MG4 Undertray dip/bulge

Now, I don't have my car yet ( :mad:) so I can only make the assumption that the undertray bulge issue is caused by the mounting holes being positioned wrongly on the car frame or the undertray (whichever). The installer probably then bodged it rather than risking highlighting the problem and losing his job (my opinion). If that is the case, then I rather think the best solution is one I've seen suggested before in various posting:
  • Remove the offending undertray
  • Observe and measure (using string, tape measure, cardboard, laser, radar or whatever you have to hand) where the actual bolt holes are on the car frame.
  • Make sure the undertray is flat (boiling water, stand on it, whatever works)
  • Match the measurements of the car frame bolt holes to the holes in the undertray and drill new holes/elongate existing holes to suit.
  • Bolt the undertray back into place with repair washers wherever a hole has had to be modified.
I realise that this task is not something every owner could or should be expected to do, or maybe is even capable of, but I doubt it's a huge job if the bulge concerns you.
I suggest it should really be performed as part of the PDI, pending a proper MG fix (I.e. a new undertray with the boltholes in the right places), when they install the new breather :):whistle::ROFLMAO:).
It'd give the dealer ample opportunity to spot any oil leak/spillage/splash etc. as well.

Again a 26-32k brand new car - you guys are trying to fix /reengineer yourselves. The fact that MG have failed to acknowledge this as an issue (probably too busy trying to not deal with the oil leak issue) proves that MG really are messing this launch up big style. Once Winter time comes - I will not want grit/salt what else going into the bottom of the engine compartment

Now, I don't have my car yet ( :mad:) so I can only make the assumption that the undertray bulge issue is caused by the mounting holes being positioned wrongly on the car frame or the undertray (whichever). The installer probably then bodged it rather than risking highlighting the problem and losing his job (my opinion). If that is the case, then I rather think the best solution is one I've seen suggested before in various posting:
  • Remove the offending undertray
  • Observe and measure (using string, tape measure, cardboard, laser, radar or whatever you have to hand) where the actual bolt holes are on the car frame.
  • Make sure the undertray is flat (boiling water, stand on it, whatever works)
  • Match the measurements of the car frame bolt holes to the holes in the undertray and drill new holes/elongate existing holes to suit.
  • Bolt the undertray back into place with repair washers wherever a hole has had to be modified.
I realise that this task is not something every owner could or should be expected to do, or maybe is even capable of, but I doubt it's a huge job if the bulge concerns you.
I suggest it should really be performed as part of the PDI, pending a proper MG fix (I.e. a new undertray with the boltholes in the right places), when they install the new breather :):whistle::ROFLMAO:).
It'd give the dealer ample opportunity to spot any oil leak/spillage/splash etc. as well.

You are likely correct. Not something I could do but maybe some could, but I think my dealer has been experimenting a little on their demo car.

Not bothering me really at the moment, I felt it a good idea to keep on at MG so they know it's still important :LOL:. Will be checking in with my dealer every now and then though. Car will be going in for a software update at some point too when all the drowsiness issues are resolved.

Hope you get your car soon, you'll love it (even if it has a bulge).

I'll be honest and the gap in my car is not great, I reckon a heavy duty black gaffa tape would do the trick.

Again a 26-32k brand new car - you guys are trying to fix /reengineer yourselves. The fact that MG have failed to acknowledge this as an issue (probably too busy trying to not deal with the oil leak issue) proves that MG really are messing this launch up big style. Once Winter time comes - I will not want grit/salt what else going into the bottom of the engine compartment
They haven't failed to acknowledge it, but they have as of yet failed to confirm exactly what they are going to do about it. If the email I posted earlier is anything to go off.

They haven't failed to acknowledge it, but they have as of yet failed to confirm exactly what they are going to do about it. If the email I posted earlier is anything to go off.
Thats exactly what my dealer said. They acknowledge a poor fit and have yet to say what the remedy is.

I'm not advocating every owner should have to make good MG's cock-ups. All I'm trying to get across is you have two choices if you have an MG4 with a faulty undertray.
One, if it really worries you and you're not prepared to return the car for correction - do it yourself, or get a trusted mechanic to do it for you using the method suggested
Two, reject the car and wait until MG get off their backsides, admit there's a problem and fix it.

I'll be honest and the gap in my car is not great, I reckon a heavy duty black gaffa tape would do the trick.
Instead of free mats...
1667577057220.png

Exactly… and it is a plastic undertray, not exactly a key structural piece and not all cars have this problem, so probably it was an issue in the early batches only.

Yes, they should provide a remedy for it but it isn’t something I’d lose sleep over. We will hopefully know soon.

Once Winter time comes - I will not want grit/salt what else going into the bottom of the engine compartment
It isn’t an engine compartment - it is just a cover to reduce dirt getting near the motor/gearbox. Earlier MGs had no such cover. It isn’t exactly crucial.

My old MX5 had a metal heatshield wrapped around above the exhaust. One day part of it fell off (rusted through). The dealership said don’t worry about it, they are not needed anyway. I had no problems without it.

Exactly… and it is a plastic undertray, not exactly a key structural piece and not all cars have this problem, so probably it was an issue in the early batches only.

Yes, they should provide a remedy for it but it isn’t something I’d lose sleep over. We will hopefully know soon.
FYI unfortunately it's still present on current batches based on my car that arrived at the dealership yesterday. Though if you're referring to at the factory we will see.
As you say though not a key structural piece though. Also as others have said MG have acknowledged the issue, though are yet to say anything about how they plan to fix this. It is a subject of discussion as part of me accepting the car, though not a deal-breaker. At some point how will become clearer.

FYI unfortunately it's still present on current batches based on my car that arrived at the dealership yesterday. Though if you're referring to at the factory we will see.
As you say though not a key structural piece though. Also as others have said MG have acknowledged the issue, though are yet to say anything about how they plan to fix this. It is a subject of discussion as part of me accepting the car, though not a deal-breaker. At some point how will become clearer.
Noted that you have the problem too. I meant the factory, but also it is weird that some have this problem and some have not. I wonder if a batch of trays were made with the wrong hole positioning?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back