MG4 Undertray dip/bulge

The only problem I have with the idea of a redesigned undertray solving the issue is that it won't change the rather odd design where the BMS ( I think ) box hangs down around 10mm lower than the surrounding structure.
The undertray curves around this like an afterthought. Does it need to be in the airflow ? Most manufacturers house this component within the battery shell. Odd.

Are you sure it actually does that? I've not been close enough to touch it, and others have said it's an optical illusion that it hangs down. And lots of people have undertrays that fit. Are these boxes in a different position in their cars?

Hangs down the best part of half an inch on my one, had my undertray on and off many times trying to solve the oil leak, definitely not an illusion.
One of many head scratching design decisions on this car IMO.

Just checked a brand new build and the bulge is still there. No redesigned tray there. Do we think there is a need for some ventilation there?? Not saying it was designed to have the bulge, it is clearly not a good fit there, but I’m concerned about tidying it up (metal bar, some sort of sealant, etc) and inadvertently causing a separate issue…thoughts?

Just checked a brand new build and the bulge is still there. No redesigned tray there. Do we think there is a need for some ventilation there?? Not saying it was designed to have the bulge, it is clearly not a good fit there, but I’m concerned about tidying it up (metal bar, some sort of sealant, etc) and inadvertently causing a separate issue…thoughts?
It is obviously not as intended or designed, i.e warped, so it's a problem for your dealer to resolve. Any attempts at DIY repairs may invalidate your warranty.

It is obviously not as intended or designed, i.e warped, so it's a problem for your dealer to resolve. Any attempts at DIY repairs may invalidate your warranty.

Yes, I am inclined to agree. But that presumes the ability to find a dealer that agrees it needs to be sorted and takes action. If not, not sure which is the lesser evil - doing nothing or sorting it myself.

Yes, I am inclined to agree. But that presumes the ability to find a dealer that agrees it needs to be sorted and takes action. If not, not sure which is the lesser evil - doing nothing or sorting it myself.
Yes, the trick is to find a dealer who has their own budget and is willing to support you, shares your views etc. If you go in with the view of "This is obviously intended to be there, but is defective because it is warped, so needs to be replaced", I think that's hard to disagree with.
Of course it's your car, but consider DIY repairs in the battery area in particular may impact the warranty and potentially the sale ability of the car.

I posted in another thread about this related to water on the road. Basically I lost 40% of the under shield when it was ripped off by puddles from the recent storm. It has been replaced but the replacement has gaps either side of the center bolt. Guess we will all have to be extra careful in the rain until MG decide to fix this issue with a different material or more bolts to secure it

I posted in another thread about this related to water on the road. Basically I lost 40% of the under shield when it was ripped off by puddles from the recent storm. It has been replaced but the replacement has gaps either side of the center bolt. Guess we will all have to be extra careful in the rain until MG decide to fix this issue with a different material or more bolts to secure it
Yes, as @Rolfe stated, mine was replaced due to gaps I found very similar to the ones you mention. This has a detrimental effect on the aerodynamics of the car, especially if you have a Trophy with down force created by the rear spoiler. The gaps will create a counter effect to that down force and also drag, as air collects behind a solid rear bumper. This will negatively impact on the cars efficiency.
Of course, debris and water will also collect and create risks as you have experienced.
If I was you, I would be straight back to your dealer to have those gaps removed, otherwise you risk the above and a repeat of what you have already experienced.

MG Australia have instructed dealers to not fix it and its not a safety issue until they figure out how to fix it properly.

So let's be clear.... if you found your car had large gaps with door alignments, would that be acceptable because it's not a safety issue ?... of course not. This is in effect a poor standard of parts and or installation quality. In short it's unacceptable on a brand new car and creates the potential for damage to occur, water and debris ingress, broken tray etc.
The safety argument is the dealer attempting to fob you off. Stand your ground and demand a replacement citing the above and that others have already had theirs replaced because of this, setting the precedent.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back