connect anything to what I assume is the low out, or are the door speakers handled in a different way?

Last edited:
I just want to check, but what size speakers are needed to upgrade, 6" or 6.5"? Also what size should the tweeters be?

And last question promise, after you connect the tweeters to the high out on the crossover, do you need to connect anything to what I assume is the low out, or are the door speakers handled in a different way?
The front and rear are 6.5. Not sure what size the tweeters are. I used Vibe Slick 6C-V7 components. What's important is you choose 4ohm speakers. The Vibes are up to 90W RMS so if you pick within that range it should be ok for the factory head unit. For reference the factory speaks are 25W RMS. You will need spacers to mount the speakers, there's 3D prints available for the Vibes, you could base the screw mounts off those and adjust the height to suit.

Most people have only connected the Vibe crossover to the tweeters (it doesn't work without) and the woofer is just connected to the factory wiring. Seems to sound ok. Maybe the woofer is still receiving highs as well. I am getting a Match M 5.4DSP installed soon, and will be using it's active crossovers.

I was thinking about mounting the Hertz K 165 kit
They should work. They are 75W RMS and 4ohm, mounting depth 63mm. The Vibe Slick 6C-V7 is 90W RMS 4ohm, mounting depth 61mm.

Is there anywhere good people would recommend for buying spacers? Sadly I don't have access to a 3D printer, although I'd love it to be the excuse that persuades the other half to let me get one :D

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom