MG4 Undertray dip/bulge

I see where you are coming from, but just because it can't be seen, doesn't make it acceptable and I would hate to be driving around with a potentially costly time-bomb under my car. From what I have heard it's a £700 replacement part.

Mine has a minor sag so I’m not bothered too much.
I am half tempted to get my son to get it on the ramp at work and see if it can be moulded back to flat using a heat gun. Although aerodynamically I don’t know what the benefit of the undertray is, I can see its potential problems.

I see where you are coming from, but just because it can't be seen, doesn't make it acceptable and I would hate to be driving around with a potentially costly time-bomb under my car. From what I have heard it's a £700 replacement part.

For a bunch of flat plastic?

I had mine replaced by dealer last week, I'd flagged it with dealer when first collected car 4 months back. Unfortunately replacement still has slight bulge though not as bad as original, I suspect MG are still working through its original stock before next redesigned batch are manufactured.
It seems problem is a combo of insufficient mounting points and the holes on panel spaced further than locators on chassis, creating the bulges
Also suspect MG and dealers are hoping less people read/join these forums because majority of people won't get on their hands and knees to look under their car normally - ignorance is bliss 😁
I'd hoped for a slight range improvement due to better aero (I'm mostly on m-ways), but alas no difference.

I escalated my case to MG and was told that it's designed to be like that. Which is absolute bollocks. If it causes me any issues down the line I'll be using it as evidence for my small claims case.
Yeah they tried that one with me initially, until I convinced them to have a look at underneath all the cars in the showroom

I escalated my case to MG and was told that it's designed to be like that. Which is absolute bollocks. If it causes me any issues down the line I'll be using it as evidence for my small claims case.
Yes, you will hear that. You need to push further with your dealer I am afraid. MG won't do diddly-squat.

(One reason why is that they sold the car to the dealer, so it is now up to the dealer to make the case for warranty repairs. MG have no contract with you).

By the way, clearly when they say: "It was designed to be like that" - this is absolutely true, they have produced the undertray they (mis)designed.

The issue is that the design is bad and proves to be a failure in practice for many people and they need to address it - which is normal, many parts get redesigned on every car for every model year, to improve them and cut costs.

They've decided not to redesign it, and I think the only way we can change that is to constantly raise the issue with dealers and push for a fix.

So, even though I don't get exercised by this issue, many people do, so I am going to raise this with my dealer and I urge others to also.

Complained about this today. Getting it replaced, no questions asked. I live in Norway.
Yeah that happened to me too, no problem. Then they replaced it and I immediately got down to have a look. Unbelievably, they'd replaced it with another dodgy one (if they replaced it). It's being replaced (again) soon. Worth watching, no matter how happy we are with our dealers. Wouldn't trust any of them.
Note to self; stop repeating yourself on this.🤦🏻‍♂️

I called out that mine had a sag when It arrived at the dealer. They replaced it. It still has a small sag, so it's going into the dealer for the weekend to be glued in place.
Can't fault the dealer, they've been awesome.

Undertray update.

Dealership inspected it 13/11.
Informed of MG authorisation today 29/11.
Estimated arrival of part 21/12
Booked in to fit 27/12 (edited, happy now??)

Fingers crossed it’s all good.

If anyone has hassle from their dealers then pester the hell out of them and don’t take no for an answer

Last edited:
Undertray update.

Dealership inspected it 13/11.
Informed of MG authorisation today 29/11.
Estimated arrival of part 21/12
Booked in to fit 27/11

Fingers crossed it’s all good.

If anyone has hassle from their dealers then pester the hell out of them and don’t take no for an answer
It's getting fitted almost a month before the part arrives? ;)

Just had the undertray on my brand new MG 04 trophy (Feb 2923) replaced after cracking and hanging down. Cost me £200 as not covered on warranty and told my fault. The same thing happened to new one after 10 days. Hendy Exeter want to charge me again to replace it. I’m a careful driver and this has never happened to me in 30 years of driving on country lanes. All advice gratefully received.

Just had the undertray on my brand new MG 04 trophy (Feb 2923) replaced after cracking and hanging down. Cost me £200 as not covered on warranty and told my fault. The same thing happened to new one after 10 days. Hendy Exeter want to charge me again to replace it. I’m a careful driver and this has never happened to me in 30 years of driving on country lanes. All advice gratefully received.
Just remove it and don't replace, it is non-essential.

Thanks. The quality of the plastic is very poor. I was shocked at how brittle it is. Would be interested in others views about how essential is - garage telling me it is (of course!!)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back