MG4 Undertray dip/bulge

This is the response from MG customer service.

First and foremost, your dealer need to inspect the car and advise that there is a manufacturing defect before this becomes a warranty issue. I trust that this makes sense.

If there is a slight bulge in the under tray, then this can occur due to the design of the car, usually because of where fittings are located and secured. This isn’t manufacturing defect and wouldn’t result in the replacement of the under tray.

Unfortunately, I cannot comment on other cases, but I can advise that if dealerships have swapped under tray for exactly the same reason that you describe, then they have not done so with MG authority.

I should say that the dealer has also been told that there is nothing wrong when raising my bulge as a warranty issue.

My first post on the forum.... I'm excited to be collecting my black Trophy next week.

I had the dealer take a photo of the undertray today. He sent this saying "as you can see, all is well"

It looks minor compared to other photo's I've seen on this thread. My inclination is to accept the vehicle, but somehow document the "bulge issue" and ask to be kept informed of any official response from MG. Can anyone suggest how to go about this?

View attachment 16168
Can't see me signing for my car until any bulges like this, and other issues, are sorted. It's a new car ***!😱

Mine at dealership today

Looks fine to me
96217186-F765-465C-8D18-1CA1366BC6DC.jpeg

"If there is a slight bulge in the under tray, then this can occur due to the design of the car, usually because of where fittings are located and secured. This isn’t manufacturing defect and wouldn’t result in the replacement of the under tray"

Due to the design of the car, usually because of where fittings are located and secured. this isn't a manufacturing defect😂 quality quote!!

What else is it if the holes don't line up exactly??

Mine at dealership today

Looks fine to me
View attachment 16173
As good as I've see to be fair

This is the response from MG customer service.

First and foremost, your dealer need to inspect the car and advise that there is a manufacturing defect before this becomes a warranty issue. I trust that this makes sense.

If there is a slight bulge in the under tray, then this can occur due to the design of the car, usually because of where fittings are located and secured. This isn’t manufacturing defect and wouldn’t result in the replacement of the under tray.

Unfortunately, I cannot comment on other cases, but I can advise that if dealerships have swapped under tray for exactly the same reason that you describe, then they have not done so with MG authority.
Let me guess - that came from Gary (Not So) Smart?

I have similar minor bulge. Semi-seriously wondering if a shower door seal is an easy / reversible fix if one’s available with a tight enough fit not to fly off. Not measured the thickness of the sheet yet. Feel free to point out if this is a dumb idea.
90D2C8CE-B2C3-4919-A760-8F790B19CF15.jpeg

Where would the shower door seal fit? To the undertray? To the underbody of the car? What exactly would it do?

(Remember that the "flap" part of the seal is flexible).

Yep - attach to the open edge of the undertray that’s bulging and choose one with a long enough “flap” so it presses up against the rear edge of the previous undertray section and creates a barrier to water and mud. If you found one with just the right fit it might work. Big “if” admittedly.

I don't really get the issue with a minor bulge (I do if it is gaping and hanging down), can't see that it will make any practical difference, you don't see it unless you look and the car is open to the elements in other areas anyway, so doubtful it achieves much.

Yes, would be better if it didn't but seems a lot of fuss about something not seen.

I don't really get the issue with a minor bulge (I do if it is gaping and hanging down), can't see that it will make any practical difference, you don't see it unless you look and the car is open to the elements in other areas anyway, so doubtful it achieves much.

Yes, would be better if it didn't but seems a lot of fuss about something not seen.
I’m inclined to agree but a bit paranoid about it sucking up water and everything corroding.

I’m inclined to agree but a bit paranoid about it sucking up water and everything corroding.
I get that. Paranoia levels can be quite high here, eg rust fears on doors, oil leak damaging gearbox fears, loss of 11kW charging fears.

I prefer to stick to problems that have actually occurred:

I get that. Paranoia levels can be quite high here, eg rust fears on doors, oil leak damaging gearbox fears, loss of 11kW charging fears.

I prefer to stick to problems that have actually occurred:

I see like me you are compiling a league table of silly faults. Rusty wheel nuts you cant see because covered with wheel trims was one today 😜.

For the tray gap….. as a dirty fix black duct tape would work….apparently there are aircraft grades for quick fixes and the floor isnt at 40,000 feet.

Or a aluminium flat strip picking up on the original screw locations would hold everything in place.

But thankfully my 24/3/23 car seems to not have much of a dip at all

This is my Trophy built 12Dec2022
Screenshot_20230429_121948_com.android.gallery3d.png

Told to the salesman and they became aggressive responding "and what will you do about it"?
-Well, I expect you repair it provided MG authorises it.
-I have already handed over a lot of MG4s and all are like that. It is not the battery and it is not a problem, we are not going to do anything about it.

I then explained that there is a service bulletin in Spain about the tray, as a known problem. I wrote a comment on the handover checklist to leave evidence that the defect was present at handover and agreed I will contact MG to get ab authorisation for repair (which I'll try to get it done in a different seller)

They even said it was fully updated and the infotainment was on R30 instead of 33🤦‍♂️.

I had left "traps" with questions of known answers here and there to the salesmen in that branch, and I cannot trust any. To "fob off" is a benevolent verb for that place.

View attachment 17192
Told to the salesman and they became aggressive responding "and what will you do about it"?
-I have already handed over a lot of MG4s and all are like that. It is not the battery and it is not a problem, we are not going to do anything about it.

I then explained that there is a service bulletin in Spain about the tray, as a known problem. I wrote a comment on the handover checklist to leave evidence that the defect was present at handover and agreed I will contact MG to get ab authorisation for repair (which I'll try to get it done in a different seller)

They even said it was fully updated and the infotainment was on R30 instead of 33🤦‍♂️.

I had left "traps" with questions of known answers here and there to the salesmen in that branch, and I cannot trust any. To "fob off" is a benevolent verb for that place.
I was unaware of what the 'bulge' entailed, but looking at your pic I can see it leaves a gap in your case anyway that could gather mud, snow or whatever debri flying up or being picked up from the road and potentially create a rust issue on visible components.

I understand many owners saying it cannot be seen so wait until there is an issue but the problem with that is that you could be then without a car for many weeks based on previous experience here with dealers and MG. Preventative maintenance is the best option especially considering some MG4's do not have this issue.

This is just not good enough from MG especially seeing it was one of the later builds with issues supposedly attended to.

Based on your pic it does not appear to be a major repair anyway and just a matter of pushing the material up and attaching it properly to make it a standard fit like the MG4''s without the issue.
If some have the bulge and some do not obviously it is a quality control issue with possibly some fasteners missing...who knows?

I am an aussie and unaware of the situation there but surely there is a governing body who could put pressure on MG UK to do something about this and other issues.

Last edited:
Would appear the MG hymn book is international

I had mine updated a few weeks ago, and when I checked my infotainment system was still at R30. The dealer told me that R33 introduced as many bugs as it eliminated, and if I didn't have any problems with R30, not to bother with R33.
As I'm happy with the car as it is (apart from the bluetooth pairing issue) I'm sticking with R30 for the time being.

A dealer (I’m away from home so took it to a local one to where I am) has just had it off and back on again so they should be. Mines booked in with my dealer week after next to get checked and hopefully officially reported by dealer to mg.

The dealer I went to yesterday thought it was normal because their cars had it too.
Just because a lot of cars have the "bulge" that doesn't make it right, it makes it a common fault. other dealers recognise it is a fault and not all MG4s suffer from this issue but there is clearly something which needs sorting by MG. I understand that it is not a safety recall but the plastic cladding is there for a purpose and like that it isn't doing the job it is supposed to and will definitely have an impact on the airflow below the car and drag down the range and efficiency.

View attachment 17192

I would say that it looks like this under tray has fixings missing , on my mg4 the under tray has no bulge or gap.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back